REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #376 of 1,534

Quote:
@ rawrster - I fly a lot so a transport like the 602 is no biggie.  For actual portable use I prefer the gumstick simply because it does better w/ my phones.  If I need to run or be active its the clip.  Because it has a clip.

I fly well almost never so it does present a bit of a problem. Although the size is a bit larger than the ipod photo from my memory of the size so it isn't ridiculously large by any means but I have my Cowon J3 and before that I used a Sansa clip+. Hopefully when the Nanite N2 comes in (mid Jan hopefully) I'll have a compromise between the Cowon J3 and the 601. Both the 601 and J3 are great but they serve different purposes and have a different target audience.

You definitely got a point about the price. My Cowon J3 turned out to be more expensive after selling the RE-Zero and the sound of the J3 is not quite as enjoyable even though the J3 has the better battery, UI, storage, screen, optimization and actually has cases you can buy. I still need to find something for my 601.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #377 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:
Wooooo, got a 601 for Christmas.  Now I need to find the manual, I'm not having any luck so far.  Anyone have the link handy?

Page 1 on a 602 thread is a good start.

@ rawrster - I fly a lot so a transport like the 602 is no biggie.  For actual portable use I prefer the gumstick simply because it does better w/ my phones.  If I need to run or be active its the clip.  Because it has a clip.

I'll take a look.  I was mainly talking about system stuff though, like how to tell when it's done charging, how long it takes, things to do/not do etc.  Menu navigating I can figure out myself I think.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #378 of 1,534
When it charges it should be pretty obvious. The battery meter on the top right moves from no bars to full bars constantly while it is being charged. I'm not sure how long it takes. It does take quite some time to charge from a fully discharged battery.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #379 of 1,534
bump

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #380 of 1,534

Quote:
When it charges it should be pretty obvious. The battery meter on the top right moves from no bars to full bars constantly while it is being charged. I'm not sure how long it takes. It does take quite some time to charge from a fully discharged battery.

My bars weren't moving when I first opened the player, but it dropped a bar fairly quickly.  I charged it for a couple hours and it has kept its full charge all day so far.

I am going to have to mess with the EQ, right now I have it on Rock but it's still not quite where I want it.  On Normal it sounds too spacey or treble-ly so I need to tweak it.  UI isn't really that bad, just a bit backwards (push down to skip a song, up to go back, center button doesn't always select things etc.)

I'm sure everyone knows what it looks like, but here are a couple pictures I took.  I don't know how it got dusty so fast, but I'm leaving the screen cover on it and putting it in the bag my A5 cables came in.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #382 of 1,534

Quote:
Do you actually listen that high?  6-8? 

I'm not sure, I may have been while I was in the car, otherwise I think it was a little lower than that.  (EDIT:   Listening to it at 6 right now, it's not that loud...)

I am a little confused though, there seems to be less bass when I use my LittleDot amp with the line out jack...  I thought it would sound better but I think it actually sounds worse than the headphone out.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #383 of 1,534
Wow, I've never even heard 6 on mine on Low Gain -- of course a JH16 takes a lot less power than a Grado.

I had a similar experience when I first put my Pico Slim on the 601, I think the headphone out really has good sound especially with the right headphones.

Quote:
I'm not sure, I may have been while I was in the car, otherwise I think it was a little lower than that.  (EDIT:   Listening to it at 6 right now, it's not that loud...)

I am a little confused though, there seems to be less bass when I use my LittleDot amp with the line out jack...  I thought it would sound better but I think it actually sounds worse than the headphone out.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #384 of 1,534

Quote:
Quote:

My bars weren't moving when I first opened the player, but it dropped a bar fairly quickly.  I charged it for a couple hours and it has kept its full charge all day so far.

Same here, that's why I didn't know if it was charging or just doing nothing. Even after 30 minutes I saw no change on the screen.
I e-mailed Head-Direct about this and also asked how long charging will take if the battery is entirely empty. In addition, I told them that they should add a manual for this device. I don't see how it is all that much work to do so.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #385 of 1,534

Quote:
I got mine yesterday. One thing i noticed is, it is not playing flac with 64k sample rate properly (16/64). Anyone else have the problem or it is the norm? 

Also, the Re-zeros sound too bright..the instruments are stepping over the vocals. How much burn in time they require?

Argh..mine is not playing 24/96. Worse the player hanged. I had to remove the SD card to bring it back to sense. I am not able to power off either. Is it because it 3FR2R/LFE channel? I have used these songs only in my PC. First time i am trying in an portable DAC. So, i am not sure what to expect. 

BTW, the re-zeros sound much better after 24hrs burn in. I can clearly see the vocals emerge now. The bass is tight and tiny at this stage.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #386 of 1,534
Pretty sure 24/96 is not supported by the 601!

Quote:
Argh..mine is not playing 24/96. Worse the player hanged. I had to remove the SD card to bring it back to sense. I am not able to power off either. Is it because it 3FR2R/LFE channel? I have used these songs only in my PC. First time i am trying in an portable DAC. So, i am not sure what to expect.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #387 of 1,534

Quote:
Pretty sure 24/96 is not supported by the 601!

?  It is on the 602.  I can't play my 24/88.2 on the 602 as DAP but can as USB DAC.  No idea why.  Yes, 5.1 DVD-Audio has had problems.

If you hang you can hit reset or try to connect to usb port.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #388 of 1,534
I'm sure it was discussed, but there's no way to organize by albums, just by artist and have it list all the artist's songs?  That's really the only annoying thing I see so far.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #389 of 1,534
Alright, to shuffle through all your songs you have to enable the "tracks" option in the main menu. At first songs from the SD Card didn't come up but after "updating media file" all the songs came up, both on board flash and SD card songs. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #390 of 1,534

I could be wrong, I thought the 601 only read 16 bit FLAC, and the 801 could handle 24 bit.
Quote:
?  It is on the 602.  I can't play my 24/88.2 on the 602 as DAP but can as USB DAC.  No idea why.  Yes, 5.1 DVD-Audio has had problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back