[REVIEW] HD598 Long Term Assestment. 600+ hours
Sep 2, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #47 of 50

Quote:
Thanks for the review 

I got mine about a month ago .. 

I love the looks, the comfort, the detachable cable. 

Sound quality for me is detailed, with great soundstage .. Bass is never bloated on my Xonar STX, but rather tight and controlled, but it was bloated from my labtop.

Sometimes I find the vocals to be annoying and in front of my face .. maybe because I am used to the m50 somehow recessed (or more to the back) vocals.

I am thinking seriously about recabling my HD 598 as soon as I get the chance to order from amazon or ebay .. 
tdockweiler stated that a cheap  (Belden 1192A) cable is a definite step up from the stock cable.

The STX supposedly has a high impedance out from it's headphone amp. It's also known to drive high impedance headphones, ~300 ohms, well but not lower impedance headphones as well. That could explain why HD598 sounds good on it.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #48 of 50
Thank you for the good review.

My own experience from the HD598 only comes from in-store compairment between said headphone and a pair of Beats. A pair I at the time assumed was the pro verison due to the high price (equal ~US$800), actually it was the Studio verison.

In this compairment I found the HD598's bass to quite light, well "light" is a little extreme but it was definetly not bass heavy.
Also found the over all sound of the HD598 to very good. The comfort was spot on for me. Also should mention that the HD598 was priced at around (equal~US$450).

(Me mentioning the Beats doesn't mean we start a Beats disscussion/bashing, I don't bash them just compairing)

Have a nice weekend :)

EDIT: Spell

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #49 of 50
I'll likely actually end up buying these, because I can't justify paying $350 for a 650 right now. Thanks for the review!

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 50

Quote:
In this compairment I found the HD598's bass to quite light, well "light" is a little extreme but it was definetly not bass heavy.
Also found the over all sound of the HD598 to very good. The comfort was spot on for me. Also should mention that the HD598 was priced at around (equal~US$450).

I removed the Beats for your safety.

The HD598 are bass light when not amped. That mid to low power need dulls the bass quite a bit.

To me, the bass is heavy and uncontrolled

UPDATE: well, later, but quick update. I am testing these out in different amps and so what. Update in a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back