[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Mar 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #1,711 of 2,011
..and I have mine since 2008, the same pair which I used to write this review. Though not quite as heavily used as back in 2009, it still serve as one of my reference IEM.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,712 of 2,011
Well, to glue my Right IEM, I went with Locktite Super Glue from wallyworld.  It had a brush applicator.  The operation was successful and I am looking forward to many months/years with my Re0s.  I really like them.

BTW I finally tried them out with foam tips.  I used ones that came with my Brainwavz M1s.  I think the Re0s sound even better.  The bass response seems stronger.  I have read about the "shure olives".  I will have to try to locate some.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,713 of 2,011
This is a common problem it would seem. I also had this happen, but to the left side. I used Superepoxy, and let it bond and cure overnight. Seemed to do the trick. I had my RE0s for about a month.

Quote:
I have a pair with a slight problem.  The glue holding one earpiece together is bad.  The two halves separated on me.  I think this happened once within the first 7-10 days I owned them and I just put them back together.  It looks like just a bad glue joint.

Anyone have experience gluing IEMs back together?

I need a recommendation on a glue and cleaning method.  I don't want to ask a hardware guy, who will give me the strongest glue known to man.  I really like these IEMs and may one day need to take them apart and replace the cables.

BTW my RE0s had been ignored lately as I have been using my beater pair (Brainwavz M1s - great all around IEMs).  I pulled the REOs out and put the medium foam plugs from the BrainWavz on the REOs and they sound even better.  It really helps the bass response on the REOs IMHO.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,714 of 2,011
Well, I purchased my Head-Direct RE0s in November of 2009. I posted a small review and pictures then in this thread. I live on an island so something like really nice IEMs are rare. My pair has come apart about four times. I use this not so strong China superglue. I take and put a small amount of superglue on a piece of paper and right away it starts to dry. You need this extra viscosity to help get the glue not to go everywhere. I then put on a pair of glasses and get a Q-tip covered with glue. You hold the back of the base and brush the Q- tip around the groove letting the glue fall in place. My early attempts were to spot tack the two pieces of the IEM, thinking that I did not want to get the glue everywhere. My views now are to really get her done. So many perfectionist folks out there would say this is such a bad thing. How could a set of IEMs ever be the same after coming apart. Head-Direct says do not try and take the front part apart as that is where the packing material is and if that comes out they will not be in tune. I have been taking cheep $15 IEMS with aluminum cases and doing modifications for awhile. The first thing I do is take out the screen in front of the driver. I then use cutting tools to change the ports on the back to see if I can add bass response. I will also close areas with super glue and tack the cables inside the drivers in place. Some pairs I have been working on have come apart and I just glue those together the same way. After awhile it seems very natural to glue IEMs as it is the sound in the end that counts! One set of $15 IEMs post modified is my best pair. There maybe a science to this but I feel I’m just doing what speaker builders did in the 70s by trail and error. I get a set to start sounding good then keep tweaking them. I have been very careful to stop as they are still sounding great. I love my RE0s to much to take them apart. Just a little glue and they are good to go. Today I was playing Sea Change by Beck on aiff lossless in an I-Pod Touch by the pool and I do not think the RE0s have changed even a little after coming apart. If anything they have become smoother.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,715 of 2,011
@ClieOS

how are you storing the re0s and putting them on? I constantly have to adjust mine from falling out. I don't know if this made the cable snap or the driver loose. Alternatively, it could be the stock case that caused the cable to bend too much.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,716 of 2,011
I put it in a relatively large plastic container which is designed for food storage. It is about 100mL.It would seem to me that your are using the wrong sized eartips. Try going a size bigger.

May 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,717 of 2,011
I received my REO's a week ago from Hifiman. I have been burning them in non stop and they are truly wonderful. The plug has been changed to a larger angled version and the cabling changed to a more reliable version.

The bi flanges are my favourite, but have ordered some tx-400 thanks to ClieOs advice.

May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,719 of 2,011
Quote:
How does the bass compare to RE-2s? I picked them up since they are a steal at $29, but I was severely disappointed at the complete lack of bass.

I didn't like RE2 either, but I love RE0. It has much better sound than RE2 in every way. The bass in particular is tighter, deeper, more refined, more detailed - just more accurate by quite a margin. RE0 is also much, much more resolving overall - no contest at all.

May 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #1,720 of 2,011
RE2 is great for the money, but RE0 is better in every way.

May 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,721 of 2,011

Quote:
How does the bass compare to RE-2s? I picked them up since they are a steal at $29, but I was severely disappointed at the complete lack of bass.

RE0 is a major step up from RE2. But if you are not thinking about upgrading, try getting yourself a FiiO E3 might improve the experience with RE2 by a lot, and it cost less than $10 from eBay.

May 29, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #1,722 of 2,011
So there was mention of a new, redesigned and 'better' sounding RE0.  Is this fact or fiction?  Can't find anything on it.

May 29, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,724 of 2,011

Quote:
So there was mention of a new, redesigned and 'better' sounding RE0.  Is this fact or fiction?  Can't find anything on it.

Oh? Never heard of that sort of news myself, though RE0 has had several reversion in the past where cable and plug were charged. My more immediate interest is really on the release of RE272.

May 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,725 of 2,011
The new RE0 also has a different housing than the old versions. It is shorter front to back, very similar looking to that of RE-ZERO. To my ears, this new RE0 sounds significantly better than the old one unamped - much sharper imaging, deeper, tighter bass, more refined treble, wider dynamic range. The new RE0 sound quality is top tier in every way IMO. I just bought a pair for myself and I am thinking of getting another one soon as backup in case Hifiman decides to stop producing them for some reason. At $79, the new RE0 is a real treasure in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back