REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Feb 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,321 of 1,326
Another thread revival:

I recently purchased the 400i and EF2a combo from HiFiMan as an office set-up and after several weeks of listening, I can say that this combo is a marked improvement from my unamped Shure SE425 or my Bose QC15.  I sometimes notice that the sub-bass breaks up (muddies?) in tracks with a lot of sub-bass with the 400i.  I ordered some  Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV "Rocket" tubes from Russia and hope that they will help.  I've read this entire thread and used the tube rolling guide for the LD (mentioned early in the thread) to find out what tubes people rated highest.  I saw a few others on the thread ask about these tubes without much luck in getting a response.  Perhaps there's more experience now?  

Being that I don't have another amp to compare to, am I getting the the 'full' 400i experience with the combo I purchased, or could I expect a significant increase in SQ with a better DAC/Amp?

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #1,322 of 1,326
Folks,  can you please straighten out my confusion?  I keep hearing mixed information regarding sending audio via RCA vs DAC ports on this amp.
I was going to use the Schiit Modi-2 and connect it with good rca cables to EF-2A.   Is this ideal setup, as the 16bit dac on ef2a is a bit meh.

So,  use the external DAC and connect with RCA cables?
or forget about it, and use the dac provided?

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,323 of 1,326
This is my first post.  I am going from a Nuforce Icon HDP to a HiFiman EF2A.  The Nuforce was pretty nice I have to say.  I am using it on my Asus I7 laptop with Sony MDR-V6 headphone (love these and I have listened andowned quite a few different ones).

My impressions:  I bought the HiFiman off Ebay and it came with Sung Sol 1945 6AK5s tubes.  Of course I bought a few sets of tubes to roll just for fun.  These particular Sung Sols sounded pretty good.  But not better than the HDP.  I then popped in a set of Sung Sol JAN 6AJ5 1942 NOS with clear top and side getter.  They were not even burned in, and I was blown away by the sound.  Huge sound stage and nice highs and lows.  Really nice.  

I next tried some Russian Voshkod 6zhip-ev.  They were ok at best.  I know I need to burn these in for 100+ hours ... which I did not.  I have some Mullards on the way to try as well.

Bottom line the EF2 with the old clear top Sung Sols sounds awesome.  I highly reccomend them!

Thanks,
Andy

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,325 of 1,326
  This is my first post.  I am going from a Nuforce Icon HDP to a HiFiman EF2A.  The Nuforce was pretty nice I have to say.  I am using it on my Asus I7 laptop with Sony MDR-V6 headphone (love these and I have listened andowned quite a few different ones).

My impressions:  I bought the HiFiman off Ebay and it came with Sung Sol 1945 6AK5s tubes.  Of course I bought a few sets of tubes to roll just for fun.  These particular Sung Sols sounded pretty good.  But not better than the HDP.  I then popped in a set of Sung Sol JAN 6AJ5 1942 NOS with clear top and side getter.  They were not even burned in, and I was blown away by the sound.  Huge sound stage and nice highs and lows.  Really nice.  

I next tried some Russian Voshkod 6zhip-ev.  They were ok at best.  I know I need to burn these in for 100+ hours ... which I did not.  I have some Mullards on the way to try as well.

Bottom line the EF2 with the old clear top Sung Sols sounds awesome.  I highly reccomend them!

Thanks,
Andy

Hope you burned your voshkod tubes.  how does it compare vs your tung sol clear tops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back