[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Feb 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #1,231 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting you should say that.
I tried something similar myself (see the pictures)
It warmed the RE0 up a little and gave a little more ooomph down low, but i felt the soundstage dropped off, so i took the foam out.
Really its just an addition to the foam in the stem idea (its not as bad as it looks).
k701smile.gif

re0tip2.jpg

re0tip1.jpg

Quite interesting. You could also insert a piece with half the length and see if there is any difference.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #1,233 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_Nsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a kind of joke isn't it? I hope it is clear for everybody...

Well, I tried to make it into a joke, but I guess considering that there are audiophile cables and other materials, there could well be audiophile cotton.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #1,235 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main question is did you have the cotton cryo treated first? Only true audiophiles use cryo cotton.

Remember to replace it often (at full cost of course) for maximum effect.
tongue.gif

Hmm... Can you reliably open the RE0 housing without harming the driver? If so, maybe recabling could be possible. Ideally I'd want to have some really thick durable cables that would last a while.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #1,237 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
made me smile

Not so fast, not till you tried cryo treated silk bundle for its 'silky' sound
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,242 of 2,011
After experimenting a bit with the stock foam inside the RE0 nozzle, I was able to put it in in such a way that I get a completely flat treble with no spikes. Before I registered spikes around 12 kHz and 14 kHz, but now they are both gone. RE0 sounds very nice now - like a high-end studio monitor.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,243 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After experimenting a bit with the stock foam inside the RE0 nozzle, I was able to put it in in such a way that I get a completely flat treble with no spikes. Before I registered spikes around 12 kHz and 14 kHz, but now they are both gone. RE0 sounds very nice now - like a high-end studio monitor.
biggrin.gif

It certainly makes it easier to experiment with different size and density of foam when its going in the tip (biflange medium or large).
I find not only does it smooth the treble a bit, but the lower bass thump (ie: kick drum) comes through punchier.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #1,244 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly makes it easier to experiment with different size and density of foam when its going in the tip (biflange medium or large).
I find not only does it smooth the treble a bit, but the lower bass thump (ie: kick drum) comes through punchier.

Maybe it's psychological, but I find that the stock foams sound best with RE0. All other ones I tried add a coloration that I don't like.

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,245 of 2,011
So I am just listening the the RE0 amped for the first time, it isn't as dramatic as I hoped in my head but everything does sound better. But wow does my P2 improve the bass, it is pretty decent now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back