review for Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo) ?
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #46 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the + marking will have to stop somewhere... You know, even C++ didn't evolve and named C+++
wink.gif

As for the balanced model, I'm thinking about it, but we don't have a schedule on that at the moment. However, if we do try, I do have a pair of AKG K271DF modified to take balanced input (using K1000 compatible plug, I prefer this over two XLR plugs), which should allow us to evaluate how much of an improvement does the balanced version do.

Anyways, we are currently working on other projects that should result in interesting products for those who might not be exactly interested in DynaLo.
wink.gif
I will be able to post a bit of extra stuff once we have some concrete results.
wink.gif

Thanks

David

Possibly the next version could be the HA-007, no?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #48 of 151
Quote:

We are working on a couple of other rather interesting projects at the moment, I'm certain you guys would be intrigued by it when the info is revealed.
wink.gif
The only info I can release is that it is not a replacement for our current HA-006+/++.
biggrin.gif

If you are hinting at a Dynahi, I would be all over it. I'm also waiting for this new upgraded 006++++ we've been discussing...any idea on its release date?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #49 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modified post as the Sheer Audio unit isn't strictly a Dynalo - slightly modified output stage.

I have 2 Dynalos w/Noble pot and a Gilmore V1 w/Noble pot and I sold another Gilmore V1 w/Alps pot. I plan to test with another Alps pot as the amps are modular.

I just now had wondering about the Dynalo option to change the biasing for the output stage to use a diode + resistor instead of the original which uses a resistor only. This could explain some of the subtle differences I hear between units.

There are so may options it is hard to make qualitative judgements about circuit topology, potentiometer, power supply, PCB layout, and other hardware (jacks).

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #50 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2 Dynalos w/Noble pot and a Gilmore V1 w/Noble pot and I sold another Gilmore V1 w/Alps pot. I plan to test with another Alps pot as the amps are modular.

I just now had wondering about the Dynalo option to change the biasing for the output stage to use a diode + resistor instead of the original which uses a resistor only. This could explain some of the subtle differences I hear between units.

There are so may options it is hard to make qualitative judgements about circuit topology, potentiometer, power supply, PCB layout, and other hardware (jacks).

If you build your own, you might have a little variations between them as each build is a chance to try something new or some interesting parts that had just came up. And if you get it from different builder/manufacturer, then the difference would be even greater.

The advantage that I have when I tune these units is that start with two identical unit, with only minor differences between them. Then compare if the minor difference makes any difference in the listening test. The process goes on with the under-performing unit upgraded to the same as the one that came out ahead , then add another minor upgrade while I was at it. This process had gone on for months before we finally settled on the final design. Of course, the stepped attenuator is one of the first things that we tested, and it does sound pretty good and does not produce as much noise as some of those more popular stepped attenuator that had been around.

While we were waiting for some new circuit boards and custom transformers (Even better than the KECES transformer used by the + model), that when we came up with further revisions to the final version of HA-006++.

IMHO at the end, it is kinda fun if you look at it from hindsight, but it surely ain't all that fun when you have to compare and test each tuning technique out one by one.
wink.gif
If I'm just doing it for DIY fun, I'd just chuck all the upgrade at it at once and be done with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

David

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #51 of 151
Maniac. Please update this thread as soon as you have new info about a release date for either the 006++ or the new secret project you're working on. My wallet's ready.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #52 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maniac. Please update this thread as soon as you have new info about a release date for either the 006++ or the new secret project you're working on. My wallet's ready.

+1

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #53 of 151
I'm basically just waiting on the transformer and a couple pieces of new circuit board.
smily_headphones1.gif
The rest of the upgrade parts are already in stock. :p I'm hoping that they will be ready before the end of next week.

I'm wondering, is anyone here interested in pre-orders? For pre-orders, we are considering giving those who have pre-ordered a choice of either free shipping or a free Acoustic-Fun SIO Quartz Multi-Fiber TOSLink cable. (If you want C75X coaxial cable instead, that can be arranged too.) Any one interested? If there's enough interest, I'll have the pre-order page up ASAP.
wink.gif

As for other secret projects, we are working on that too.
wink.gif
It is not ready for release of information yet, but hopefully soon.
wink.gif

Thanks

David

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #55 of 151
Yes, it is the upgraded version of HA-006+, which will be called HA-006++ and a label at the back will identify it as HA-006++ Special Edition. Most of the parts in there are upgraded and tuned over the past half year. As mentioned before, it will share the same chassis as the original HA-006+ to save on costs, but virtually all significant components are upgraded or tuned to work better. Connectors, circuits, parts, pots, and even the power supply and transformer are upgraded.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for gain, changing gain on the ++ edition is free, you may select any gain that you like, but may cause a couple of days delay before shipment. (For pre-orders, there's no such problem, as your gain preferences are going to be scheduled in the production queue and shipped when it is officially released.)

I'll setup the pre-order page soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

David

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #56 of 151
So what price would the preorder be at?

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #57 of 151
Quote:

Yes, it is the upgraded version of HA-006+, which will be called HA-006++ and a label at the back will identify it as HA-006++ Special Edition. Most of the parts in there are upgraded and tuned over the past half year. As mentioned before, it will share the same chassis as the original HA-006+ to save on costs, but virtually all significant components are upgraded or tuned to work better. Connectors, circuits, parts, pots, and even the power supply and transformer are upgraded.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for gain, changing gain on the ++ edition is free, you may select any gain that you like, but may cause a couple of days delay before shipment. (For pre-orders, there's no such problem, as your gain preferences are going to be scheduled in the production queue and shipped when it is officially released.)

I'll setup the pre-order page soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

David

Wait I think you mean it's HA-006+++, lol? I have the HA-006++ with the less noisy coil... it says Plus Edition on the back of mine.

Or just to make it simpler this is HA-006++ Special Edition?

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #58 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what price would the preorder be at?

$450USD as what it would be when it is ready, but for pre-order you can have a choice of the following bonus:

option 1. Free Acoustic-Fun SIO Toslink cable, or 2 C75X Coaxial cable if you need digital cable for your setup.

If you do not need digital cables, then there's the option 2.

option 2. Free shipping (for Africa/Mid-America/South-America it won't be free, but it will be discounted accordingly)

Thanks

David

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #59 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait I think you mean it's HA-006+++, lol? I have the HA-006++ with the less noisy coil... it says Plus Edition on the back of mine.

Or just to make it simpler this is HA-006++ Special Edition?

Actually, you have the single + version. The less noisy transformer is not counted as an upgrade even tho it is, as it is used mainly to fix the hum issue related to the EI transformer.

The one we are about to introduce is the ++ Special Edition like you mentioned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back