Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #2,311 of 4,469

Quote:
Ah, but I did like the CK10. The main problem was that I couldn't listen to them for more than a couple of hours without needing a break from the treble. I was one of those who posted that the CK10 didn't have enough bass impact for me without EQ, but with EQ it was much better. The DBA's are supposed to have a little more bass and a slightly less pronounced treble than the CK10, in which case, I think I'll like them.

I still think it's about time that you get a proper high end custom like JH13Pro or ES5 (or ES3X, but I'm not into the extra heavy bass models).

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #2,312 of 4,469

Quote:
I still think it's about time that you get a proper high end custom like JH13Pro or ES5 (or ES3X, but I'm not into the extra heavy bass models).

ksc75smile.gif
You do??

Actually, the JH13Pro has so far been the only custom to pique my interest. But they're incredibly expensive, and I'd rather buy some home gear for that price. And then of course, there's the FI-BA-SS which james444 reviewed recently, which apparently cost nigh on $1000? They have me curious too. I just need to win the lottery!

The DBA's seem to represent good value for money, and the reviews are very positive. I don't need more phones though, I just want them!

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #2,313 of 4,469

Quote:

X2

JH13Pro's for Soozieq!

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2,314 of 4,469

Quote:
The DBA's seem to represent good value for money, and the reviews are very positive. I don't need more phones though, I just want them!

Value, indeed. Greatly preferred to recent purchases of 2x$ or more. 
wink_face.gif

Having never heard the CK10, I can't compare, but these can (depending on tip, insertion depth, seal, you know...) be bright. I'm pretty sensitive to 'overly bright' (hence dumping a couple of the Beyers for that reason), but these don't go there. They also have never added any sibilance to any of my files (all uncompressed or Lossless).
I've only listened to these with Comply's (trimmed flat, a la kwkarth), so that may absorb some of the top end that the silicone and flange's don't.

They seem to actually have changed slightly... or my 'hearing' has. Last nights insertion rendered the bass more apparent and the highs tamed a bit. Could be psychoacoustics, allergies, or x-over break-in.
wink_face.gif

Either way, I found lasts night's session to be extremely enjoyable. Very naturalistic. I'll be doing some actual tone testing tomorrow... (today my A/V computer is busy doing other things.
frown.gif
 ), so I'll be able to discuss things a bit better, but...

Holy crap, these puppies seem flat... dead flat neutral across the spectrum. But without tones, and just listening to test tracks, I can not detect any emphasis or recession anywhere. High roll-off is way up there... and the mids are damn clean. Very natural reproduction.
So far, if there is a roll-off or recession anywhere it's in the lower part of the spectrum, maybe at 160hz or so. The extension seems to be there at times, but it's pretty held back. Bring that up to neutral would be a benefit, but not a deal-breaker.

Comfort is outstanding. These can be inserted as deeply or shallow as you wish. It also means that different size Olives can be used to create a good seal at different depths.
Great cable. NO microphonics. The cable is like the UM2, but seems a bit more sturdy. The earpieces themselves are very easy to hold and insert. No juggling or maneuvering around wires or flipping cable connections. Cable is good length for movement, with a large V neck section. The 'keeper' has a tendency to ride up as I work out... kind of odd... and eventually touches my chin. No biggie... I just push it back. If I push it all the way down to the Y, it doesn't ride up, but if it's about half-way... up it comes!

Until I actually do some more critical testing tomorrow, I don't have much more to add. I'm very glad I got these. Kudo's to those who wrote so favorably about them and made me curious.

Cheers

shane

PS... Nice to see you here Sooz...

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2,315 of 4,469

Quote:
Ah, but I did like the CK10. The main problem was that I couldn't listen to them for more than a couple of hours without needing a break from the treble. I was one of those who posted that the CK10 didn't have enough bass impact for me without EQ, but with EQ it was much better. The DBA's are supposed to have a little more bass and a slightly less pronounced treble than the CK10, in which case, I think I'll like them.

Fair enough. I do like the CK10 bass better however but the DBA-02 isn't bad but extension isn't as good imo. If you want a very very tiny amount more with less treble then these will probably be it.

@shane: I think triple flanges for those who can use those tips which automatically rules shane out will absorb enough for most. Of course when I had them the first time I only used the Shure triples since I don't have any other tips that fit them without a spacer at that time. I'm assuming by keeper you mean the chin slider, cord cinch or whatever people want to call it. I had the problem of that falling back down to the Y split area very soon after I set it so I guess the opposite problem is now the case with the newest batch :p

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #2,316 of 4,469

Quote:
@shane: I think triple flanges for those who can use those tips which automatically rules shane out will absorb enough for most. Of course when I had them the first time I only used the Shure triples since I don't have any other tips that fit them without a spacer at that time. I'm assuming by keeper you mean the chin slider, cord cinch or whatever people want to call it. I had the problem of that falling back down to the Y split area very soon after I set it so I guess the opposite problem is now the case with the newest batch :p

Yup... It's a watch strap term that I found somewhat appropriate.  
ksc75smile.gif

Yeah, could be the motion when working out, but odd... next thing I knew... choke... (no, not that bad). 
tongue.gif

As for the triple-double-single flange... I seem to always read about how they bring out the highs, not absorb them. So that's new to me. I have no experience there (as you, of course know), so just going by what I've read elsewhere. Foamies are known and hated for that effect. The kwkarth method is brilliant and especially for the DBA's works very well. I'll try the olives (trimmed and not) later today or tomorrow with my tone tests.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2,317 of 4,469
Triple flanges usually does a couple things for me so I'm not sure about others. It increases the sound stage, gives it more bass and lowers the amount of sibilance (and treble energy) but details but such are not affected much.

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2,318 of 4,469
Well, if you are getting them, then I might too. I just got my first pair of "expensive" IEMs, the Sennheiser IE6s, but the DBA-02s do sound enticing. Guess I will have to wait for them to be available from Budgen.

Quote:
I'm getting a pair on Tuesday. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had better not be sibilant or ugly or big or uncomfortable or coppery or goldy or... no, that's about it. I've read a lot of this thread already. But now that I have a pair coming, I need to go back and obsess over every single post
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2,319 of 4,469

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Having never heard the CK10, I can't compare

Your impressions are very interesting Shane. The CK10 was extremely lively in the treble region. I loved it, but my ears couldn't stand it for long periods. They were often described as neutral by some owners, but I definitely didn't hear them that way, The treble stood out above everything else, followed by the mids, and then the bass. That's the way i heard them. Actually, I'm getting another pair of CK10 because I really want to hear them side by side after hearing all the similarities they have. And I can't really compare them unless I have both at hand
smile.gif

Quote:
shane55 said:

PS... Nice to see you here Sooz...  

Ahhh, thanks
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Triple flanges usually does a couple things for me so I'm not sure about others. It increases the sound stage, gives it more bass and lowers the amount of sibilance (and treble energy) but details but such are not affected much.

I can't use triple-flange or double-flange tips. It always feel like I have a sausage in my ear. Mega uncomfortable.

Quote:
X2

JH13Pro's for Soozieq!

Hi elnero!

So do you think the JH13's will outdo my beloved C700's from three years ago??? Times were so much simpler then. There were only about three top-tier phones and a handful of mid-entry and budget phones to choose from. Now there's just too many to keep up with.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2,320 of 4,469

Quote:
Hi elnero!

So do you think the JH13's will outdo my beloved C700's from three years ago??? Times were so much simpler then. There were only about three top-tier phones and a handful of mid-entry and budget phones to choose from. Now there's just too many to keep up with.

I never did hear C700's but JH13Pro's make mincemeat of any universals I've owned or heard, in fact I'd have to say they're some of the best audio I've heard regardless of it being IEM's, headphones or speakers. I still have my Triple.Fi's around for back up and it amazes me the difference when I shift to them, it's like somebody threw a blanket over the music.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #2,321 of 4,469

Quote:

I never did hear C700's but JH13Pro's make mincemeat of any universals I've owned or heard, in fact I'd have to say they're some of the best audio I've heard regardless of it being IEM's, headphones or speakers. I still have my Triple.Fi's around for back up and it amazes me the difference when I shift to them, it's like somebody threw a blanket over the music.

That's funny! When I went from the C700's to the TF10's... I didn't listen to the C700's for two weeks. When I went back to them, I thought they were broken. I was shoving them in my ears really deep trying to locate the other half of the music, which had mysteriously gone missing since I'd been listening to the TF10's
smile_phones.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2,323 of 4,469

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Having never heard the CK10, I can't compare, but these can (depending on tip, insertion depth, seal, you know...) be bright. I'm pretty sensitive to 'overly bright' (hence dumping a couple of the Beyers for that reason), but these don't go there. They also have never added any sibilance to any of my files (all uncompressed or Lossless).

They seem to actually have changed slightly... or my 'hearing' has. Last nights insertion rendered the bass more apparent and the highs tamed a bit. Could be psychoacoustics, allergies, or x-over break-in.
wink_face.gif

Either way, I found lasts night's session to be extremely enjoyable. Very naturalistic. I'll be doing some actual tone testing tomorrow... (today my A/V computer is busy doing other things.
frown.gif
 ), so I'll be able to discuss things a bit better, but...

Holy crap, these puppies seem flat... dead flat neutral across the spectrum. But without tones, and just listening to test tracks, I can not detect any emphasis or recession anywhere. High roll-off is way up there... and the mids are damn clean. Very natural reproduction.
So far, if there is a roll-off or recession anywhere it's in the lower part of the spectrum, maybe at 160hz or so. The extension seems to be there at times, but it's pretty held back. Bring that up to neutral would be a benefit, but not a deal-breaker.

Comfort is outstanding. These can be inserted as deeply or shallow as you wish. It also means that different size Olives can be used to create a good seal at different depths.
Great cable. NO microphonics. The cable is like the UM2, but seems a bit more sturdy. The earpieces themselves are very easy to hold and insert. No juggling or maneuvering around wires or flipping cable connections. Cable is good length for movement, with a large V neck section. The 'keeper' has a tendency to ride up as I work out... kind of odd... and eventually touches my chin. No biggie... I just push it back. If I push it all the way down to the Y, it doesn't ride up, but if it's about half-way... up it comes!

Until I actually do some more critical testing tomorrow, I don't have much more to add. I'm very glad I got these. Kudo's to those who wrote so favorably about them and made me curious.

x2 on everything you said there Shane.  I was waiting for you to have that Aha! moment w/ these things.  The natural reproduction, level of detail, FR, everything is insane in what these can do.  The Bass is the only perplexing thing on these.  75% of the time they seem to be just a hair slight of perfect w/ seemingly rolled off bass extension.  But then you get the other 25% of songs and BAM! the bass is perfect and right there punching hard and heavy.  Must be source right?  Which brings me to another point.  Transparency.  I had a listen last night w/ a new source and I swear I could not stop listening or take these out of my ears.  I knew the batteries were gonna die before I was done.  The level of transparency is shocking in how revealing they are of your gear.  It is insane beyond belief how well these things scale.  These are the most accurate, live sounding IEM I have ever heard.  I actually did a double take listening to Rush thinking someone came into my room and smashed some pots!  Last night was astral projection at it's finest.  All from a tiny $150 headphone?!  These scaled so well w/ my source I'm wondering if I need a $400 Meier Stepdance to do these things justice!

Quote:
@elnero, I'd be glad to know how the DBA's would perform against the JH13Pro :)

Astonishing when you think about the comparison.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #2,324 of 4,469
how's the decay and resonance on these? Pretty skeptic about these in that respect due to past experience with BAs that did poorly in this aspect due to their  speed.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2,325 of 4,469
Well, they are short on decay like you'd expect from a BA, so if you don't like that, pick another option.  A good comparable to the DBA-02 is the SE530/SE535.  The drivers used have a similar sound signature to me.

A BA earphone that I would suggest to you is the Klipsch Custom 3.  It's one of the few BA designs that do have a thicker textured note.  Others that are not "BA sound" are the ER4, Triple.Fi 10, and Westone products.  The Audio Technica CK10 is also very good about filling out a note.  The advantage of these BA options are that they can provide both a thick, nearly muddy sound yet still be very detailed, and well controlled.  Bang for the buck, nothing beats the Custom 3.  For $99, it outclasses everything remotely close to its price point and is really only a half step down from the best out there and only due to a little EQ work (although not needed) and the thicker note slighlty muddying together the micro details(relative to a clean BA).  I'm a big fan of the highly refined yet fun nature of the Triple.Fi 10 to, enveloping and toe tapping good.  You just get lost in the music,although it's not the most realistic or analytical earphone out there.  The CK10 is one of the most accurate earphones out there with tons of micro detail, texture, and a life-like sound, although I would suggest running a Comply TX-500 tip on it to soak up the 10kHz peak which makes it a lot more livable if you don't have access to an EQ.  I will also point out the SA6 as an excellent BA driver with a very natural presentation.  Being a single BA earphone, it is somewhat limited relative to the others, but it works well and scales well with EQing.  The driver itself is a very good choice and when EQed is extended and very natural sounding.  The very low end does still sound slightly taught, but the driver wasn't really geared for bottom end.  It fairs better than expected when EQed up and pushed.  The SA6 is probably the most natural sounding BA driver I've heard.  A lot of it just sounds right.  CK90Pro is another one that does start to step slightly away from the BA sound and does offer a little more robust lower end.  Midrange and higher base is good, although the bottom end is still a little BA like.  There are a lot of choices.  I always will suggest the Custom 3 as a good option.  It offers great SQ for dirt cheap.  It's an excellent mix of what you want from a BA and avoids what you don't want from a BA, and that's hard to come by.

How does the DBA-02 fit?   It has its place.  Like the SE530, there is an excellent sense of realism, and sounds do sound life-like.  But like the SE530, notes are short on decay and a touch thin in body.  This forces a loss of fullness in lower frequencies and some lack of micro detail and texture.  The CK10 is really one of the couple that can both pull off a very tidy note but also a very well textured note.  In many ways articulation means muddy, to a degree, and if you want something super clean, you get the really short decay and a lean sound.  This isn't only BA driver earphones either.  This is how something like the RE-ZERO is geared, taught and tidy, but I feel something is lost doing so.  The DBA-02 is up along the SE530 and CK10 for a real sound.  It's well detailed, unusually energetic, and balanced.  The note energy is probably it's main feature over other options.  The higher frequencies carry impressive strength that many times is short changed by a lot of other earphones.  I really like the high frequency driver used.  Once it transitions to the low frequency driver, the epic nature of the DBA-02 tames down.  It's a good match, but the low end is a lot more of a "normal" BA sound.  It's not bad and a decent choice for the earphone.  It works.  It's just doesn't bring as much to the table as the high frequency driver does.  Very seldom do I talk about drivers within an earphone.  Many blend seemlessly or at least sound the same.  Only a couple earphones have obviously, I don't want to say mismatched...different sounding drivers, not much but enough to notice.  The DBA-02 has this.  The Triple.Fi 10 has this.  It's one of those things where I start wondering how the earphone would sound different with a different driver.  How would the DBA-02 sound with its high frequencies driver paired to and matched with the Triple.Fi 10 bass driver or the Custom 3 low frequency driver?  It would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back