REVIEW: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #136 of 276
Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the Senn HD800s I got here used (w/ cardas blue cable) love being driven by the TubeDac-11.
i'm going through all of my half dozen tubes again and so far land back on the "russian rocket", sound is also very good from the tube out through my hr2, so I have a huge range of "flavor" changing capabliity. depending on the recording, I am liking the sonics straihjt outta the tube out more than through the hr2, but on some things the difference favors the hr2. could live with either very easily. the td-11 proves itself to me again as it rises to the occasion to drive the higher end cans i'm tryin with it now (the hd800s and a pair of Beyer T1s), I love this unassuming little beauty. You do not have to spend a fortune to drive the HD800s to glory as the TD11 is less than 400 bucks and the voshkod tube is less than 30 bucks.   

..really appreciate those impression, analog'd.. I'm in the process of looking for/buying an HD800, as well, so the timing is welcome.  Good suggestion on the (Voshkod?) Russian Rocket tube.. I've read very good things about it.. might give it a shot once my TD-11 is back (it's getting modded, atm).

I'm intending to the same as you: running the HD800 from the TD-11.. though I might use the Lake People G109 as a ss power amp downstream the tube out to get more voltage.  But I'd prefer to drive it straight from the tube outs, though.  Does the TD-11's tube outs alone swing enough voltage & deliver enough to get the HD800 to not just sound good.. but shine?  One thing I've always appreciated about the TD-11's tube out (and solid state out, for that matter) is how silent the background is.. one of those things you have to 'hear' to appreciate, too..

Looking forward to more impressions about the TD-11 & HD800 if you have any.. cheers.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #137 of 276
sure sounds like it's shining to this boy. i have an rsa hr2 also, and feeding the tube out signal from the td11 to the hr2, the difference in sound is exactly what i'd expect and reveals zero need for more anything when coming straight out of the TD11.

the hd800 sound amazing outta the td11 with that voshkod: gobs of bass, beautiful sweet extended highs, mids to make the biggest grump smile and sigh. aint no sign of brightness, brittleness, lack of bass or anything else so many have reported, (or reported can only be cured with vastly more expensive amps.

caveat: i received these with a cardas cable, so maybe i would have had the brightness/lack of bass with the stock cable.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #140 of 276
I think he's asking for a device which is equal to the TubeDAC-11 but only has a DAC/amp and doesn't have preamp functionality (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't really think of anything at the moment - certainly not for the same price. I can understand not wanting to pay for a function that you'll never use, but in this case the price is already so low that it doesn't really help to move to something else. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #141 of 276
I also never cared for the volume section of the TD-11 and would have purchase a cheaper version if they made it w/o the POTs.  But recently a friend really impressed me with a vacuum tube CD player (booo!) and this weekend I decided I wanted to do a critical comparison between the TD11's tube-out and dac-out.  I'm a speaker-fi so I ran both outputs into the CD and TAPE inputs of my dedicated preamp.  In order to make any comparison like this you have to dial in the gains exactly.  Well the TD11's volume knob allowed me to accomplish this so I can now switch inputs on my dedicated preamp and the change occurs completely undetectable to the listener (no click or pop at any volume).  I would assume that with time (as the tube ages) this volume position would need to change.

I do most of my listening on dac-out, but on those days that my ears are fatigued or my music selection is harsh, I need only switch inputs to get the subtle change I want.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #142 of 276
Probably asked before: GF TubeDAC-11 or Yulong D100mk2?

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #143 of 276
Quote:
Probably asked before: GF TubeDAC-11 or Yulong D100mk2?

Depends on what your needs are. Pure sound quality? In my opinion the D100 II is superior. Especially via USB or when using a basic transport rather than something higher end - D100 it is far superior in terms of jitter reduction. However, the TubeDAC has a bit more "flavor" to the sound and loads more options to mess with, which might make it a better fit for some people. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #144 of 276
Quote:

Depends on what your needs are. Pure sound quality? In my opinion the D100 II is superior. Especially via USB or when using a basic transport rather than something higher end - D100 it is far superior in terms of jitter reduction. However, the TubeDAC has a bit more "flavor" to the sound and loads more options to mess with, which might make it a better fit for some people. 

Ok so D100II, gotcha

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #145 of 276
Quote:

by options do you just mean the different inputs/outputs or am I missing something

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #147 of 276
How do you guys find it in you to change out an awesome tube for experimenting?

I'm so in love withthe 7DJ8 I have absolutely no inclination to roll anything else...

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #148 of 276
Originally Posted by JCYC5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you guys find it in you to change out an awesome tube for experimenting?

I'm so in love withthe 7DJ8 I have absolutely no inclination to roll anything else...

Yup.. that Zaerix tube is awesome.  What headphones are you using with the TD-11's tube out?

I've got a pair of the Voskhod Russian "Rocket" 6N23P on the way.. the ones analog'd has been raving about.  I've read great things about it everywhere, really.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #149 of 276
get yourselves a voskhod 6N23p, you will thank me.  i kept hearing people say it's basically a giant killer so i gave it a try a few months back. I like the zaerix 7 a lot myself, and have an array of mullards, teles, amperexes (bugle boys and orange globe) and although i am wanting to try a 60's white label us amperex - the voskhod 6n23p is what i keep returning to. i will never spen the insane amounts(for my budget) it takes to obtain certain tubes though. over 200 for a single tube aint gonna happen in this boy's rig.  I find a significant improvement with the voskhod 6n23p over the Zaerix across the board. everything i'd read and been told about the voskhod was right on the money - there is nothing lacking in it. the highs are closer to the ultimately transparent and extended highs of the tele than my other tubes, there is PLENTY of body, the mids have only a touch of lushness about them (unlike the mullards) so they do the trick without being overtly euphonic, and the bass might be the best of all my tubes (deep, tight, detailed/transparent, a bit of punch). The best part of their sonic signature is that all of these elements are displayed in balance more perfectly than any of my other tubes, although i find that to be a strength of the Zaerix 7dj8 in my system.

i'm not sure what years to look for but apparently 70's 80's are the good old days. I received one late 70's and on early 80's and they sound alike and amazing. the 2 together cost maybe 40 bucks?  

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #150 of 276
How would you compare the Voskhod to the Electro Harmonix that lots of folks have rolled into the TD-11.  I rolled in the EH a few months ago, too, and I'm loving it a whole lot.  The improvement from the stock tube to the EH was very significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back