review for Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo) ?
Feb 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 151

sfrancis

Head-Fier
This appears to quite a bit cheaper compared to Gilmore Lite. However, I can't seem to find any review for this amp. Is this a good amp for HD650 ?

Thanks

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 151
definitely a good amp for the HD650

They should sound almost the same
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely a good amp for the HD650

They should sound almost the same
wink.gif

Thanks. This amp seems to be quite new in the market and probably that's why there are not much reviews?

Basically I am tring to decide between this one and a little dot MkIII.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. This amp seems to be quite new in the market and probably that's why there are not much reviews?

Basically I am tring to decide between this one and a little dot MkIII.

Definitely the Dynalo IMO

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely the Dynalo IMO

Can you elaborate ? The music I'm interested are mainly classical, acoustic/instrumental, vocal, a bit of rock. LD MKIII seems to be quite popular with Sens HD650 here.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 151
@ XXII: Noticed that you have Squeezebox Classic in your signature and that's the source I have now. I may get an external DAC later but for now I need to pick the amp first. Bought a HD650 and now I feel the urgency to make up my mind on amps.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 151
It's a Dynalo, plain and simple. A Dynalo, no matter who makes it, will sound and perform like a Dynalo. Rest depends on power supply and the one inside the Sheer looks like a decent LM317/LM337 split supply, not unlike the HeadAmp DPS or integrated in the HeadAmp GS-1. This is a very common type of split supply.

EDIT: HeadAmp Gilmore Lite and GS-1 are strict versions of the Dynalo, Sheer Audio output stage is slightly modded.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 151
@FallenAngel: thanks for sharing the thoughts. So what you are saying is that I should expect similar performance out of Sheer Audio as opposed to Gilmore Lite. That's good.

Any thoughts on comparing this with a tube amp such as the popular LD MKIII to pair with HD650 with the music I'm interested in ?

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 151
From what I know, Sheer Audio HA-006+ basically changed the input dual JFET to singles equivalent as the duals are impossible to acquire for reasonable price at reasonable quantity. Which is what most DynaLo builders do when they are unable to obtain the JFET in question. What do you mean by modified output stage?

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate ? The music I'm interested are mainly classical, acoustic/instrumental, vocal, a bit of rock. LD MKIII seems to be quite popular with Sens HD650 here.

In my opinion, and based on using a LDMKIII->650 rig for around a year, it's a very euphonic, colored, tubey combination. Many people like that, but a typical dynalo is basically a wire with gain, although I haven't heard the HA-006 in particular.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 151
I have no idea why people are getting iffy about this amp. It's cheap and is a dynalo which has been loved since it was created.

This isn't a con job. Kevin Gilmore even posted that he liked his. Buy it lol.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, and based on using a LDMKIII->650 rig for around a year, it's a very euphonic, colored, tubey combination. Many people like that, but a typical dynalo is basically a wire with gain, although I haven't heard the HA-006 in particular.

I'll also drop in on the listening experience I've had with HA-006+. I mostly used it with my friend's Music ][ headphone and my ER4P IEM.

What I liked most about it is that it tamed the piercing treble of the Music ][, which used to make me take it off within a few minutes of putting it on. It not just merely tamed the treble, but making it very smooth and enjoyable overall. Of course, the bass is also great with it, not overwhelmingly loaded with bass but it provides solid bass with excellent control. The whacks/ka-booms sounds exactly like they should.
wink.gif

I did most of that listening on the bench when I'm testing HA-006+ after I have upgraded them, with my Rio Karma (For some reason, my Rio Karma just won't die....) as source. If anyone is using Karma as a source, you can open the cradle up to upgrade two coupling caps there, cheap and effective way of getting more out of this cheap wonder.
wink.gif

Thanks

David

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 151
Well, here's a bit of a teaser for you all on the upcoming HA-006++'s upgraded parts.

Click photo for a slightly larger photo...

Here's the new RCA socket, custom ordered caps, and 21 stepped pots...
wink.gif
There'll be more parts coming too, some will stand out rather clearly when you compare two version's photo, while some are quite stealthy... (like resistors... virtually all resistor are upgraded to higher spec ones, but it's really difficult to tell them apart if you are just looking... :p)

Estimated price for HA-006++ should be around $450USD plus shipping.

Enjoy.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, here's a bit of a teaser for you all on the upcoming HA-006++'s upgraded parts.

Here's the new RCA socket, custom ordered caps, and 21 stepped pots...
wink.gif
There'll be more parts coming too, some will stand out rather clearly when you compare two version's photo, while some are quite stealthy... (like resistors... virtually all resistor are upgraded to higher spec ones, but it's really difficult to tell them apart if you are just looking... :p)

Estimated price for HA-006++ should be around $450USD plus shipping.

Enjoy.

You will be still doing the HA-006+ for $280 though is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back