review for Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo) ?
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #76 of 151
There is no possibility to get it with adjustable gain is there?

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #77 of 151
For some reason, Acoustic-Fun's site has been down for me for the past few days...

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #78 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no possibility to get it with adjustable gain is there?

The gain setting is done with four 0.1% high precision resistor on HA-006++, to ensure the sensitive feedback circuit works in the best condition, we opted not to have a gain select switch. Maybe in the future, when we completely redesign the board, we might find a spot to fit gain select switch, but for now it is not going to be easy and optimal if we try to install some kind of gain setting switch.

However, the stepped pot itself is more or less making up for the function, as it works just great from the first step, and does not suffer the quality problem of "the first quarter" that so many normal pots suffer.

Thanks

David

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #80 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems odd, could you try using google's DNS, it is at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if it is DNS' problem?

thanks

David

Thanks David, that worked. Oddly enough, it was only your website that was giving me problems.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #84 of 151
Sneak peek update for HA-006++, some more photos.

The stainless bolts and stuff had just arrived, and here's the pic of it and the current parts installed on the prototype:

img4100q.jpg

Top down view, with most of the components already in place. Parts of the back panel is still yet to arrive. With the new power/signal board in place, the cable management will be much neater than what it is now, and better RCA sockets will be used too.

img4101.jpg

The 21 step stepped attenuator in its place.

img4102b.jpg

Front panel, standard locking socket is now replaced with Neutrik locking socket and stainless steel screws.

img4103.jpg

Our Acoustic-Fun Class-Z series custom transformer, still waiting on the factory to deliver the production batch.

img4104o.jpg

The stainless bolt that holds the transformer in place.

As for comparison between HA-006+/++ and M3, I think referencing to other comparisons between Dynalo and M3 would be a good starting point, as it is afterall, another version of DynaLo.

Thanks

David

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #85 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the Gilmore Lite (Dynalo) but not the M^3. I would guess that they will sound different due to the different design/principles. The Lite sounded like wire-with-gain, very transparent, slightly bright-ish.

Thanks for the input!
Wire-with-gain I like! On the other hand, my phones are AKGs 702 and I'd be hesitant to mate them with a "bright-ish" amp.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for comparison between HA-006+/++ and M3, I think referencing to other comparisons between Dynalo and M3 would be a good starting point, as it is afterall, another version of DynaLo.

Thanks David.
I'll probably have to ask on the Dynalo thread.
"M3" is too short and doesn't show up when trying to search for it. :S

P.S. Are those pics of the "++" version?

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #86 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks David.
I'll probably have to ask on the Dynalo thread.
"M3" is too short and doesn't show up when trying to search for it. :S

P.S. Are those pics of the "++" version?

Indeed, I've forgot to note that in the message, I've just added another line to note that.

Thanks

David

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #87 of 151
David,
I am thinking about purchasing the ++ for my upcoming JH13 Pro. Do you think the it will hiss with sensitive IEMs at the lowest gain? What about channel imbalance at low volume?

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #88 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David,
I am thinking about purchasing the ++ for my upcoming JH13 Pro. Do you think the it will hiss with sensitive IEMs at the lowest gain? What about channel imbalance at low volume?

I'm proud to say that all HA-006+ and ++ are extremely quiet, unless you crank it way up, you will not hear any hissing at all. At that volume, it WILL be so loud that no one would reasonably listen to music at that volume, at normal volume it is impossible to hear any hissing at all.

The above test is done at 11x gain, if you opt for lower gain, it would be even harder to detect any hissing at all. IIRC, other users have recommended JH13 Pro to use a lower gain setting for ease of use.

As for channel imbalance, with our HA-006++, I can say that it does not exist.
wink.gif
It uses a 21 step attenuator that is matched to within 1% of each other, it is way more precise than then normal pots often used by audio equipments. From the first step to the last, it will remain extremely precise.

Thanks

David

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #89 of 151

Users who are viewing this thread

Back