Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2,296 of 4,469
I haven't gotten mine yet but as I said in post #2281 it's still within the expected time window.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #2,297 of 4,469
Transpaaareeent!!! :D

Quote:
Especially true with the DBA-02's!
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #2,299 of 4,469

Quote:
Especially true with the DBA-02's!
beerchug.gif

Yes Sir... any revealing IEM or HP will reveal good and bad. GIGO.
These are very revealing, and I've heard some things in my test recordings I haven't heard in many other IEM's. Very refreshing...
Bottom line, you have source files (DAC or Amp... or anything in the chain) that is crap, you're going to hear it. If it is a good recording, good file, good DAC, Amp... Ahhhhhhhh....

shane

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #2,300 of 4,469

Quote:
As for the DBA-04, its not really anything breaking, I told of new developments more than a month ago. Looks like it got a name.

By DBA04 ethan do you mean the DIYed custom mods posted on the Russian forums? Hmm I'm wondering if it's possible to send these to UM (or some other company) to add a third bass driver/custom shell, does anyone know if UM is capable of managing the X-over and if this would possibly affect the sound negatively? E.g. too much bass from two drivers handling it instead of just the mid-bass driver in the original. (I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject though, so please correct me if my impressions are wrong)

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2,301 of 4,469

Quote:
By DBA04 ethan do you mean the DIYed custom mods posted on the Russian forums? Hmm I'm wondering if it's possible to send these to UM (or some other company) to add a third bass driver/custom shell, does anyone know if UM is capable of managing the X-over and if this would possibly affect the sound negatively? E.g. too much bass from two drivers handling it instead of just the mid-bass driver in the original. (I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject though, so please correct me if my impressions are wrong)

I would be very cautious about a third party handling the Xovers.  So far I have had issues w/ every multi driver IEM I have heard so far except the DBA.  Probably just me. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #2,304 of 4,469

Quote:

They could try but it's not that easy. It's not as simple as just throwing in an extra driver in the shell. The crossover has to be done as well. However considering the driver used in the DBA-02 it shouldn't be something they haven't done before assuming you pick a bass driver that's popular among other customs to go along with the TWFK in the DBA-02.

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #2,305 of 4,469
TWFK? And will tweaking the crossovers affect the sound on the other drivers? If the bass/mids driver currently present in the DBA could be dedicated to just mids, I think these things would REALLY shine.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #2,306 of 4,469

Quote:

No, not those customs. This is a different product.

I would not let UM touch the crossover - they would have to design their own. It's not as easy as it sounds to just slap on another driver.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #2,307 of 4,469
From my understanding based on a picture of a opened up DBA-02 these use a TWFK probably ordered to fit some kind of special specs that FA has. You would not be able to use the same crossover since it doesn't work that way. If you add a bass driver something like say a CI22955 is pretty popular and similar to other earphones. The ES3X is one such that uses a TWFK and CI22955. UM would have to do their own crossover and testing on it. It really isn't as easy just like Ethan says. It's not like you can just throw in a bass driver and then make a mold and you are done with it. Although UM has done something similar but with a TWFK that hasn't been custom ordered and a CI22955 so it's not like they can't do it. It may however be more expensive than you may want to spend.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2,308 of 4,469
I'm getting a pair on Tuesday. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had better not be sibilant or ugly or big or uncomfortable or coppery or goldy or... no, that's about it. I've read a lot of this thread already. But now that I have a pair coming, I need to go back and obsess over every single post
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #2,309 of 4,469
That's pretty surprising considering how you didn't like the CK10. They are a bit different but they are much more similar than they are different. Hopefully these turn out better for you than the CK10 did.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2,310 of 4,469

Quote:
That's pretty surprising considering how you didn't like the CK10. They are a bit different but they are much more similar than they are different. Hopefully these turn out better for you than the CK10 did.

Ah, but I did like the CK10. The main problem was that I couldn't listen to them for more than a couple of hours without needing a break from the treble. I was one of those who posted that the CK10 didn't have enough bass impact for me without EQ, but with EQ it was much better. The DBA's are supposed to have a little more bass and a slightly less pronounced treble than the CK10, in which case, I think I'll like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back