[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Mar 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #1,321 of 2,011
i'm getting the monsters because theyre only 175 and many here claim the RE0s really arent comparable to the higher end stuff.
plus i have money to waste and wanna have a few options.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #1,323 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read of the RE0's soundstage and imaging being described as bad or weird. I don't find it to be particularly noteworthy so what exactly is wrong with it?

Well it isn't that bad with the big bi flanges but it can sound cramped compared to a full size headphone.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #1,324 of 2,011
Ah, ok. My own experience with the bi-flange is that it doesn't change the sound or soundstage at all, it gives a sufficient seal so that the bass performs as intended but isolation is quite poor. I use the smallest black tips pushed up over the silver ring.

If it's only poor in comparison with full size cans then I don't think it's a problem at all.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #1,325 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok. My own experience with the bi-flange is that it doesn't change the sound or soundstage at all, it gives a sufficient seal so that the bass performs as intended but isolation is quite poor. I use the smallest black tips pushed up over the silver ring.

If it's only poor in comparison with full size cans then I don't think it's a problem at all.

Listen with the single flange for a long time then swap back. Make sure you're listening fairly loud and you'll hear it. Actually, the soundstage with the bi flanges is almost at where my Grados are.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #1,326 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm getting the monsters because theyre only 175 and many here claim the RE0s really arent comparable to the higher end stuff.
plus i have money to waste and wanna have a few options.

So the Monsters are "higher-end" than the zeroes? Sounds the opposite to me. Don't let the price difference fool you.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #1,327 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen with the single flange for a long time then swap back. Make sure you're listening fairly loud and you'll hear it. Actually, the soundstage with the bi flanges is almost at where my Grados are.

Wow, I haven't used the bi-flanges for months and the difference is there. I still wouldn't pick them over the single flange though, the soundstage sounds stretched rather than more open.

You're right, they do come close to my MS-1s but I think that is a failing of the MS-1 rather than the RE0' strong point.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #1,328 of 2,011
I feel these are the amazing IEM,s they make me enjoy my music every time I listen to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #1,329 of 2,011
have been following the RE0 impressions with great interest.

would anyone have managed to compare the RE0 with the audio technica CK7? my old trusty CK7 (thrice repaired!) are not doing so well.

i listen mainly to acoustic, classical and jazz music. simple setup of an old ipod nano (1st gen) and iaudio U3 unamped.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,330 of 2,011
Hi guys. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to IEMs and am hoping you could provide me with some help. Just some time ago I bought an iPod Touch (and love it) and now I want some IEMs for when I want to use my iTouch when I need some isolation.

As for sound quality I am not really that picky when I am on the road. It must be a decent sound and easy to listen to. For instance I can really enjoy my iBuds. They have an easy sound to them which I am completely content with when I am traveling.
As for sound signature I want something that is more oriented towards mids/treble with enough air around notes. I have never heard a proper IEM but all the IEMs that I heard had really bad bloating bass that I can't stand.

So that made me look at the RE0s. They are relatively cheap (I don't really want something more expensive), come with enough tips to fit anyone's need and as far as I read they sound nice. Are these the IEMs that I want?
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #1,331 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to IEMs and am hoping you could provide me with some help. Just some time ago I bought an iPod Touch (and love it) and now I want some IEMs for when I want to use my iTouch when I need some isolation.

As for sound quality I am not really that picky when I am on the road. It must be a decent sound and easy to listen to. For instance I can really enjoy my iBuds. They have an easy sound to them which I am completely content with when I am traveling.
As for sound signature I want something that is more oriented towards mids/treble with enough air around notes. I have never heard a proper IEM but all the IEMs that I heard had really bad bloating bass that I can't stand.

So that made me look at the RE0s. They are relatively cheap (I don't really want something more expensive), come with enough tips to fit anyone's need and as far as I read they sound nice. Are these the IEMs that I want?
beerchug.gif

Well, if you are OK with iBuds, the RE0 will knock your socks off.
wink.gif
Don't let the low price fool you. They sound like at least a good $200 IEM, but in my opinion it beats many high end universals like Triple.fi and Westone 3 in overall sound quality and believe it or not, but I preferred the RE0 to Westone ES3X customs as well. While RE0 may not be technically comparable to the higher end stuff in every aspect, what it does well, it does better than most headphones I've heard. Its tonal balance is near perfect - the bass, mids and treble are all presented in almost impeccable harmony. The treble extension is perfect and bass extension is very good as well. RE0 has excellent separation and detail that makes it really easy to pick out individual sounds even in very complex musical passages and it is also remarkably fast for a dynamic IEM - almost on par with balanced armatures.

BTW, compared to full-sized cans I've heard, the RE0 is at around Senn HD580/600, Grado SR325 level. It will probably give your DT880 a run for their money. No kidding. It easily beats my HD555s and I sold my Shure SRH840s because RE0 just sounded better and is far more portable and versatile.
wink.gif

So yeah, go ahead and get the RE0s. You really won't do much better even at many times the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it isn't that bad with the big bi flanges but it can sound cramped compared to a full size headphone.

It will sound cramped if you are not giving it enough juice. Amp it properly and RE0 will sound anything but congested. It separates instruments par excellence and actually has a very open, spacious sound for an IEM with very decent sense depth. Also, try UE Super.fi/Triple.fi single flange silicone tips on the RE0 - they make it sound more balanced and hi-fi than the stock double flanges IMO.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,332 of 2,011
Quote:

Are these the IEMs that I want?
beerchug.gif

Sounds like a perfect fit.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #1,333 of 2,011
Quote:

You've just described the RE0!
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #1,334 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will sound cramped if you are not giving it enough juice. Amp it properly and RE0 will sound anything but congested. It separates instruments par excellence and actually has a very open, spacious sound for an IEM with very decent sense depth. Also, try UE Super.fi/Triple.fi single flange silicone tips on the RE0 - they make it sound more balanced and hi-fi than the stock double flanges IMO.

Well I don't have a proper amp right now so I'll take your word for it. Out of curiosity, have you tried adding impedance to it (to the level of, say, the ER4S) along with your amp? I wonder what kind of effect that would have.

I do agree that single flange tips give better sound overall. I stopped using them (along with my Fiio) because I've found that they both reduce sound stage. My iPod's HO has better channel separation I think.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #1,335 of 2,011
Hey to those who RMA'd the RE0, is it normal to receive refurbished products? I've sent in my re0 for RMA and they clearly sent a refurb. There are scuffings on the circular chrome on the ear tip and the white logo being rubbed off on the Y-splitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back