[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #526 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched to biflanges because I felt that the sound with originaly supplied single flanges (black) was too "sharp". Sharp is probably not exactly the right word to describe it, but I prefer not to use word "harsh" again (as I did in my previous posts).

Anyway, if you're referrening to replacement filters, I haven't tried to remove them, but my expectation is that without that filter the sound will be "sharper", with less bass and someone even mentioned supressed mids as well. If you like treble, you may like it.

Original package should contain some spare filters. Thus, you're free to test it and if it will not work for you, just put there new filters. I'll be happy to hear your opinion.

Given you were referring to those black filters and I replied to your question...

agree for the biflange are better than the single..

about the mod.. its not the filter, its the foam inside the filter...
the mod give more soundstage and the mids are more lively but with slight presence of sibilance..

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #528 of 2,011
If you have a proper equalizer on your player, yes. As the RE0 is very light on bass.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #529 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a proper equalizer on your player, yes. As the RE0 is very light on bass.

The general consensus disagrees, it's lean but by no means severely lacking. Most RE0 owners haven't felt the need to EQ up the bass, and find it sufficient in quantity especially since quality and control is so high.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #530 of 2,011
Could be. I think with some eq the bass is much fuller and more 'there'. I listen to a little bit of dance/trance too and it sounds good for me on the RE0.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #531 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetsu85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agree for the biflange are better than the single..

about the mod.. its not the filter, its the foam inside the filter...
the mod give more soundstage and the mids are more lively but with slight presence of sibilance..

In your opinion would you advise for or against performing the mod?

Overall do you consider the change in sound to be worth the added sibilance or would it be better to just leave them stock?

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #533 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the mode and the change is so marginal, I would just leave the foam inside.

Alright, I'll leave it alone.

Truth be told the RE0's sound insanely good already, especially considering their price. They pretty much destroy my E4c's.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #534 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion would you advise for or against performing the mod?

Overall do you consider the change in sound to be worth the added sibilance or would it be better to just leave them stock?

it depend on your preference and your source Player..
but nothing wrong to try the mod,its worth to try.. u will know what sound u really want from RE-0. if u dont like it, just put the foam back in his place.

but for me, after the number of try beetween mod and stock, i prefer the mod than stock.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #535 of 2,011
Here is a new RE0 owner.
Owned various iems, including Shure se530 and i really LOVE RE0, especially the hights and details.
It could be a little warmer, but with a slight equalization (+2/3 db on the low end) i can fully enjoy every kind of music!

To my ears it seems that RE0 is much better when amped, expecially soundstage is wider and the mids are more natural sounding.
Actually my portable amp is a Meier Audio Corda 2Move and i like how it sounds coupled with the RE0.

I'm using Shure black foams, mounted on the plastic inner part of a comply foam; isolation and comfort are much better than silicon, and sound becomes a little bit smoother, sweeter; the bass is also improved :

Imho at the actual discounted price, this iem is a steal.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #537 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I'll leave it alone.

Truth be told the RE0's sound insanely good already, especially considering their price. They pretty much destroy my E4c's.

I can say by now,that I enjoy the RE0 sound more than my previous Shure E5's.Period.They are so detailed it's unbelievable.
Bass is not lacking as people state.It's all in pair with eachother.
For me,no more upgrading(for now...)

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #538 of 2,011
Regarding bass on these little badboys, well when running out of my 639S Walkman the bass is moderate, nothing as sloppy and potent as the Shure SLC3's that I had. It perhaps can be a slight be underwhelming at times when your looking for some solid thump. But over all its a great tight sound very clear and crisp.

Now when I run the RE0 out of my desktop tube amp (vuum/fatman something or other had it given to me) the bass is fantastic(not overpowering but really nice) and the drivers can take a lot of power, the sound gets warmer and very comfortable.

I think for maximum usage from these awesome IEM's one needs a decent amp. Never owned a portable amp but looking forward to matching these up with the RSA Shadow when it finally ships.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #539 of 2,011
Agreed on the preference for an amp. I've been running these both ways over the last couple of weeks out of my Clip.

While they are good without the amp, adding an amp, even the FiiO5 helps. Just gives them a bit fuller sound with non-acoustic (mostly Rock) music. Not so much of a difference with acoustic (e.g. Jazz).

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #540 of 2,011
After listening to RE0 for quite a while now (a few weeks), I am happy to report that with the big white double flange tips, RE0 sounds anything but bass shy to my ears. With single flanges, it does sound a bit too thin and treble oriented for my liking, but with the double flanges, the treble is nicely tamed and the low sub-bass becomes audible. In fact, with the dual flanges, RE0 sounds very fun - not at all analytical. It's very warm - even euphoric at times - and yet still highly accurate and detailed throughout the spectrum. The only complaints I have about RE0 now are the microphonic cable and a somewhat uncomfortable fit with the double flanges in my left ear, where the tip presses on a part of my outer ear causing pain after wearing them for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back