Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 12, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #2,326 of 4,469

Quote:
how's the decay and resonance on these? Pretty skeptic about these in that respect due to past experience with BAs that did poorly in this aspect due to their  speed.

I disagree with MVW2 thoughts as to the Triple.Fi as I would not consider the Triple.Fi a refined IEM. Fun...maybe. Refined...NO. Likewise, how you can have something close to muddy and detailed at the same time puzzles me. I have always felt the Triple.Fi to be a muddy headphone and I know many a member here who would agree. However, let me once again state that we all hear differently.
biggrin.gif

I find that the decay on the DBA-02 is quite refined and excellent. It's certainly not as perfect as real life but it comes very, very close. On well recorded material, the decay comes across as refined as any headphone that can be considered a reference. Why?

To me the DBA-02 is full of micro detail and texture. First, let me say that the way sound changes with distance from the source is dependent on the size and shape of the source and also the surrounding environment. This decrease in amplitude when a vibrating force has been removed is called decay. The actual time it takes for a sound to diminish to silence/noise is the decay time. The best way to test this is by recording something yourself with a good quality microphone and a stop watch. Measure the time it takes for the sound to diminish to nothing while recording. Play that back and check with a spectral frequency display to verify that the recording captured the sound accurately. Once that is verified, listen on speakers or headphones and see if you are accurately hearing what you just recorded. Viola!  Now test anything you want!!

My verdict with the DBA-02....it's the best universal IEM I have with regards to decay on a proper recording. IMHO, it beats my UE-10 in regards to decay (and micro detail and texture).

As for micro detail and texture...I find it to also be the best universal IEM I have heard with these qualities. On a good source file you can hear chair squeaks that were hard to hear before. You can hear the musicians turning pages that were hard to hear. You can hear the musicians breathe. I can now hear Jackie McLean gasp for air as he plays!!! As for texture...well...texture is often described in regards to the thickness, range and quality of the notes being recorded. If you want to be impressed, pick up Janos Starker's RCA-Victor recording of Bach's Solo Cello Suites and play it on the DBA-02. If you're not impressed then I don't know what else will impress with regards to texture.

Just my 2 cents.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #2,327 of 4,469

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is like the UM2, but seems a bit more sturdy.

That's. Interesting to hear someone say. I personally hate the cable because I find it rather flimsy and prone to unwinding on both ends (or all three, actually, seeing as it is each earpiece is an end of the wire), very unlike the nicely made Westone cables. I'm assuming that the UM2 has the exact same cable as the UM1?

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #2,328 of 4,469
I think the way I heard the violins on Spring [Four Seasons] is full of micro detail and texture and decay. And I don't think the bass is lacking either when I listened to 1812 Overture w/ Canons :D

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #2,329 of 4,469
there are so many ways to change the way these sound with different angle fitting/ depth/ tips etc. The stock tips and comply are so far my favs. Found out that at least to me, clarity and soundstage seems to be come out more when I have the tip put on not to far down the nossle. Also to put them on I put it upside down with lifting my ear ear lobe up and away from me pointing forward. Then put it in and at the same time turn it allitle bit in a counter clockwise fashion, basically pointing the nossle in a upward fashion in the ear. Then you can put it in in deeper by pulling down on the bottom of your ear lobe while pushing in. This is the best way I have found so far.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2,331 of 4,469
what tips are those, and is that pushed all the way down?

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #2,333 of 4,469
Between your view below and reviews from LFF and Joker, and other DBA mega-fans including slaters70 and surrealsky, I think it's time to stop wondering and start buying. When the next batch is available, I want these phones. That is one powerful argument, and I only hope I can hear what you all hear. With the IE6s (which I got for $55) and the DBAs, not a bad start for a noob.

Oh, what was your new source last night? And did you use an amp? Might be something else I need to buy.

My guess is the DBAs are going to get even more popular when people get them and get the right fit, etc. Seems some new owners may not be happy, but they will find willing customers in the sale forum.

Thanks for that powerful endorsement, especially from a member with so many posts and experience. That's not to slight other DBA fans, but this and LFF's and Joker's reviews should really be required reading for anyone contemplating the DBAs.

Quote:
x2 on everything you said there Shane.  I was waiting for you to have that Aha! moment w/ these things.  The natural reproduction, level of detail, FR, everything is insane in what these can do.  The Bass is the only perplexing thing on these.  75% of the time they seem to be just a hair slight of perfect w/ seemingly rolled off bass extension.  But then you get the other 25% of songs and BAM! the bass is perfect and right there punching hard and heavy.  Must be source right?  Which brings me to another point.  Transparency.  I had a listen last night w/ a new source and I swear I could not stop listening or take these out of my ears.  I knew the batteries were gonna die before I was done.  The level of transparency is shocking in how revealing they are of your gear.  It is insane beyond belief how well these things scale.  These are the most accurate, live sounding IEM I have ever heard.  I actually did a double take listening to Rush thinking someone came into my room and smashed some pots!  Last night was astral projection at it's finest.  All from a tiny $150 headphone?!  These scaled so well w/ my source I'm wondering if I need a $400 Meier Stepdance to do these things justice!

Astonishing when you think about the comparison.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #2,334 of 4,469
So this weekend i got more golden time to spend with the DBA's and all i can say is that these gems just keep getting better and better. Last night i was listening to a few Radiohead albums, Kings of Leon, Andy McKee and i just could not bring myself to take these off. Michael Jackson simply comes to life on the DBA's. They are so good that i am even contemplating selling my HD600 home rig as they have hardly been touched for days.
I have found the perfect tips for my ears and now sibilance is like a thing of the past. All my music is being fed into a "lowly" Hotusb Dac with a Caffeine ultra amp and it simply sounds wonderful. The dac is slightly on the warmer side of neutral and seems to have great synergy with the Fischies. Here is a pic of my home rig:

I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon!

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #2,335 of 4,469
is that a dba cable out of its line out from the amp? it feel different from the original one, do you recable it?

Quote:
So this weekend i got more golden time to spend with the DBA's and all i can say is that these gems just keep getting better and better. Last night i was listening to a few Radiohead albums, Kings of Leon, Andy McKee and i just could not bring myself to take these off. Michael Jackson simply comes to life on the DBA's. They are so good that i am even contemplating selling my HD600 home rig as they have hardly been touched for days.
I have found the perfect tips for my ears and now sibilance is like a thing of the past. All my music is being fed into a "lowly" Hotusb Dac with a Caffeine ultra amp and it simply sounds wonderful. The dac is slightly on the warmer side of neutral and seems to have great synergy with the Fischies. Here is a pic of my home rig:

I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon!

that is exactly what i've heard, i love those micro detail it feels that you're not listening to the iem but directly to the music it self.

Quote:

I disagree with MVW2 thoughts as to the Triple.Fi as I would not consider the Triple.Fi a refined IEM. Fun...maybe. Refined...NO. Likewise, how you can have something close to muddy and detailed at the same time puzzles me. I have always felt the Triple.Fi to be a muddy headphone and I know many a member here who would agree. However, let me once again state that we all hear differently.
biggrin.gif

I find that they decay on the DBA-02 is quite refined and excellent. It's certainly not as perfect as real life but it comes very, very close. On well recorded material, the decay comes across as refined as any headphone that can be considered a reference. Why?

To me the DBA-02 is full of micro detail and texture. First, let me say that the way sound changes with distance from the source is dependent on the size and shape of the source and also the surrounding environment. This decrease in amplitude when a vibrating force has been removed is called decay. The actual time it takes for a sound to diminish to silence/noise is the decay time. The best way to test this is by recording something yourself with a good quality microphone and a stop watch. Measure the time it takes for the sound to diminish to nothing while recording. Play that back and check with a spectral frequency display to verify that the recording captured the sound accurately. Once that is verified, listen on speakers or headphones and see if you are accurately hearing what you just recorded. Viola!  Now test anything you want!!

My verdict with the DBA-02....it's the best universal IEM I have with regards to decay on a proper recording. IMHO, it beats my UE-10 in regards to decay (and micro detail and texture).

As for micro detail and texture...I find it to also be the best universal IEM I have heard with these qualities. On a good source file you can hear chair squeaks that were hard to hear before. You can hear the musicians turning pages that were hard to hear. You can hear the musicians breathe. I can now hear Jackie McLean gasp for air as he plays!!! As for texture...well...texture is often described in regards to the thickness, range and quality of the notes being recorded. If you want to be impressed, pick up Janos Starker's RCA-Victor recording of Bach's Solo Cello Suites and play it on the DBA-02. If you're not impressed then I don't know what else will impress with regards to texture.

Just my 2 cents.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #2,337 of 4,469
You might interest in this: Replug Breakaway Audio Plug. I am think of picking one up myself.

Quote:
Nah i didn't recable it, im just using a short extension cable. I have had some bad luck with 3.5mm jacks in the past so it is used to protect the one on the DBA.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #2,338 of 4,469

Quote:
Between your view below and reviews from LFF and Joker, and other DBA mega-fans including slaters70 and surrealsky, I think it's time to stop wondering and start buying. When the next batch is available, I want these phones. That is one powerful argument, and I only hope I can hear what you all hear. With the IE6s (which I got for $55) and the DBAs, not a bad start for a noob.

Oh, what was your new source last night? And did you use an amp? Might be something else I need to buy.

My guess is the DBAs are going to get even more popular when people get them and get the right fit, etc. Seems some new owners may not be happy, but they will find willing customers in the sale forum.

Thanks for that powerful endorsement, especially from a member with so many posts and experience. That's not to slight other DBA fans, but this and LFF's and Joker's reviews should really be required reading for anyone contemplating the DBAs.

I'm a sucker for transparency, clarity and details and the dba's have replaced my pfe's and ck10 ( loaned from a friend) as my current on the go portable rig with s:flo2. I no longer lug my iriver combo around as i don't see the need to anymore and i shudder at the prospect of further paring it up with a solid amp. Isolation with the complys are top notch ( the outside world is completely shut off) , they fit comfortably thus giving me hours of audio bliss and the only acceptable flaw for me were that they were borderline sibilant with certain tracks.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #2,339 of 4,469
So I've been following these things for awhile. It looks like quite a few people who ordered the last batch just got them in. Does anybody know when these will become available again?  After this thread I sort of need a pair! 
o2smile.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #2,340 of 4,469

Quote:
That's. Interesting to hear someone say. I personally hate the cable because I find it rather flimsy and prone to unwinding on both ends (or all three, actually, seeing as it is each earpiece is an end of the wire), very unlike the nicely made Westone cables. I'm assuming that the UM2 has the exact same cable as the UM1?

I haven't had any unwinding issues... yet. I might as I use them more. The UM2 cable is the identical cable to the Earsonics SM3, not sure about the UM3x or UM1, as I've never had those. The wind on the UM2 is slightly tighter, and the plastic coating seems a bit stiffer and glossier, but the DBA's cable is thicker, and that's what inspired me to say 'seems a bit more sturdy'. So far, I've had no issues with this cable and like it, but I've only had it less than a week.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back