[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #166 of 2,011
Grats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know how it goes.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #167 of 2,011
argh lucky you maniac! mine are at customs!
frown.gif
I know obviously the rules will be different for the Netherlands to the UK but did you have to pay any import duty or taxes? or did head-direct....help you out..with that?
ph34r.gif

dying to get mine now
frown.gif
fingers crossed they will be here tomorrow.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #169 of 2,011
mine so far chicaman:
2009-07-03 16:07:00 City of Shanghai Posting
2009-07-03 16:27:00 City of Shanghai Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-07-03 21:58:22 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-07-04 03:15:00 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
2009-07-05 22:56:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Arrival at Sorting Center
2009-07-05 22:56:00 UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PF Handed over to Customs

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #170 of 2,011
Listening right now
biggrin.gif

No, no import fees. Not long ago the value was increased from what can be be imported without extra taxes to a couple hundred Euro's, don't no the precise amount.

First about the microphonics, indeed it is certainly there. More than with my Philips SHE9800, reminds me a bit like the Creative EP-630. So the RE0 is not for joggers, I don't think this will be a problem in the train.

Soundwise I think it's very good. Nice separation of instruments. Bass sounds good, in balance with the mids and highs. Those high hats sure sounded nice in combo with the guitar
smily_headphones1.gif

Isolation is much better than from my Philips and also better than the EP-630 (using normal standard tips). Don't like the dual-flanges, they make the sound thin probably because I can't insert them far enough. So the seal is not good enough.

Tomorrow I'll give them a road test, bit like The Stig with IEMs :p only just a bit slower on my bike.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #173 of 2,011
Just ordered these after a long contemplation between these and UM1, Turbines, and Klipsch S4.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #174 of 2,011
Well I jumped at the $99 deal and I received them this morning.

A few initial impressions:

-They sound very good all around. The low end is not very pronounced, but mids and highs sound very nice. Out of the iPhone headphone out they're not very bassy at all (No EQ - iPhone equalizer is rubbish), but my Walkman (EQ'd) makes them nice and punchy. I definitely need more time with them to form a proper opinion, though.

-There are some issues with microphonics as expected but I haven't noticed that it's any better or worse than my Shure SE530's so I guess that's not a bad thing.

-I immediately put on the comply T-400 tips without even trying the ones in the box and I really see no need to ever try them. The T-400's give a great seal, and make these the most comfortable IEM's I've used. I wore them for nearly 4 hours straight today and my ears were not sore or itchy, nor did the RE0's get pushed out of my ears (requiring adjustment) like my 530's do. Even lying my head down on a pillow they're very comfy.

-Their high impedance and low sensitivity means there's almost none of the hiss that's present in my 530's, but it also means they're difficult to drive. On my NWZ-A818, a 'comfortably loud' volume for my 530's is around 14. For the RE0's it's a 19. The loudest I'll put my 530's is 16 (music depending, of course, but on the whole) whereas I expect I could go up to 30 (max volume) with the RE0's on and I wouldn't even wince. While I wouldn't say an amp is required for these, even adding in a Fiio E5 made a great deal of difference. If you like listening to your music at high volume (I do on occasion) these might not be for you.

-The sheathed cable seems tough but I'm a bit concerned nevertheless. It's already gotten into a decent knot (think shoe lace) and I'm not convinced that it won't start pulling apart, a few fibers at a time, with normal use.

-The 3.5mm plug doesn't seem all that sturdy, and I find myself already wishing it was L shaped instead of straight.

All things considered, I'm impressed with them so far at a $99 price point. I'll update with further impressions in the future.

For now, though, I have some pictures. I don't have a good macro lens and lighting wasn't ideal, so you'll have to pardon the blurriness (as well as my faux wood floor
tongue.gif
) . Thumbs link to higher-res shots.

The packaging was surprisingly small, and came in a nondescript manila bubble wrap envelope.

Included accessories are a shirt clip, 3 pair black rubber tips, 2 pair clear bi-flanges, replacement filters, and a ~33" (80cm) extension cable (not pictured)

The cord is roughly 36" (90cm) from the plug to where it splits, then another 15" (40cm) to the earphones. With the extension cable, it's about 84" (7ft; 210cm) from plug to phones.

Close ups of the stock tips, no tips, Comply T-400 tips, splitter, and plug.

Some comparison shots with my Shure SE530's

And finally, since there's no easily discernible difference between the left and right earphone, some color coding of my own.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #177 of 2,011
kaldaim, if you have no plan to try other eartips, you should reconsider. I agree that Comply is very comfortable, but sometime they might not be the best sounding of all the eartips. At least try the other tips since you already have them.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #178 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kaldaim, if you have no plan to try other eartips, you should reconsider. I agree that Comply is very comfortable, but sometime they might not be the best sounding of all the eartips. At least try the other tips since you already have them.

I agree. proper fit and material is essential to any IEM in the RE# family. makes a world of difference.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #180 of 2,011
Hmm. So they ship from Shanghai? How long do you guys think it'd take to get somewhere else in Shanghai? Including processing times etc.

edit: Also, has anyone had to send these back for repair? How smoothly does that go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back