[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Oct 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #691 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah...fantastic. I must have missed this before. I've been going through your post history and see you're exactly the user I've been searching for. Going through your postings now...

Thanks!! I've got a pair of Super.Fi 5 v2's from Fry's now, but am just about dead set on the RE0's. Tonight I saw a comparison of the soundstage from Ety ER6i to RE0 and that sealed the deal. Time to start researching tips and stuff.

Looks like I'll get in on the $99 and the new cable + 90 degree cord too! I know it's been asked before, but does anyone have an ETA on shipping time for these?

Just checking back in after having been away for a number of days. Glad to be of help.

Give the RE0s some time to really shine. The bass does need some time to develop and though it will never be knock-your-socks-off loud, it does become more pronounced over time. Regarding tips -- try some modified olives. To my ear they sound better than any of the stock tips and, of course, are very comfortable.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #693 of 2,011
Sorry, I've got no secret suppliers... The best I could find using Teh Great Gizoogle is between $15 and $20 depending on shipping/tax for 5 pair. Fortunately, the olives do last for quite a while. With good care and some occasional minor cleaning a pair can be used for several months, so that 5 pair pack should last you for a year or more. By comparison, 5 pair of Comply T-400s will barely get you through New Years day...

BTW, some people use the decored olives right on the RE0s. I've found they fit better and stay snugger on the RE0s if you place the decored olive over the tube core from the T-400, which fits nicely on the RE0 nozzle. Maybe I did a bad job of decoring the olives, because w/o the T400 tube they are too loose when put directly on the RE0.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #694 of 2,011
What I found is that the vocal was rather laid back, slightly lacked warmth for my liking and bass could be more punchy. So I decided to do the foam mod - it sounds so good now - just enough without unbalancing the rest specturm. While there is huge improvements imo, I wondering why there is foam in there by default.

Main-while the 3.5mm connector is beginning to develop faults - when I have the mp3 in my pocket, the sound cuts in-and-out in one ear. Sometimes there is no sound from one side at all... not great since I only got them weeks ago.
frown.gif

Probably will have to send it back to China - and be earphoneless for two or three weeks.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #695 of 2,011
I'm returning RE0 for a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna tomorrow.

RE0 was excellent pair of earphone - don't get me wrong, but just not for me. I've learned from using RE0, that I like a bit more bass, and far more mellow vocal, like to feel the more direct sort of presentation - don't mind the highs as long as its not excessively harsh. RE0 does all the frequencies well, it present all of which in extremely balanced sense too - but its the way how those frequencies are mashed together that annoys me slightly, the sound-stage is simply absent imo; as result there is a lack of musical depth. Hopefully Fischer Audio Eterna will fit my bill with wider sound stage.

Edit: that's assuming I could find a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
without learning Russian.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #696 of 2,011
Ordered and shipped on the 28th of October, a Wednesday from NY. I received them in AZ on Halloween, that Saturday. 3 days was about 7 less than what I expected.
biggrin.gif

The largest set of tips seem to fit/sound the best, but do become uncomfortable after long. The comply T-400's however fit much nicer, if somewhat dulling the sound signature.

Which by the way presents vocals in a way I've never heard on an IEM. I'm listening completely uneqed on the Sony NWZ-S616F by the way. Unfortunately, there are some songs and moments when I do wish they had a bit more kick in the bass (coming from the Super.Fi 5 v2's).

The soundstage's definitely larger than my Etymotic ER6i's and not much less than the Super.Fi 5 v2's, although sounds do tend to eat up each other's space at times. They have a very natural sound to them that I'm digging. I'll give them a full workout before making any decisions though.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #697 of 2,011
Which tips would be good to use with the RE0 and my Sansa Fuze (No/flat EQ)

I'm currently using the large clear double flange tips that came with the RE0, but want something that isolates a little more and is easier to put in (The clear flanges are comfortable but it just annoys me how you have to fiddle for a while to get a good seal and it usually involves that weird reaching over your head method of insertion)

I'm guessing I should look at foams? if so which type and size would be best - I don't want to get the wrong size and waste £10 or something. The large clear double flange has been the best fitting so far so I'm guessing large size foams?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #698 of 2,011
Also is it worth buying some of those Phonak silicon ear guides that user DFKT posted in a picture on page 46? Everytime I wear these over ear they fall off after about 5 minutes or lose isolation because they start falling out and lose the seal. Will those ear guides keep them in place well?

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #699 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Badsam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing I should look at foams? if so which type and size would be best - I don't want to get the wrong size and waste £10 or something. The large clear double flange has been the best fitting so far so I'm guessing large size foams?

If you are going for the Comply T400, then there is only one universal size. Thanks for the correction, |joker|.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #700 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going for the Comply T400, then there is only one universal size.

Sadly, I don't think that's true anymore, making things even more complicated. T400s now come in S/M/L sizes, at least when purchased directly from Comply.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #701 of 2,011
Hello everyone, my re0 arried today. I ordered through Ken from aloaudio because I ordered a sony d25 cd player at the seem time. I tried the re0 on and I wear them over the ear jus tlike i do with my ie8. I am not sure if I have the newer cable though, i got a cable + an extension cord and eartips all in a plastic box. The cable worries me though, it is REALLY thin especially the parts that come from the iem themselves, as thin as some of my headset cables and they break really soon. I must say when I put them in I was surprised by the isolation I got from just the standard tips, my computers fan noise was totally blocked. I also find them comfortable and do not mind the microphonics, although i must say I dont wear iems when walking around jus twhen sitting in the bus etc. My first listen, i found the sound balanced and monitor-like. I really liked the midrange but I do find the sound a bit harsh and I had to turn the volume down a bit after a few minutes because I found the sound to become fatiguing. I thought i might nog like the soundstage because I got used to the ie8s soundstage but I did not min d it probbably because although the soundstage is larger with the ie8 the imaging and instrument separation of the re0 are still good. I do find the sound a bit harsh at the moment, maybe burn in will fix it. I think they sound TERRIFFIC for 99 dollar which is even less in euros I do have concerns with its durability though especially since I eventually will have to replace filters and I am afraid of cable breakage. I hope they will eventually stop using filters and just include a cleaning tool.
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #702 of 2,011
My cable broke with in a week of usage - when I get the replacement, I'm going to put the L-connector into a plastic mold or something... the earphone itself is extremely solid, but their revision of PPC cable definitely aren't durable at all.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #703 of 2,011
I didn't get the extension cable and my cables do not look thin or make me worry. Perhaps you got an older model?

OT: Good to hear the D25's still around! Sadly, I sold mine along w/ a pair of Sony V6's. No more selling old stuff Jod! You'll want it back someday!

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #704 of 2,011
Hello yes it is possible I got an old model, though i like the sound I dont think it will last long with me so i think i will be giving away my pair at the Dutch meet. I think they sound great htough i prefer their treble over my ie8 which now truly sounds laid back and muffled at times.
ot: yes I am pretty interested how the d25 will sound, it has to replace my rather crappy all-in-one sony ministereo system, i will probbably be getting a pair of audioengine a5 speakers for it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #705 of 2,011
Quicklite:
I couldn't agree w/ you more. The lack of bass gives it a cold impression IMO. I'm no basshead, but it lacks the warmth to truly make a lot of tracks, "fun". The vocals def did start to fatigue my ears a bit as well. Also the lack of much sound stage seemed to really throw certain instruments together, almost confusing me. The Diamond song on Tiesto's latest felt congested and small, not good times. I felt like I had to be on the lookout for strings on the Angel's and Demon's OST, track 503.

But worst of all, the 12mm buds were too large for me. They would push my inner ear out of the way and it would inevitably cause pain. Because of this I could not get a good fit, ever.
frown.gif
This was a non issue on the Super.Fi 5 v2's as well as my current Etymotic ER6i's. So I guess I'll have to ensure a smaller frame next time.

(they were burned in 90+ hours and I did try amping them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back