[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,412 of 2,011
Ah, I see. I didn't really hear any remarkable difference, nothing overly noticeable at least. But it's been some time since I used the RE0, and I just borrowed them to a friend - can't say for sure, but the difference between amped and unamped with those players is at best minuscule, if I remember correctly.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,413 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither the D2+ nor the Clip+ will benefit a lot from an amp in combination with the RE0. The RE0 are more or less in the "sweet spot" impedance- and sensitivity-wise, and both players can drive them well. The Clip+ might be a bit on the quiet side, but that's up to one's personal preference, if it's enough SPL or not.

I disagree. My RE0s sound significantly better out of my Clip + MiniBox E+ than they do straight out of the Clip's headphone jack (apart from some sibilance issues). The main difference is in the bass region - the low end becomes much tighter and better defined. Soundstage improves as well, becoming deeper, more 3D. But to each their own of course. For me the difference is significant, but I can see how for some it may not be worth it.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,414 of 2,011
Amping the RE0s can make a difference. I remember using it straight out of my AVR as well as Sony player and there was a lack of sound-stage and bass in both instances. I needed to EQ it via the Sony player just to get it to sound good. The overall sound was "flat" and lifeless. It also sounded like most of the sound was situated at the center of my head, barely making it "outside of my ears."

However when I paired it with a uDAC (just out of the headphone jack), the soundstage widened and more detail was present to me. Sounds actually sounded like it was coming from outside my head. The bass was OK, I didn't really notice much here in terms of change. There wasn't much space "in front of me" however. It sounded like a lot of the sound was situated longitudinally.

When I paired the RE0s and uDAC with my EF2A and Hytrons jhy-6ak5s, the bass got tighter and more "impactful." This is a level of bass that was for sure not as noticable before the phones were amped. It also sounds like the deeper bass frequencies are more audible compared to before (without having to analytically listen).

When I switched sources to a Marantz CD-63MKII (standard with no DAC upgrade), the player presented the music in a distinctly different fashion compared to the uDAC. It's a bit brighter with a more natural sounding mid-range and slightly impactful bass. Instrument placement seems more 3D compared to the uDAC which sounded "flat" to me. This 3D-ness is apparent through the RE0s and it sounds like theres sounds coming from places outside of my ear, slightly behind my head, and slightly "in front of me." There's not much vertical imaging, but the point is, this experience is very distinct compared to when I used these phones with sources that were poorly amped or with cheaply implemented DACs.

The RE0 isn't some bass-heavy phones like the IE8s. If I could compare the sound on the RE0s with another headphones I own under the same system, it sounds "close" to the K701s minus the soundstage and some mid-range detail (notice I said close, this doesn't mean the two have the same sound signature or presentation, just similar traits). The bass isn't heavy, but it's there, accurate, tight and defined and can go deep. The mid is pretty accurate, and has good amount of detail. The treble to me gets high enough and rolls off before it's ear piercing, which I like. They're great headphones no doubt... been having fun with mine for the past 4 months or so.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,415 of 2,011
Just got mine a few minutes ago. Sound pretty nice out of the box. Making me question my second gr8 purchase already. From memoery they sound similar. I do have a problem with my ears right now and plan to let the re0s burn all next week while on vacation.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #1,416 of 2,011
Listened some more since my ears are clearing up a little. To me a think the bass some say it lacks sound very nice. I can't find a good fit with the buds though. The best so far are the double flange White tips. The black tips kinda hurt. Is there a way to soften them up? Anyway they sound great so far and I should get my other gr8s by Friday going to Disney next week so I will try to review themwhen my ears are working better and have proper burnin time.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #1,417 of 2,011
u should try some hybrids if you have any. The overall sound was good when I owned them. The only thing I didn't like about them was their crappy cable.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #1,418 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u should try some hybrids if you have any. The overall sound was good when I owned them. The only thing I didn't like about them was their crappy cable.

I'm newer to iems. My only exp is the gr8s and re0s and some apple iems. The cable on these are same that I'm used to. I'll have to look into different tips.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #1,419 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. I thought the harshness was the result of double amping and MiniBox's own character coming into play, but if the problem is just the cable, that's great news. Which cable do you use instead of the stock one?

I use a line-out dock from my ipod, but I've tested it with my phone and other things using a thin mini-to-mini that came with my E5. I really only use the MBE+ with my ipod.
Not sure what to recommend.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #1,420 of 2,011
I love the perfect tone of the RE0's.. not too cold and not too warm, definitely not fatiguing.. they do lack in the bass department though, and I'd like the mids pushed a little forward... but I'm swapping between MTPC's, Hippo VB's, and TF10's with the Enyo cable... tryin' to choose my favorite but it's tough.. one has what the other doesn't.. although the RE0's are by far the smoothest sounding to me... we'll see as soon as all my burning in is done...

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #1,422 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of aall the tips, the large double flange have plenty of bass.

I was using them before while at work, but because they stick out so much and the insertion with those tips is shallower, i opted to use sony hybrid tips.. I really like the sound out of them
atsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #1,423 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinxbailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was using them before while at work, but because they stick out so much and the insertion with those tips is shallower, i opted to use sony hybrid tips.. I really like the sound out of them
atsmile.gif

I ordered a set of hybrid tips. Got the White ones. They should make the gr8s and re0s look slick. Hope they sound as good as the double
flange though.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #1,424 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinxbailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

I ordered a set of hybrid tips. Got the White ones. They should make the gr8s and re0s look slick. Hope they sound as good as the double
flange though.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #1,425 of 2,011
You just have to experiment with tips. That;s why after a while you tend to have a bunch of tips at your disposal since eah iem have different tips to use to get their best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back