Review: Grado Statement 1000
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #196 of 211
Cables can make a big difference when they add resistance (or take it away) as in the case with the Etymotic P to S cable but overall, cable additions to headphones won't make that much of a difference at all. Grado already uses exceptionally high quality copper wiring with the GS-1000's. Personally, I would blow all my cash on the system and then a bunch of music before I would even contemplate a cable upgrade. The bonus of a cable upgrade would be losing the "y" connector but you would also likley gain skin noise depending on the sheathing.

There is a lot to think about but as Mortalcoil suggested, going GS-1000 (if that is where your heart lies anyway) is a great way to go from the outset. It makes a whole lot of sense to just buy what you want right away if you can, rather than do the baby steps all the way there, upgrading over time. You lose more money that way. Again, some enjoy the journey, myself included, but it is hard on the wallet.

As for owning both, how much time do you spend listening to music? If it is non-stop then owning more than one phone can be beneficial as a changeup in sound signature. Yet, if you simply enjoy the GS-1000's more than the RS-1's you may find yourself only choosing the GS-1000's and the RS-1's will be a wonderful location for a dust colony.

At present I have 5 main phones each serving a different purpose:

Westone UM2's: I use these when I go to sleep
Grado iGrados: I use these when I'm out for a run or at work
Grado RS-1's: I use these at my school office
Grado GS-1000 and PS-1's: These are my home phones and I switch up between the two depending on what I am listening to. To force myself to share equally between them, I have my PS-1/Melos hooked up to my CD player and the GS-1000/EAR HP4 hooked up to my vinyl rig. However, for the last while, I have been without a cartridge so I have had to switch up phones to my cd player and I tend to just grab what is already hooked up when I just want to listen.

This may seem a bit over the top, but it serves me well. Yet, if I did not have a school office, I would have the RS-1's PS-1's and GS-1000's to choose from at home. Ultimately something is going to be left alone for a long period of time.

Yet, ask me which I would choose to sell and I would have a hard time giving an answer.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #197 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado already uses exceptionally high quality copper wiring with the GS-1000's. Personally, I would blow all my cash on the system and then a bunch of music before I would even contemplate a cable upgrade.

OK. That sounds like

Apogee Duet (for DAC) >> RA-1 >> GS1000

Quote:

There is a lot to think about but as Mortalcoil suggested, going GS-1000 (if that is where your heart lies anyway) is a great way to go from the outset. It makes a whole lot of sense to just buy what you want right away if you can, rather than do the baby steps all the way there, upgrading over time.

Good philosophy, Zanth: go for what you want from the outset. So I have decided to do that component by component, rather than step-by-step the whole process. So, say, given $1500, I won't spread it equally between many components but rather go for -like now- the best headphones. My hesitation between RS1 and GS1000 is not a matter of whether I should choose best or second best, but rather which one of the two actually is best for my choice of music. It seems to lean towards GS1000, though it must be said that a disproportionate amount of my listening time goes into female vocal at present. So I may end up like you, owning both RS1 and GS1000 as equal companions for different use. That, and maybe a complement with a totally different signature, like the Darth Beyers, when I really want a drown-out bass experience. So it's a question of what to buy first, given my musical preferences. Methinks methinks methinks GS1000. In precisely 2 months.

Quote:

As for owning both, how much time do you spend listening to music? If it is non-stop then owning more than one phone can be beneficial as a changeup in sound signature. Yet, if you simply enjoy the GS-1000's more than the RS-1's you may find yourself only choosing the GS-1000's and the RS-1's will be a wonderful location for a dust colony.

Several hours per day. But I'll get GS1000 first, alone, and then see if my female vocals need even more attention.

Quote:

This may seem a bit over the top, but it serves me well. Yet, if I did not have a school office, I would have the RS-1's PS-1's and GS-1000's to choose from at home. Ultimately something is going to be left alone for a long period of time.

Yet, ask me which I would choose to sell and I would have a hard time giving an answer.

I'm sure you would sell PS-1 in a few years, and I would stand there waiting to buy them off you as final complimentary third pair of headphones.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #198 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree with you except for one thing. It is an open phone which is the main reason I also have the L3000 as most times I just plain can't use an open phone out of consideration to my environment. And then there are things the L3000 does that the GS-1000 just never will do. For me they are the perfect complimentary pair.

As for cable upgrade I can't comment as I got my GS-1000 already recabled and balanced and have never heard the stock version.

Having not heard the L3000 obviously I cant comment on its sound. However,judging by its God like rep, I have to agree with you that probably would cover all the bases. Exotica probably at its best
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #199 of 211
Regarding previous posts about the ZD+GS1000, I'm beginning to differ in my opinion on this combination. I've been an owner of a ZD + GS1000 for quite a few months now. The ZD I've owned for about 3 months, and the GS1K much longer. Think of this post as a longer term impression of the GS1K.

The ZD+GS1K combo is an enjoyable one, but after going back to my long time Grace 901+GS1K combination, I still prefer the Grace 901 much more - whether it be classical, jazz, vocals, pop - pretty much any genre.

The ZD seems much better paired w/ Senns; and the GS1K sounds like an ideal pairing w/ the Grace 901 (similar in nature to the Senns sounding synergistic w/ the ZD).

I noticed that there hasn't been a lot written about the Grace 901 and GS1K combination, and thought to bring it to attention here. If you're looking for a GS1K amp, the Grace 901/m902 is one to try.

I love my ZD, but I can't see why I would prefer it over the 901 if I'm listening to my GS1Ks.

Areas of improvement of the grace over the zd are: balanced sound throughout, extended treble, and the biggest difference of all, better bass extension and tightness. Some of this can be worked out by tube-rolling the ZD, but I've yet to find a combination that is ideal with minimal compromise. Don't read to deep into my description of the sound though, as I'm not the best at describing sound; the bottom line is I find it better in many regards in an obvious way.

If people say that the Senns+ZD have some balanced amp sound characteristics, then so does the Grace 901 + GS1K.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #200 of 211
jooper: if the ZD tends to suffer from even slightly what the older Moth amps did (difficult in getting the current required for 32 ohm headphones) then it is no wonder that the Grace would overall sound better in the way you describe.

Again I have no idea if the ZD is suffering from this or not, just that the older Moth amps did and thus my worry that perhaps looking at another amp first might be best. A used EAR HP4 would be a good start.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #201 of 211
I just got GS-1000 pads for my SR-325i's and the sound changed a lot. I never heard GS-1000 so i cant say if they sound any similar to it but if any one every tried them pads on 325i's and compared to GS-k then tell me please. The sound is more laid back and i dont like it at all, the only thing that seems improved is bass but is still not as crisp as it use to be, is more like Senn's bass. One more thing...never had more comfotable pads!!! those GS-1000's pads are so comfy that you don't even know they are on your head. So does 325i's with GS-k stock pads sound any similar to GS-1000's? Sorry if this question was asked before I didn't see it and I didnt want to make thread about it...

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #202 of 211
PM me in August, Syler, and remind me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #204 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got GS-1000 pads for my SR-325i's and the sound changed a lot. I never heard GS-1000 so i cant say if they sound any similar to it but if any one every tried them pads on 325i's and compared to GS-k then tell me please. The sound is more laid back and i dont like it at all, the only thing that seems improved is bass but is still not as crisp as it use to be, is more like Senn's bass. One more thing...never had more comfotable pads!!! those GS-1000's pads are so comfy that you don't even know they are on your head. So does 325i's with GS-k stock pads sound any similar to GS-1000's? Sorry if this question was asked before I didn't see it and I didnt want to make thread about it...

The 325i with bagels dont sound anything like the GS1-k. Actually ,the bagels are really designed for the GS1-K only. When used on the RS or Prestige series the bagels alter the sound considerably, usually not favourably.

Keep in mind that depth of cups, driver tuning, even material used is totally different. So, the short answer would be no. A 325 or any Grado for that matter will never sound like the GS1-k. Ive tried using bowls on the GSk and the same holds true also - too bassy, doesnt sound right.

Cheers
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #205 of 211
Ah ok, good that GS-k doesn't sound anything like 325i's with bagels because sound is really...beefy lol. I may have a chance to listen to GS-k today
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #206 of 211
Your thoughts are most appreciated ...

I'm currently in the fevered and forensic throws of deciding whether to keep the Stax system that showed up on my doorstep today ...

stax1.jpg

Or ... the option of selling it and getting the GS1000's to compliment my already fine and lovely RS1 based dynamic rig (Stello HP100/Grado RS1/Havana Tube DAC) ...

But the more I listen to the Stax ...

The more I want to figure a way to keep it and *ALSO* get the GS1000's to compliment my RS1 based dynamic rig!

LMAO!

Truly insidious ...

Anyway ...

The beauty of the Stax system is the sound stage ...

It seriously OWNS the RS1's ....

But the RS1's ... just being fair and all ... OWNS the Stax in regards to midrange and detail ...

So I guess my only option is to keep the Stax and also buy a set of GS1000's ...

Oh ...

The pain.

And curses upon those who first got me in to this disgustingly insidious hobby!

darthsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #207 of 211
wow just the kind of post I was looking for, makes me wonder if I should pay 50 dollars more and get the gs1000 over the rs1. (someone is selling both and he is selling the gs1000 for 50 more.)

thanks for any advice

austin

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #208 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by eertelppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow just the kind of post I was looking for, makes me wonder if I should pay 50 dollars more and get the gs1000 over the rs1. (someone is selling both and he is selling the gs1000 for 50 more.)

thanks for any advice

austin

Very different hps. I recommend hearing them, if at all possible. You may greatly prefer one over the other. I have them both and prefer the GS1K but that's a combination of my preferences, the style of music I listen to mostly and the gear I use.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #209 of 211

I hope this is true. The treble is torturing my eardrums right now 
frown.gif

Quote:
[size=medium]REVIEW: Grado Statement 1000 Headphones[/size]

Before they were broken in, the highs were disproportionately accentuated, but after 100 hours or so of burn in, everything really fell into place in a pretty permanent position. I would say that the phones were pretty well broken in after 50, but certainly after 100 I was not hearing anything new.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #210 of 211

Quote:
I hope this is true. The treble is torturing my eardrums right now 
frown.gif

Try this very simple and reversible mod on your GS1000 pads ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409437/simple-reversible-mod-for-gs-1000

When I first got the GS1000's, I had some issues with them right out of the box; I also really enjoyed some aspects of them ...

What I liked was the soundstage and the incredible detail ... I found them best at lower listening levels as, like yourself, I considered them just a little too treble forward for me ... not really in a painful way but just as though the highs were a bit too much up in the mix ...

What I didn't like was the fact that the driver distance from my ears resulted in a sound that to my ears was just a bit too thin ... or "distant" sounding ... and I found myself having to turn my amp up quite a bit just to get a good solid sound. Also, I didn't think they measured up to the (my opinion) excellent Grado mid range I'd heard in their other cans ... again, the driver distance from my ear sort of sucked out the mids a bit much for me (I'm a huge fan of good mids, btw) ...

BUT ... the above mentioned pad mod COMPLETELY made a believer out of me; I've had my pads on that slightly compressed "setting" for a couple years now and to be honest ... that mod was what convinced me to keep the GS1000's as it quite handily solved the few problems I had with the stock configuration: the mids were more forward, the high's were not as thin and sharp and though the soundstage was ever so slightly affected (lessened) ... the phones still conveyed an uncanny sense of room and space ...

So try the mod and see what you think ... it really is like crossing the RS1 with the GS1000 ...

Best

.j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back