[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Sep 10, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #511 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend this phone to someone who's used to mid-centric phones like the UM3xs?

I really like my mids.

I wouldn't recommend the RE0 for ppl who prefer forward mids. RE0 has slightly recessed mids imo.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #514 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 questions: How's the isolation on these, and how about wind noise?

Isolation is average on silicon tips. Comply foams make the seal a lot better but for me it sacrifices SQ (for RE0 anyhow) so I only switch to complys on airplaines etc.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #515 of 2,011
Since my recabled shure E5's are cracking up again,I needed some new IEM's.
Due to becoming a dad for the second time,a new house and crisis and....I was looking for a affordable/bang for the buck set of IEM.
I considered the IE8's and the Denon C710's.
After reading these 35 pages,you have convinced me in ordering the RE0's.
Very curious how they compare with the Shures that I owned many years now.
Someone has already compared them?
Well,I will let you after I get them.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #516 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by TT600R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my recabled shure E5's are cracking up again,I needed some new IEM's.
Due to becoming a dad for the second time,a new house and crisis and....I was looking for a affordable/bang for the buck set of IEM.
I considered the IE8's and the Denon C710's.
After reading these 35 pages,you have convinced me in ordering the RE0's.
Very curious how they compare with the Shures that I owned many years now.
Someone has already compared them?
Well,I will let you after I get them.

RE-0 or PL-50

re is great but bass lacking and a bit trebbley. the pl-50 make no mistake it is a downgrade but has shure like mids, stunning for the el cheapo price, both are really.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #518 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 arrived today. Now, for some burn in...

Oh goody, I'd like to hear what you say about them.

As for isolation, it's better with the biflanges. They also require a shallower insertion to have them stay in, which is a major plus since the knurling is painful and deep insertion makes removal difficult if you don't pull on the cord first (slap on the wrist).

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #519 of 2,011
I prefer small biflanges. Howerer, there definitely shift in SQ comparing to medium single flanged tips. Biflanges probably cut something from the top top frequencies (which doesn't suit everyone), but certainly worked for me. The thing is that biflanges provided smoother overall presentation.

My humble opinion. Others may hear it differently.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #520 of 2,011
RE0 arrived today.
Listening right now,maybe 3 hours on them.
I am using the fiio E5 to power them.They are a bit powerhungry.With bassboost switch on it sounds already very good.
The detail is as good,maybe better than my old E5's.This one is as said a steal!!
I will wait for a full review after some serious burningtime.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #521 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer small biflanges. Howerer, there definitely shift in SQ comparing to medium single flanged tips. Biflanges probably cut something from the top top frequencies (which doesn't suit everyone), but certainly worked for me. The thing is that biflanges provided smoother overall presentation.

My humble opinion. Others may hear it differently.

I also find the best SQ is with the small biflanges.. love it!

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #522 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend this phone to someone who's used to mid-centric phones like the UM3xs?

I really like my mids.

I think RE0 has mids that are every bit as good as those of UM3X - at least UM3X with stock tips. In fact, RE0 has more clarity in the mids and they are also more accurately represented without being too forward, which UM3X mids can sometimes be. In other characteristics, RE0 mids are just as good or better - very smooth, HIGHLY detailed with excellent separation and very fast. But what's more, RE0 has much better treble than UM3X - it's like night and day. UM3X has decent treble, but just lacks clarity, extension and energy up there compared to RE0, which sounds much brighter, but in a good way - without sounding harsh or sibilant. As for bass, well - RE0 is pretty much neutral, although the lowest sub-bass is a bit recessed maybe. UM3X got greater bass extension and impact, and is maybe a bit tighter as well, but RE0 bass is every bit as detailed and accurate.

Both are great IEMs, but RE0 is clearly a much, much better value!

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #523 of 2,011
Is the foam-removal mod recommended for best sound quality or is it best to just leave it in?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #524 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the foam-removal mod recommended for best sound quality or is it best to just leave it in?

I switched to biflanges because I felt that the sound with originaly supplied single flanges (black) was too "sharp". Sharp is probably not exactly the right word to describe it, but I prefer not to use word "harsh" again (as I did in my previous posts).

Anyway, if you're referrening to replacement filters, I haven't tried to remove them, but my expectation is that without that filter the sound will be "sharper", with less bass and someone even mentioned supressed mids as well. If you like treble, you may like it.

Original package should contain some spare filters. Thus, you're free to test it and if it will not work for you, just put there new filters. I'll be happy to hear your opinion.

Given you were referring to those black filters and I replied to your question...

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #525 of 2,011
My pair of RE0 just arrived, from my initial impressions are:
It's very neutral. I would even say it's a bit cold.
The clarity and detail are quite amazing. I hear everything, high, mids and lows in great detail. I am very impressed.
While there isn't a whole lot of bass, the bass is very clear, non-bloated.

But, for myself I think I need new tips, I none of the stock tips give me the isolation I want nor the comfort level. I might purchase a Fiio E5 to give the headphones some warmth. But overall, I am enjoying the RE0, and I love the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back