REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #346 of 1,534
It really should come with a manual instead of trying to figure out all the different things that the 601 can do. That said it's a good thing the 602 came out before since the menus are basically the same with the exception of the dap mute being the dac on/off button

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #347 of 1,534

Absolutely!  maybe we should all put together a Wiki manual for this thing
beerchug.gif

Quote:
It really should come with a manual instead of trying to figure out all the different things that the 601 can do. That said it's a good thing the 602 came out before since the menus are basically the same with the exception of the dap mute being the dac on/off button

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #348 of 1,534
OK originally i thought that my hm601 didn't come with a carrying case, i was wrong.  It was stuck to the underside of the cardboard box inside, so when i lifted it, the case wasn't seen, my bad. So if anything thinks they're missing it, try looking under the cardboard box.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #349 of 1,534

Quote:
Absolutely!  maybe we should all put together a Wiki manual for this thing
beerchug.gif

Quote:

There kind of is one on the 602 thread. It does take some time to get used to and it helps that a bunch of others had the 602 so I just needed to do some searching to ask some questions. The UI while is better than I expected it's not the best but I can live with that. The battery is the thing that's tempting me to sell it but I know I'll miss the sound.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect dap for me so each one will have some shortcomings.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #350 of 1,534
To play all of your music (Create a folder i.e. Hifiman, and then create sub folders with your cds or playlists.) It's working for me, I can also just select tracks and play all from there.

And to create a shuffle with all of your music ( Main menu > tracks > then play a song. Back to the main menu > Playback Order > Random ) 

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #352 of 1,534
Someone should copy paste the 602 guide on page 1 to this thread.  Your screen issue is viewing angle which is a bane for many LCDs though I've never had issue w/ my 602 enough to notice or care.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #354 of 1,534

Ok was listening to my DACPort and 602 DAC this evening.  Man the DACPort is just ruthless and compared to the 602 it's very digital and unforgiving.  I have to say the dynamic range is more extended and it is very, very revealing.  I definitely can get fatigued more easily on the DACPort and that's w/ my somewhat modded T50RP which is a touch on the warm side.  I think Beyers + DACPort could be murderous on my ears.  Surprisingly the 602 is incredibly adept as a DAC.  Much better than i was expecting.  It sounds fantastic w/ its NOS DAC and really doesn't leave much if anything behind as far as detail considering its signature.  Highly recommended.  Using my 602/Arrow combo I can tell you there is quite a bit more headroom for Headphones than the DACPort or the 602 alone.  On certain tracks the DACPort can get pegged max gain driving my Fostex.  No such issue on the 602/Arrow.  The DACPort is obviously brighter and actually hisses more than the 602/Arrow.  If you absolutely have to pick every last bit of detail out and analyze it go DACPort.  Beware of a bit more hiss, less headroom and potential fatigue compared to the 602/Arrow though.  If you listen to a lot of low bit rate stuff avoid the DACPort, it will tear it to shreds.  

Edit - Looks like I found a way to play my 24bit/88.2 files on the 602.  Use the USB DAC.  Odd, wont play through the player but will through USB.   

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #355 of 1,534
the dacport sounds like it would be right up my alley but I already have a dac/amp for my netbook that I enjoy and is not cheap

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #356 of 1,534
How can you see if the HM 601 is charging? If its off and I plug in the AC Adapter + wall socket nothing happens. 
If I have turned it on and then plug the AC Adapter + wall socket I see nothing blinking or changing on the screen?

Furthermore, what should be included with the RE-Zero? (Read that this has been changed over time).
I did not get any extra plug next to the adaptor plug for UK wall socket. Here's a picture I just took.

I have all accessoires except the two in the left bottom corner (random google picture):

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #357 of 1,534
They updated the Re-Zeros so it didn't have that annoying balanced jack which needed those 2 adapters. They are the same, just diff shape.
How long did it take for your package to arrive?
Mine was only sent today ugh.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #358 of 1,534

Quote:
They updated the Re-Zeros so it didn't have that annoying balanced jack which needed those 2 adapters. They are the same, just diff shape.
How long did it take for your package to arrive?
Mine was only sent today ugh.

7 days. E-mailed phone number (required) on 15th, arrived yesterday 22th (Europe; Holland; GMT+1). 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #360 of 1,534

Quote:
Does it sound wonderful?
ksc75smile.gif

Sounds better than iPod Touch 3rd Generation, all I can say. However, had to do side by side comparision to come to that conclusion.
Maybe it's because they are ''warmer'', I don't know. They just have more ''oempf'' (something which cannot be described in words but is just the way it is 
dt880smile.png
). I suppose most would describe it as ''musical''. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back