[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Feb 17, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #1,141 of 2,011
the way your talking gives me hope for my s4s. which at 50 hours are like singing through a comforter.
in the first 30ish hrs on the RE0s i kept bumping the mids a few dB and now i dont, burn in, ear acclimation who knows, but just sayin. i realize clarity and forwardness are different things but the "change" satisfied me in that department.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #1,142 of 2,011
I've never believed that tips actually change the clarity of the IEM. They can change the sound signature, but once you get used to the tips' sound you should be able to hear everything you've heard before. The bi-flanges I've found subtly emphasize the treble, which is the best part of the RE0s and where clarity is generally heard (all those wonderful harmonics
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Also, if you're new to the RE0 the black tips might be a little stiff but they soften over time and I prefer them to sony hybrids now.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #1,143 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by lc483 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm not
tongue.gif
I'm not expecting it to change any of my concerns, which is mainly just the vocal clarity which felt sort of suppressed. But I'll compare again tomorrow.

The RE0 has a very detailed midrange, so burn-in will likely help.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #1,144 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you're new to the RE0 the black tips might be a little stiff but they soften over time and I prefer them to sony hybrids now.

So I am just curious is it just my ears or do the black tips kill some of the detail? I put on black and on clear tip on and I could literally here more in one ear. The side I had the black tip on lost some of the detail in the high range.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #1,145 of 2,011
i think semisight said it best, and im now back pedaling on my verbage. its not that it increases clarity, it increases emphasis in areas that the RE0 happens to be clarity proficient in, highs, (and mids imo). i did the same thing with the black tip in one ear and bi flange in the other and tricked myself into thinking it was a change in actual clarity over just emphasis. but the reality is, the details dont disappear they just settle down a bit compared to the bi flanges.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #1,146 of 2,011
Wow I put the black ones on and I had one just ever so slightly on crooked and I thought one side was imbalanced for a minute. But I twisted it a little and got them both perfect and your right the black ones do sound better after giving them more time. And they isolate better.....nice! Gives them a little darker signature.
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #1,147 of 2,011
Mine has about one week of burn in now – and it needed it. Opened up quite a bit at both ends and sounds like a much more expensive one. Unfortunately it doesn’t work well together with my Fiio E1 or E5/L1. They really widen the soundstage, but the details get a little muddied and the lower bass nearly disappears, like some kind of anti-synergy. It’s better right out of the 4G Nano’s headphone out than with the Fiios. Too bad!

I also sometimes experience a kind of crackling sound like static on an analog record. First I thought my amp is broken, then after going ampless I heard it again. And then I realized it always happens when I go outside into the cold or back from the cold into a building. This morning it happened in the subway when a train arrived. So it seems to be connected to rather drastic changes in temperature or air pressure. Anybody else experience something like this?

T

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,148 of 2,011
The Fiio aren't exactly great amps :p You are going to need something better to use with the RE0 to make it better.

Have you tried different phones or sources with those songs to see where its coming from? I've never heard that when I had the RE0 and never noticed anything different in changing temperatures

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,149 of 2,011
I'm getting nostalgic for my old re0's. I may have to ditch my se530s to pickup another pair of these. I really miss the treble.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,150 of 2,011
I've found that you need to give the RE0's time to grow on you. Whether you call this burn-in on whatever.

You didn't mention tips. Joker recommended the Sony tips (the ones with the different color cores for each size, available at the local Best Buy), and I found they work better than the stock tips.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,151 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fiio aren't exactly great amps :p You are going to need something better to use with the RE0 to make it better.

I know, just thought they‘d be better than the Nano‘s headphone out…

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried different phones or sources with those songs to see where its coming from? I've never heard that when I had the RE0 and never noticed anything different in changing temperatures

At least I never experienced something like this with my SF3 or SE110. It took a few days to find out it never happens when I‘m inside or outside for a longer time, just when I got in or out. Finally the approaching train this morning made me think.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #1,152 of 2,011
I've heard a little static now and then just listening to them plugged into my PC. Not sure what it is. I also heard it when the cord brushed against the zipper on my sweatshirt but I don't blame that one on the headphones, I've had that happen with other ones before.

Head-Direct have great service, I had a tear in one of my smaller biflanges out of the box and they sent me replacements for all 4 biflanges and an extra shirt clip and filters.

Does anyone use the shirt clip? I'm afraid that jamming the cord under that little hook is going to damage it.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #1,154 of 2,011
Mine wasn't caused by that, I think it was caused by movement. It was pretty rare, I was wondering if it was some kind of interference. I haven't been using them with my PC lately so I haven't heard it. Have not taken them outside yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back