REVIEW: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
Mar 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #167 of 276
Seems like it would be fine. Probably doesn't cost much so it couldn't hurt to try!

Thanks, do you have recommendation on a higher quality RCA to phone cable? I've only come across the cheapest options and it seems like a possible signal point that could impact sound quality.

Feel free to tell me of I'm tripping LOL!

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #168 of 276
Seems like it would be fine. Probably doesn't cost much so it couldn't hurt to try!

Also do you have comments on the headphone questions I repied to Analogd earlier?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #169 of 276
Quote:
Quote:
sure sounds like it's shining to this boy. i have an rsa hr2 also, and feeding the tube out signal from the td11 to the hr2, the difference in sound is exactly what i'd expect and reveals zero need for more anything when coming straight out of the TD11.

the hd800 sound amazing outta the td11 with that voshkod: gobs of bass, beautiful sweet extended highs, mids to make the biggest grump smile and sigh. aint no sign of brightness, brittleness, lack of bass or anything else so many have reported, (or reported can only be cured with vastly more expensive amps.

caveat: i received these with a cardas cable, so maybe i would have had the brightness/lack of bass with the stock cable.

I may have answered my own question the HD800 are 300ohm, HD700 are 150ohm.

The reason I was not considering the HD800 (other than price) is because most reviews said the bass was light and eventhough I am a jazzman at heart I do enjoy tasteful hip hop and slamming R&B from time to time. How's the bass on the 800's and did the Russian tube help in that area? or which tube gave the 800's the best low end?

Or for my type of music should I just get the 650's and call it a day or get the 700's, use the 800's savings and get a tube head amp? I really want to keep my desktop equipment lite as a goal since I purchased my downstream monitors with that purpose.

Anybody with thoughts please chim in!!

gobs of bass from an HD800 driven by the TD11. i'm listening to a hirez needldrop of the 45rpm pressing of Bill Evans Moonbeams right now. glorious on all counts.

glad you figured out the hd700's as i could not have helped, but if you can swing a used hd800 you will never regret it. i have owned hd650s and hd580s. I lean strongly to the hd580/hd600 sound myself, and owned the hd580 and hd800 at the same time. the hd580 still sounded wonderful (also thru the td11); but the hd800 blows them away on every level except that the 580/600/650 are more forgiving of lousy recordings. the other thing is, that with some recordings the hd800's huge soundstage actually is a deterement, not ofetn, but it is. things seem to be spread too thin or something. if you read threads on the can you'll see others describing this more eloquently. I could not live with the hd800 as my only headphone because of this. I setteld on a beyer t1 as my alternate can. if i were to need to keep it to one can for all things, I might choose the T1, but I know for sure that an HD580/HD600 would do the trick for me. Everything sounds good through them. Period. If you're suer the 650 is more to your taste, the same rule applies.

later on for tubes, i gotta go

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #170 of 276

Also do you have comments on the headphone questions I repied to Analogd earlier?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #171 of 276
Quote:

gobs of bass from an HD800 driven by the TD11. i'm listening to a hirez needldrop of the 45rpm pressing of Bill Evans Moonbeams right now. glorious on all counts.

glad you figured out the hd700's as i could not have helped, but if you can swing a used hd800 you will never regret it. i have owned hd650s and hd580s. I lean strongly to the hd580/hd600 sound myself, and owned the hd580 and hd800 at the same time. the hd580 still sounded wonderful (also thru the td11); but the hd800 blows them away on every level except that the 580/600/650 are more forgiving of lousy recordings. the other thing is, that with some recordings the hd800's huge soundstage actually is a deterement, not ofetn, but it is. things seem to be spread too thin or something. if you read threads on the can you'll see others describing this more eloquently. I could not live with the hd800 as my only headphone because of this. I setteld on a beyer t1 as my alternate can. if i were to need to keep it to one can for all things, I might choose the T1, but I know for sure that an HD580/HD600 would do the trick for me. Everything sounds good through them. Period. If you're suer the 650 is more to your taste, the same rule applies.

later on for tubes, i gotta go

Thanks, I was listening to Bill Evans yesterday live at the vanguard (56 or 58) with my Adam's setup.  I'm trying to get my digital collection together because these monitors and TD-11 sure love a quality audio source.  I wish the TD-11 tube out could handle the 150ohm HD700's I think that would be a good one HP option between the HD6xx and the HD800 for what I've read and prevent that issue regarding soundstage thinness you mentioned.  Thanks for adding the, if one headphone feedback because thats me and I plan to keep it that way and start enjoying tube-rolling.  Looking forward to hearing your tube reply later.

I'll see if Project86 has any idea of running HD700 straight tube-out. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #172 of 276
Quote:
Thanks, do you have recommendation on a higher quality RCA to phone cable? I've only come across the cheapest options and it seems like a possible signal point that could impact sound quality.

Feel free to tell me of I'm tripping LOL!

That's kind of a loaded question... some people can't stand cable upgrades, others swear by them. I'd say for a $350 unit, don't spend more than maybe $30 or so. Audioquest makes some affordable models like their Evergreen and Golden Gate models, that come with RCA to stereo plugs. 

Quote:
Thanks

I haven't messed with tube rolling much, sorry. I'd say try to find a demo of the HD700 and HD800 because they can both be somewhat polarizing. Personally I wouldn't recommend the HD700 from the tube out - the impedance of that headphone (150 ohm) is too low to be optimal for the tube out. Others may disagree though.

Quote:
I'll see if Project86 has any idea of running HD700 straight tube-out. 

See above. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #173 of 276
You may have already covered this but what's your thought on the 650 or 600 via tube out? Also general feelings about these HP performance wise with traditional, contemporary and fusion type jazz with a little hip hop and R&B now and then? I'm thinking 650's but open at this point. Regarding the 650's how does the flavor change when played direct phone out?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #174 of 276
Thanks for the great thread!
I'm looking forward to receiving the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 that I recently bought 'lightly used' from a head-fier (http://www.head-fi.org/t/656671).
I had absolutely zero knowledge about tubes in general, or how to find the ones that would work with this DAC.  But after a few days of researching online, I ordered several to try:
  1. ECC88 Amperex, Holland (unlabeled bugle-boy), 1960s NOS ($20)
  2. ECC88 Brimar, UK, 1960s NOS ($20)
  3. ECC88 Mazda, France, 1960s NOS ($20)
  4. PCC88/7DJ8 Zaerix, London, NOS ($30)
  5. E88CC JJ Tesla, Slovak Republic ($13)
  6. E88CC Genalex Gold Lion, Russia ($46)
  7. 6922 Electro Harmonix Gold, Russia ($22)
  8. 6N23P Voskhod, Russia (rocket label) ($17)

For anyone else new to tubes and the TubeDAC-11, here is a detailed description of compatible tubes: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
And the sellers from these two websites were very helpful and friendly when I emailed them:
http://www.audiotubes.com
http://www.boiaudioworks.com
I also noticed that Parts Express carries a few: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/vacuum-tubes/1600?kg=25629|5360

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #175 of 276
Any opinions about using the Audioquest NRG-X3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055ONLZC) for an upgraded power cable on the TubeDAC-11 instead of the PC-1.5 power cable from Grant Fidelity?

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #176 of 276
Quote:
You may have already covered this but what's your thought on the 650 or 600 via tube out? Also general feelings about these HP performance wise with traditional, contemporary and fusion type jazz with a little hip hop and R&B now and then? I'm thinking 650's but open at this point. Regarding the 650's how does the flavor change when played direct phone out?
Thanks

I like HD600 on the tube out, HD650 might come across as a little too thick. But that could change based on the tube being used. HD650 is nice straight from the headphone jack though.

Quote:
Thanks for the great thread!
I'm looking forward to receiving the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 that I recently bought 'lightly used' from a head-fier (http://www.head-fi.org/t/656671).
I had absolutely zero knowledge about tubes in general, or how to find the ones that would work with this DAC.  But after a few days of researching online, I ordered several to try:
  1. ECC88 Amperex Holland, 1960s NOS ($20)
  2. ECC88 Brimar UK, 1960s NOS ($20)
  3. ECC88 Mazda France, 1960s NOS ($20)
  4. E88CC JJ Tesla ($13)
  5. E88CC Genalex Gold Lion ($46)
  6. 6922 Electro Harmonix Gold ($22)
  7. 6N23P Voskhod ($17)
For anyone else new to tubes and the TubeDAC-11, here is a detailed description of compatible tubes: http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
And the sellers from these two websites were very helpful and friendly when I emailed them:
http://www.audiotubes.com
http://www.boiaudioworks.com
I also noticed that Parts Express carries a few: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/vacuum-tubes/1600?kg=25629|5360

Thanks for the info! That's a great way to go - try various tubes, none of which costs a huge amount, to see which ones you prefer. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #177 of 276
Well, I ordered the Voskhod "Rocket" 6N23P from Russia about a month ago, and it arrived this afternoon.  It's been in the TD-11 for an hour, and I hear improvements up and down the audio spectrum--more stability and articulation in the bass, more separation of images, and a slightly more three-dimensional soundstage for starters.  The Voskhod does represent a modest but noticeable improvement over the Electro Harmonix tube so far.   I am eager to hear it develop over the next 20 hours of playing time.

The pins on the EH were and are new and shiny.  The pins on the vintage Voskhod are oxidized.  Would buying a can of deoxidizer and spraying the pins improve the sound, or is that silly?  There's nothing like crackling or static.  I'm a relative tube newbie, so I don't really know what makes sonic sense in this case.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #178 of 276
Quote:
The pins on the EH were and are new and shiny.  The pins on the vintage Voskhod are oxidized.  Would buying a can of deoxidizer and spraying the pins improve the sound, or is that silly?  There's nothing like crackling or static.  I'm a relative tube newbie, so I don't really know what makes sonic sense in this case.

I can't imagine that would be a concern. But then again, it probably wouldn't hurt either. Maybe it will help you enjoy the tube more, at least on a mental level, knowing it's squeaky clean. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #180 of 276
Any thoughts on the TubeDAC-11 tube-out and headphone-out for use with headphones Hifiman HE-4 or HE-500?  Not sure if either would be appropriate without an additional headphone amp?
Also, any experience with Herbie's Audio Labs UltraSonic Rx-9 tube damper? (http://www.thecableco.com/Product/UltraSonic-UltraSonic-Rx-9-Damping-Instrument)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back