[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
May 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #1,562 of 2,011
May 25, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,563 of 2,011
May 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #1,564 of 2,011

Quote:
Do you have the real ones to compare?

Theres also these: http://cgi.ebay.com/earbud-replacement-SONY-EP-EX10A-FIT-MANY-TYPES-/150438421011?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2306d42213#ht_2443wt_913.

I might buy these with some medium and some large to see which ones fit better and 3 white pairs of that size from 15shopgoods after

I don't have photo now but you can go to Sonystyle site to see the picture of the real ones. The real ones have narrower opening. I find the "faux" ones with wider openings bring back the sparkling of the RE0 trebles and preserve enough bass reverb at the same time.

May 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,565 of 2,011
My RE0 arrived today from Zococity.es. Amazing service, it took only 2 days to arrive! Now for some first impressions.

After I got them I intended to come right away to post my first impressions after listening to one or two songs but something else happened... After i got a good seal with the large Sennheiser bi-flanges i couldn't stop listening to these, i lied down on my sofa and spent 3 hours just listening to music with them. Yes, I was very pleased and impressed with the sound of these even without any burn in.

In the fit department... I didn't really like any of the tips provided. The normal single-flange ones are not very appealing since i find the medium ones to be small and the large ones to be too large. The small bi-flange is way too small and i can't get a good isolation and fit and the large ones are insanely huge (comparison photo below). That being said the large bi-flange were the ones that provided a better seal and sound for me within the provided stock tips. The only problem is that they are so big that they stay pretty much all outside my ears and it is a little uncomfortable (and looks plain dumb). I'm using the large bi-flange that came with the Sennheiser CX400-II (you can see them in the last photo below).
I plan on getting some Sony Hybrids in the near future.

Build quality wise they seem pretty decent, the cable is ok and they feel sturdy enough. Nothing like the amazing M6 (the cable on these is perfect, just perfect) but not bad either.

Sound... These are amazing. The detail is awesome and they have more bass than I expected! All the comments about the lack of bass made me a little bit anxious but in the end they have enough bass for me. It lacks a little impact but the quantity is pretty much ideal to me for normal listening. The mids and highs are very detailed and what i like most with these is that they don't have any excess of anything. The bass is just ideal, the mids too and so are the highs. There is no sibilance, no BOOM BOOM, they are very pleasing to listen to and i've been listening to them for about 3h non-stop and they are not tiring at all. All is balanced and in its place. I love it!

In terms of source I used the iPod 5G most of the time without any amp. I tried the E5 with them and i liked it with the Bass Boost on only (So, either 'Source > RE0' or 'Source > E5 W/ Bass Boost > RE0'. I tried them with the iPhone 3GS and i prefer the sound with it compared to the iPod (like usual). The EQ on either of the devices is pretty lacking but I can say the RE0 responded very well to them. Even using the bass boost preset (which usually is just plain horrible). I'm thinking of upgrading to a better MP3 player and getting a better amp so it will get even better.

Overall i LOVE them, even without any burn-in they sound great to me compared to the other ones i have and tried. The sound is very smooth and easy-listening with alot of detail. I really couldn't be more happy and my expectations were HUGE.

To finish, just a comparison between these and the V-Moda. I've read that they are very similar visually but comparing them side to side you can see that they are not THAT similar :p

May 31, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,566 of 2,011
So I think I'm gonna spring for these, as an upgrade to my Senn CX300s. Few questions: a. where is the best place to buy them from in the US, right now 9does it come with a free little amp from somewhere?)? Is there some difference between getting from Head Direct and Hifiman? Will these be a big improvement from my current Senns? And finally, I'll be using them with a Go Vibe 5, that should give them some extra awesomeness, right?  Thanks!

edit: also, any info on this RE Zero? Should I wait on that instead?

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #1,567 of 2,011
These will be a HUUGE improvement from your CX300. I have the CX400-II and the improvement is very very noticeable. You might miss the bass on the CX300 at first but you'll get used to them very fast and will not be able to go back again.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,568 of 2,011
Waiting for these in the mail. How long does shipping typically take? I'm in New Jersey.  2 questions: a. how do these fit into the ear like Etymotics? Are they more like the Senn CX series, or the Etymotic type IEM? b. should I have waited for the RE Zero?

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,569 of 2,011
Waiting for the RE-ZERO instead may not be a bad thing - or get both
evil_smiley.gif

They ship out from NY, don't they? Should be real quick. =)

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #1,570 of 2,011
Man it seems that they have changed the recent RE0s once again. Used to own a pair about a year ago and sold it after getting RE252s. Recenty I went back to RE0s and the sound tube seems bigger than what i've remembered. Another member posted the same thing and had thoughts on other changes and I agree with what he said.

Also, has anyone else tried the mod pianist introduced, but with different filters. I'm using his mod and using RE252 filters instead of the stock ones and the soundstage seems more expansive while the clarity has stayed smooth.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #1,574 of 2,011
Dang, sorry to hear that. So this isn't the first time that happens to you? You should go for a warranty exchange otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back