REVIEW: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
Feb 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #151 of 276
Quote:
get yourselves a voskhod 6N23p, you will thank me.  i kept hearing people say it's basically a giant killer so i gave it a try a few months back. I like the zaerix 7 a lot myself, and have an array of mullards, teles, amperexes (bugle boys and orange globe) and although i am wanting to try a 60's white label us amperex - the voskhod 6n23p is what i keep returning to. i will never spen the insane amounts(for my budget) it takes to obtain certain tubes though. over 200 for a single tube aint gonna happen in this boy's rig.  I find a significant improvement with the voskhod 6n23p over the Zaerix across the board. everything i'd read and been told about the voskhod was right on the money - there is nothing lacking in it. the highs are closer to the ultimately transparent and extended highs of the tele than my other tubes, there is PLENTY of body, the mids have only a touch of lushness about them (unlike the mullards) so they do the trick without being overtly euphonic, and the bass might be the best of all my tubes (deep, tight, detailed/transparent, a bit of punch). The best part of their sonic signature is that all of these elements are displayed in balance more perfectly than any of my other tubes, although i find that to be a strength of the Zaerix 7dj8 in my system.

i'm not sure what years to look for but apparently 70's 80's are the good old days. I received one late 70's and on early 80's and they sound alike and amazing. the 2 together cost maybe 40 bucks?  

$200 for a single tube? For that much I would want a box of 20

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #152 of 276
Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

get yourselves a voskhod 6N23p, you will thank me.  i kept hearing people say it's basically a giant killer so i gave it a try a few months back. I like the zaerix 7 a lot myself, and have an array of mullards, teles, amperexes (bugle boys and orange globe) and although i am wanting to try a 60's white label us amperex - the voskhod 6n23p is what i keep returning to. i will never spen the insane amounts(for my budget) it takes to obtain certain tubes though. over 200 for a single tube aint gonna happen in this boy's rig.  I find a significant improvement with the voskhod 6n23p over the Zaerix across the board. everything i'd read and been told about the voskhod was right on the money - there is nothing lacking in it. the highs are closer to the ultimately transparent and extended highs of the tele than my other tubes, there is PLENTY of body, the mids have only a touch of lushness about them (unlike the mullards) so they do the trick without being overtly euphonic, and the bass might be the best of all my tubes (deep, tight, detailed/transparent, a bit of punch). The best part of their sonic signature is that all of these elements are displayed in balance more perfectly than any of my other tubes, although i find that to be a strength of the Zaerix 7dj8 in my system.

i'm not sure what years to look for but apparently 70's 80's are the good old days. I received one late 70's and on early 80's and they sound alike and amazing. the 2 together cost maybe 40 bucks?  

I owe you a beer (for getting me hip to this tube) if I ever meet you, analog'd.  I've had the Voskhod "Rocket" 6N23P for roughly a week now.. it's been in my TD-11 since it's arrived & been burned in/used for well over 100 hours in my desktop rig (TD-11 > LP G109-S > HD800).  It's phenomenal.  Things that immediately jump out at me is the soundstage, speed, detail, clarity, transparency, and balance.  I'll have more thoughts on how it sounds in the TD-11, soon.. but I just wanted to mention that all the praise analog'd has thrown at this ridiculously affordable tube is deserved... cause I'm experiencing it first hand as I'm typing this.  It's a tube that definitely leans to the neutral side of things.. but as analog'd stated, it's got a nice touch of color in places.  For it to sound this good with the ultra-picky HD800 says something (quite positive) too.

How would you compare the Voskhod to the Electro Harmonix that lots of folks have rolled into the TD-11.  I rolled in the EH a few months ago, too, and I'm loving it a whole lot.  The improvement from the stock tube to the EH was very significant.

I like the EH 6922, as well.. a superb value.  That being said, I'd put it just behind the Zaerix 7DJ8 & Gold Lion.. and just ahead of the TD-11's stock tube (though I've recently developed a soft spot for the stock tube cause in my rig (and setting technicalities aside) it synergizes wonderfully with the HD800).  The Voskhod in comparison to the EH (and Zaerix & GL) ?  There is no comparison.. it walks all over them when it comes to transparency, clarity, and resolution.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #154 of 276
Hi,

I have more questions, if you don't mind answering them.

For now, I don't know what I exactly want for the DT11, whether using in a speaker setup or headphone. Because of that, I'll try to cover both situations.

1) Considering a speaker setup, which amps do you recommend? Same prince range and about 100W of power, solid state. If here isn't the best place for this question, where is the correct one?

2)You said the tube output may work well or bad with low impedance headphones. I got a Fidelio X1 which has 30ohm, lower than the ideal value. What should I do, if the results aren't expected? Buy one headphone amp? Again, which one should I buy? In this case I think it's more complicated because I have three outputs and two (or three if you consider the hybrid ones) kinds of amps.

Thanks for helping me,

Eduardo

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #155 of 276
Quote:
Hi,

I have more questions, if you don't mind answering them.

For now, I don't know what I exactly want for the DT11, whether using in a speaker setup or headphone. Because of that, I'll try to cover both situations.

1) Considering a speaker setup, which amps do you recommend? Same prince range and about 100W of power, solid state. If here isn't the best place for this question, where is the correct one?

2)You said the tube output may work well or bad with low impedance headphones. I got a Fidelio X1 which has 30ohm, lower than the ideal value. What should I do, if the results aren't expected? Buy one headphone amp? Again, which one should I buy? In this case I think it's more complicated because I have three outputs and two (or three if you consider the hybrid ones) kinds of amps.

Thanks for helping me,

Eduardo

1) I don't know where you are based, but for spending $350 or so on a 100wpc amp, I'd definitely look for a good used model. You can check Audiogon but depending on where you live, some sellers won't ship to you. For that price and power requirement I'd look for Adcom or maybe Carver amps. The other option would be a vintage integrated amp - Pioneer, Sansui, that sort of thing. They can be had for low prices and should sound really nice, though 100wpc might be optimistic. The only thing about these is you need to very condition - older units often need cleaning up, capacitors replaced, and stuff like that.

2) If the tube out doesn't sound great with the X1 (and I suspect it won't) then you'd need an external amp. Plenty of choices out there - Matrix M-Stage, Lake People G103, etc. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #156 of 276
Hi all,

Would the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter's in-built amplifier be able to drive the Hifiman HE-500? Since posters have mentioned it's good for high ohm, so I'm wondering whether a 38Ohm hifiman would work well with Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter's tubes? (since people recommend tubes for high impedance and solid-state for low impedance, whatever those words mean i don't know lol).
I'm intending for this Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter to be like my final amp/dac.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #158 of 276
Quote:
It does a reasonably good job, but you aren't getting the best possible performance out of the HE-500. I'd say go for it for a stopgap solution, with the idea of eventually adding a dedicated amp somewhere down the line. 

Hi project86, thanks for the reply.

Hmm... as I may not ever purchase another amp/dac in the future (at least that's what I'm supposed to tell myself), I was wondering then how you would compare the grand fidelity here with the 1) audinst hud-mx2 and the 2) NFB 11.32 as all-in-one solutions for the HE-500?

[edited here] Or, what kind of amp would you look at to go with the grant fidelity here? (any inexpensive options?)

(I still like this grant fidelity cause it has so many functions packed into one which is really great for long term use)

Thank you.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #159 of 276
Quote:
Hi project86, thanks for the reply.

Hmm... as I may not ever purchase another amp/dac in the future (at least that's what I'm supposed to tell myself), I was wondering then how you would compare the grand fidelity here with the 1) audinst hud-mx2 and the 2) NFB 11.32 as all-in-one solutions for the HE-500?

[edited here] Or, what kind of amp would you look at to go with the grant fidelity here? (any inexpensive options?)

(I still like this grant fidelity cause it has so many functions packed into one which is really great for long term use)

Thank you.

I have no experience with the 11.32 so I'm not sure about that one. The TubeDAC-11 does do a credible job though, but I'd probably pair it with an HE-400 rather than an HE-500. In that case everything is pretty even. If you went for the HE-500, it's more revealing and more difficult to drive, so you would find yourself wanting to add more amplification. 

But still, TubeDAC-11 plus HE-500 should satisfy. Later I'd sat add in a Lake People G103 (under $300) and you'd be all set. Run it from the tube output, or the solid state output, for different flavors. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #162 of 276
Since the HE-500 is so very hungry for power, you really need a head amp.  A reasonably-priced solution for amplification that has gotten glowing marks is the 8.5 watt hybrid integrated Qinpu A3 for $199.  Drive the HE-500s from the speaker  taps, though, for best results. (You'll have to swap out cable, though.  Google it.)  To save a bit on the DAC, try a Headstreamer or the new Meridian Explorer.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this, but I have read about it.  These Qinpu amps are getting off-the-charts reviews.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #163 of 276
the Senn HD800s I got here used (w/ cardas blue cable) love being driven by the TubeDac-11.
i'm going through all of my half dozen tubes again and so far land back on the "russian rocket", sound is also very good from the tube out through my hr2, so I have a huge range of "flavor" changing capabliity. depending on the recording, I am liking the sonics straihjt outta the tube out more than through the hr2, but on some things the difference favors the hr2. could live with either very easily. the td-11 proves itself to me again as it rises to the occasion to drive the higher end cans i'm tryin with it now (the hd800s and a pair of Beyer T1s), I love this unassuming little beauty. You do not have to spend a fortune to drive the HD800s to glory as the TD11 is less than 400 bucks and the voshkod tube is less than 30 bucks.   

I am looking for First Headphones with my new desktop rig TD-11. I was looking around and I'm leaning toward the Senn HD650 or HD700 and I notice you are driving the HD800 straight via tubeout? I didn't think it was possible since they are power monsters I heard, so the 700's should sound good as well direct tube out?

I'm also a tube rolling virgin and I think the Russian rocket will be my first or the Zaerix, which would you suggest for the above phones?

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #164 of 276
sure sounds like it's shining to this boy. i have an rsa hr2 also, and feeding the tube out signal from the td11 to the hr2, the difference in sound is exactly what i'd expect and reveals zero need for more anything when coming straight out of the TD11.

the hd800 sound amazing outta the td11 with that voshkod: gobs of bass, beautiful sweet extended highs, mids to make the biggest grump smile and sigh. aint no sign of brightness, brittleness, lack of bass or anything else so many have reported, (or reported can only be cured with vastly more expensive amps.

caveat: i received these with a cardas cable, so maybe i would have had the brightness/lack of bass with the stock cable.

I may have answered my own question the HD800 are 300ohm, HD700 are 150ohm.

The reason I was not considering the HD800 (other than price) is because most reviews said the bass was light and eventhough I am a jazzman at heart I do enjoy tasteful hip hop and slamming R&B from time to time. How's the bass on the 800's and did the Russian tube help in that area? or which tube gave the 800's the best low end?

Or for my type of music should I just get the 650's and call it a day or get the 700's, use the 800's savings and get a tube head amp? I really want to keep my desktop equipment lite as a goal since I purchased my downstream monitors with that purpose.

Anybody with thoughts please chim in!!

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #165 of 276
Project86
Thanks for the great review it is the main reason I am now a proud TD-11 owner. The reason for my question is tube out headphone related. The following product I'm interested in so I won't have to unhook my monitors
every time I want to do headphones.
(well I tried to paste the image but oh well)
It's a gold plated RCA y adapter solid not cabled that spits to 2 female RCA's so I can keep monitors and RCA to 1/4 adapter connected. Will this impact the ohm issues for the headphones eventhough the monitors will be off?

Thanks again for a great review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back