[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,216 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could EQ them; they respond pretty well, but you still can't make bass monsters out of them.

The hybrids "add" more clarity at the expense of a little bass quantity. Definitely worth a try.

Yeah I think I like the sound from the hybrids the best so far.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #1,217 of 2,011
Just switched from the mid-size bi-flange to large bi-flange. Isolation improved. I felt a 1-2 db increase in bass. While I appreciate the extra bit of warmth, it was putting way too pressure on my ear canals. Ouch... I'll stick with the mid-size. It has adequate warmth through the uDAC for my taste, anyways.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #1,219 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just switched from the mid-size bi-flange to large bi-flange. Isolation improved. I felt a 1-2 db increase in bass. While I appreciate the extra bit of warmth, it was putting way too pressure on my ear canals. Ouch... I'll stick with the mid-size. It has adequate warmth through the uDAC for my taste, anyways.

I think the big bi flange tips are only supposed to go in as shallowly as possible; they shouldn't hurt by any means.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #1,221 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the big bi flange tips are only supposed to go in as shallowly as possible; they shouldn't hurt by any means.

Yep , there's no way that back flange is going to go into the ear canal.
I cut the back flange off mine. It allows better insertion and seal of the front flange for me.
These are the best sounding tips that ship with the RE0s.
I agree soundstage is better with these tips. Longer stem, shallow insertion maybe.

re0tip.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #1,223 of 2,011
I cut the back off the large biflange and it still makes my ears sore after a few minutes cause they're so big! Hopefully the hybrids from eBay work out for me.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #1,224 of 2,011
Feb 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #1,225 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_Nsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some pic's of the RE0 inside made by myself.

Thanks. Finally got to see the inside of RE0
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,226 of 2,011
Quote:

There are some pic's of the RE0 inside made by myself.
The text is in russian tough...may be I 'll translate it later...or you should try to translate it from russian by google
Форум
http://alexmod.do.am/_fr/0/8057026.jpg
http://alexmod.do.am/_fr/0/6480392.jpg
http://alexmod.do.am/_fr/0/5465149.jpg
http://alexmod.do.am/_fr/0/9286092.jpg

I read that Alex put a piece of "audiophile" cotton inside the RE0 nozzle to tame the upper mid/treble region. A obichnaya vata ne podoidet?
biggrin.gif

Alex also seems to like Sleek SA6 a lot and rates them even higher than RE0. I also likes SA6 - maybe I should try it again. I thought micro-dynamics on the SA6 were a bit lacking though. A ti Alex Ortofon e-Q7 slytchayno ne slyshal? Wot tam micro-dinamica deistvitelno classnaya (IMO conechno)!

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #1,227 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that Alex put a piece of "audiophile" cotton inside the RE0 nozzle to tame the upper mid/treble region. A obichnaya vata ne podoidet?
biggrin.gif

It is a kind of joke isn't it? I hope it is clear for everybody...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex also seems to like Sleek SA6 a lot and rates them even higher than RE0. I also likes SA6 - maybe I should try it again. I thought micro-dynamics on the SA6 were a bit lacking though. A ti Alex Ortofon e-Q7 slytchayno ne slyshal? Wot tam micro-dinamica deistvitelno classnaya (IMO conechno)!

I always MUST to say that SA6 "as is" - isn't good enought in terms of tonal integrity. Try connect 'em to the good source (as my aleXmod for example
wink.gif
) throu the resistanse of 47...68hm to taste. It's do the best. Frecuency responce could to be corrected in needed way by this. Also improves the accuracy of mid/vocal region. It closes the sound of SA6 to the neitrality of ER4, but without bass descents and high frecuency harsh/sibbilanses.
Unfortunately I dont listen to ORTOFONs ever, so nichego ne skazu po ih povodu.
BTW It may be interesting for you as AMP3 owner. I dissassemble it in 2009 and made a kind of DIYmod for it. Some pic's is there and in my site (see link above)

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #1,228 of 2,011
Quote:

It is a kind of joke isn't it? I hope it is clear for everybody...

I always MUST to say that SA6 "as is" - isn't good enought in terms of tonal integrity.

Does "audiophile cotton" come off the end of a Q-tip? If not, then I'm not sure I get the joke either.

Alex, do you also prefer the SA6 to the RE0 or the other way around?

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #1,229 of 2,011
It's joke. I use ordinary cotton pads in little quantity, place them inside of the silicon tips. It is get good tonal balance on the unwarmed RE0. When Re0 has warmed i just uninstall it.
After all I think that SA6 feeded throu the 56 Ohm resistance is the best IEM for me. RE0 stay close but loose some microdetails, sounds more smoth, as ordinary dynamics, not balanced armatures.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,230 of 2,011
Quote:

It's joke. I use ordinary cotton pads in little quantity, place them inside of the silicon tips. It is get good tonal balance on the unwarmed RE0. When Re0 has warmed i just uninstall it.
After all I think that SA6 feeded throu the 56 Ohm resistance is the best IEM for me. RE0 stay close but loose some microdetails, sounds more smoth, as ordinary dynamics, not balanced armatures.

Interesting you should say that.
I tried something similar myself (see the pictures)
It warmed the RE0 up a little and gave a little more ooomph down low, but i felt the soundstage dropped off, so i took the foam out.
Really its just an addition to the foam in the stem idea (its not as bad as it looks).
k701smile.gif

re0tip2.jpg

re0tip1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back