review for Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo) ?
Apr 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #62 of 151
Maniac, I read in your site: Now users can choose between original (11x), 3x or 1x gain free of charge. Is this an user selectable to be used with different cans, or a choice to set up the amp upon ordering it? Thanks.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #64 of 151
It is a factory set value, not an user re-selectable option. I've decided to have it at 11, 3 and 1 mainly for the reason that 5~6x gain is not that much different from 11 when being used in practice (and not that much different even when tested on a scope).

When ordering, choose the value at the bottom of the page and you are all set
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #66 of 151
Hey Maniac,

Now that the volume control has changed... do you lose out on the precise volume adjustment? If I wanted to change my volume by 0.3db would I be able to do it on this new control? If not, what's the most precise it goes to?

I'm kind of weird with volume control like that... I like to do mini-adjustments till I feel it's perfect for the music.

Also, how low is 1? I plan on using this mainly with a JH-13 IEM which is very sensitive... From reading other amp threads I was going to choose 2x but never seen 1x before, now I'm not sure.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #68 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Maniac,

Now that the volume control has changed... do you lose out on the precise volume adjustment? If I wanted to change my volume by 0.3db would I be able to do it on this new control? If not, what's the most precise it goes to?

I'm kind of weird with volume control like that... I like to do mini-adjustments till I feel it's perfect for the music.

Also, how low is 1? I plan on using this mainly with a JH-13 IEM which is very sensitive... From reading other amp threads I was going to choose 2x but never seen 1x before, now I'm not sure.

I do not have the exact number on hand, but from actual testing I find that this stepped attenuator is very easy to use with steps small enough for most occations. (unlike the 23 step ones that I've used before. I'll see if I can get the exact number for you.

As for 1, yes, like the other guy that have mentioned, it is pretty much unity gain.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #69 of 151
Wonderful. Just put my order in
biggrin.gif

It said $40 for shipping but I'm guessing you'll change that to $0 since I opted for free shipping (wrote in the notes section at checkout)? Probably, cool. Anyway, hopefully it comes soon
biggrin.gif

I opted for 1x gain / unity gain for mine since I'm planning to use it primarily with the JH-13. It should be fine for my HF2's as well. Sweet, now just have to go get molds done for my JH-13 / HA-006++ / Pico DAC awesomeness, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. IT'S GONNA BE ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS (Pico Slim and Sansa Clip+ Rockbox'd on the side).

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #72 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonderful. Just put my order in
biggrin.gif

It said $40 for shipping but I'm guessing you'll change that to $0 since I opted for free shipping (wrote in the notes section at checkout)? Probably, cool. Anyway, hopefully it comes soon
biggrin.gif

I opted for 1x gain / unity gain for mine since I'm planning to use it primarily with the JH-13. It should be fine for my HF2's as well. Sweet, now just have to go get molds done for my JH-13 / HA-006++ / Pico DAC awesomeness, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. IT'S GONNA BE ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS (Pico Slim and Sansa Clip+ Rockbox'd on the side).

Shipping charge refunded!
smily_headphones1.gif

Called the transformer factory about our custom order and they told me that it should be ready by the end of next week. They've got the toroidal all winded up, wrapped, all the proper sticker and taps and connectors installed. The only thing left is the partial potting used for mounting the transformer to the chassis. I opted for partial potting as I prefer to let the transformer more or less unrestricted, for better heat dissipation quality and allow it to contract and expand without the shell of epoxy restricting it.

I picked partial potting over the traditional clamp method for that it will not stress the transformer as much, as the clamp would apply a fair amount of pressure over the entire transformer. While partial potting would not expose the transformer to the compression stress of the clamp, and spread the load of securing the transformer over a wider area.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO, a few extra dollars for the potting was well worth it, tho the extra wait is a little to long for my taste. :p

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #73 of 151
I'm considering buying one of these to use primarily with my HD600 but I also have se530 IEMs I would like to use with it too. Will 3x gain be enough for the hd600 still or should I just get 11x gain.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #74 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering buying one of these to use primarily with my HD600 but I also have se530 IEMs I would like to use with it too. Will 3x gain be enough for the hd600 still or should I just get 11x gain.

I have HA-006+ with 5x gain and its enough for Hd600, AKG701, D5000 and Gs1000. 3x Will be better than 11x.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #75 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by rantamplann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have HA-006+ with 5x gain and its enough for Hd600, AKG701, D5000 and Gs1000. 3x Will be better than 11x.

Great, thanks. Think I will pull the trigger on this today soon
smily_headphones1.gif

(due to my relatively new credit card and it's terribly low limit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back