REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 3, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #196 of 1,534
I know it's not optimal using the HM-601 as source in your main system, but how does it perform when running from an external headphone amplifier? The reason for me asking, is that currently I use an Ipod>HA5000>W5000 since this seems like the best configuration to my ears, even better when I replaced my dedicated parasound dac with the IPOD, I know it's doesn't make any sense, but this only applies with the current configuration, any other setup it would sound better on the Parasound. I really look forward to testing this out, since my guess would be that the HM-601 provides even softer transients than the Ipod, injecting some warmth and body in the music, which would be nirvana with my current rig! Has anyone used the player in this manner? Cheers, 

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #198 of 1,534

Quote:
I've not yet used the 601 as a source to an amp, but should spend some time this weekend with it in that configuration. However, for acoustic music, I tend to like the HM601 without amp even with DT880 600Ω.

The HM601 presents acoustic type music superbly.  The clarity of the HiFiMan, instrument separation and soundstage are ideal, but it is the mid focus that delivers that special vocal presentation which shines with acoustic music, with the guitar strings and finger licks resonating as they should, and the crisp attack of the cymbal rhythm and hit of the drums nicely balanced- it feels like they are performing in my room.  I know it has been said before, but if this DAP measures badly then we are definitely measuring the wrong thing.  For me the HM601 doesn't perform like a DAP at all, it sounds like a solid home system, it has a very "musical" and involving signature. Coloured sound it may be, but what a great colour.

EDIT:  I am not implying that it has the power to drive non-efficient headphones, just that the sound signature is similar to a desk top rig.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #199 of 1,534

I tried using my DT990/600 cans with the 601, and as expected, it failed miserably. Just after the 3 on the volume dial, extremely heavy distortion kicked in. At least I know it's limit now.
cool.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #200 of 1,534
Sorry mate, I forgot to reply and thank you earlier. 

That's just what I wanted to hear and I'll be jumping aboard in a week or so.

Quote:
The SM3 and EM3Pro share some similarities, the EM3Pro having just a bit better treble echo. They are very nice with the 601, but then again, pretty laid back. I like them, but not as much as I like sharper sounding earphones like the ER4S and the CK10. Overall, only really warm and detail-less earphones don't mate well with the 601 and the SM3/EM3Pro are not those phones.

Quote:
I'm currently using my SM3's with the X1060 and S:flo2 and wanted to know if anyone has tried the SM3's with the 601, is it a good fit?

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #201 of 1,534

Quote:

I tried using my DT990/600 cans with the 601, and as expected, it failed miserably. Just after the 3 on the volume dial, extremely heavy distortion kicked in. At least I know it's limit now.
cool.gif

I love my 602 but don't find it a stand alone solution for headphones.  I think the Sflo2 might be a bit more powerful even.  I prefer amping both, YMMV.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #202 of 1,534
I got the AKG K-701 a few days ago for my HiFiMan 602, and it not only drives them to good and loud levels, but simply sounds gorgeous!

(The K-701 are 62 Ohms and 105 dB in sensitivity.)

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #203 of 1,534

Quote:
I got the AKG K-701 a few days ago for my HiFiMan 602, and it not only drives them to good and loud levels, but simply sounds gorgeous!

Have you tried the 602 LO w/ a good amp?  I'd love to hear your impressions vs. the good and loud HO.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #204 of 1,534
I get NO distortion at all anywhere on the dial with the 601 or any of my sources. Even the shuffle 1G can drive the 600Ω Beyers easily. I have no idea why the 601 would fail your DT990.

Quote:

cool.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #205 of 1,534
Regarding the Line Out: is it like ipods where the Dap volume control is disabled (so only the portable amp controls the volume)?  I'm very interested in picking up a HM601 as a less portable alternative to my Touch......

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #206 of 1,534

Quote:
Regarding the Line Out: is it like ipods where the Dap volume control is disabled (so only the portable amp controls the volume)? 

Correct

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #207 of 1,534
Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried the 602 LO w/ a good amp?  I'd love to hear your impressions vs. the good and loud HO.

I don't have a headphone amp. One of the reasons I bought the HM-602 was that I wanted a all-in-one unit.
I might some time get a desktop amp for the headphones, but not one for portable use as long as the player has enough power and SQ.
A better (portable) amp will off course provide better sound, but from what I've read in the forums it's not going to be a big difference.
However I have listened a little on my stereo set through the line-out, and it is surprisingly good! (I did not do a direct comparison to my CD-player, but I am going to soon.)

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #209 of 1,534
i just noticed that this thing has no gapless.completely unacceptable for a high end dap like this one.gapless is important to me because i listen mainly to trance and ambient on the move.
that combined with terrible battery life and the unhelpfull email i got from Mrs T broke the deal for me.

regardless of this,will the price drop after winter or what?i dont need the re-zero wheather it is good or not so will the price drop by $100 int the future?

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #210 of 1,534

Quote:
Are the differences in SQ noticeable between this and the clip+?

The differences are very noticeable and not subtle at all. Which one sounds best will be completely up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back