REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Dec 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #316 of 1,534

Quote:
rawrster said:

Conclusion...from brief comparison

I do enjoy both the J3 and the HM601 and from a sound perspective the HM601 is the superior product. It just has better resolution and sounds wonderful. It is not the flattest source as I suspect there is something going on in the treble from listening. I know there are graphs somewhere but I can't remember what they look like. The J3 is a nice dap as well however doesn't quite do what the 601 can do on a sound perspective. I

If you look at the J3 and 601 as the whole package including battery life, size and UI the result will be different depending on what you value. If you care only about getting the best sound then the 601 is the choice. If you want good UI, battery and a smaller size then the J3 may be a better choice but if given the choice I'd pick the 601 and I pretty much have since the J3 has been regulated to being stored in my bag as a backup in case the 601 battery dies on me. My 601 battery died on me before I left the house (well my fault as I left it on overnight) and I had to listen to the J3 today. I was thinking during my commute that I miss the 601. As much as I like the J3 which I do it's no 601.

your report was very helpful as i was thinking of buying a J3 or the 601 - in the end i finally decided and went for the j3 since  601 doesn't play gapless and this is a major deal-breaker for me , as many of my albums are concept and i hate having gaps in between.

Maybe the 603 will fix this problem and win one more enthusiastic customer.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #318 of 1,534

Quote:
How would this sound with my SR225s?

Haven't heard the 225 in a awhile but it should synergize very well.  It did w/ my RS1, err the 602 did.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #319 of 1,534
I'm having issues with my newly bought HM601. I insert a 32GB Kingston SDHC Class 4 into it but it fails to recognize it several times. The temporary fix already suggested would be to unplug it, reinsert it and update it via the main menu.

Anyone else having this issue? Please inform me if there's  new firmware available that alleviates this issue.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #320 of 1,534

Mine seems fine as long as I leave it turned on (I mostly use this on my desktop), it only gets quirky if it powers off.  Is this true for you as well?

Quote:
I'm having issues with my newly bought HM601. I insert a 32GB Kingston SDHC Class 4 into it but it fails to recognize it several times. The temporary fix already suggested would be to unplug it, reinsert it and update it via the main menu.

Anyone else having this issue? Please inform me if there's  new firmware available that alleviates this issue.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #322 of 1,534
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #323 of 1,534
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #324 of 1,534

Quote:

Quote:

DAC and opamp.

Perhaps this is clearer: Just the opamp. DAC (chip) is the same, but can't be used as USB DAC on HM601

Doh, yeah.  What he said.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #326 of 1,534
Yes, the HM601 malfunctions only after I turn the power off. I guess the best thing to do would be to wait for a firmware update. It is irritating to have to reinsert the card time and time again, however.
Quote:
Mine seems fine as long as I leave it turned on (I mostly use this on my desktop), it only gets quirky if it powers off.  Is this true for you as well?

Quote:

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #328 of 1,534

Quote:
What do you people think of pairing an HD 25-1-II with the HM601?

I just ordered both! Hope it sounds good =)

I have no idea specifically about the HD 25-1-II, however the relatively strong amp of the HM-601 can only enhance the sound more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back