Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #2,356 of 4,469

Quote:
Eagles' Hell Freezes Over is said to be a perfect performance from this super band... musically yes... but if you listen to it with the DBAs - you'll hear the shortcomings in the recording e.g. ground hum here and there :)

Really?? I'll find out tomorrow when I get my DBA's. I always thought "Hell Freezes Over" was a very good recording, especially considering it's live. Saw the tour, loved it - and the album sounds great with just about any decent phones I've used. What source are you using? I'm using a Sony X, but I've heard the album with several other daps/phones combo and have never noticed the hum you're talking about. Hmmm
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #2,357 of 4,469
Well I bought my pair of JosephKim.  He is supposed to ship out today!

From what I have read, these will be the upgrade for mthe TF10 that I have been lookign for (less muddy bass, more pronounced mids).  Unfortunately I do not have any tips that will fit these, so I will only be able to listen with the stock ones to start.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #2,358 of 4,469

Quote:

Mine were shipped out today and should be here tomorrow! Unfortunately, my left ear is really painful and I might not even get to listen to them immediately
frown.gif

As for the TF10 (which I owned) I'm expecting a very contrasting sound signature with the DBA's, kind of like the difference between the IE8 and CK10
biggrin.gif

I also have no other tips to use. Or maybe I do. I think mine are coming with some Shure foamies. Oh well, nothing to do now but wait
devil_face.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #2,359 of 4,469

Quote:

Mine were shipped out today and should be here tomorrow! Unfortunately, my left ear is really painful and I might not even get to listen to them immediately
frown.gif

As for the TF10 (which I owned) I'm expecting a very contrasting sound signature with the DBA's, kind of like the difference between the IE8 and CK10
biggrin.gif

I also have no other tips to use. Or maybe I do. I think mine are coming with some Shure foamies. Oh well, nothing to do now but wait
devil_face.gif

Sorry to hear about your ear...
frown.gif

Yes, Shure Olives work very well with these, as do trimmed flat Comply P-type.

shane

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #2,360 of 4,469
Thanks shane
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #2,361 of 4,469
What's bad about the stock tips? You haven't even heard them yet

Quote:

From what I have read, these will be the upgrade for mthe TF10 that I have been lookign for (less muddy bass, more pronounced mids).  Unfortunately I do not have any tips that will fit these, so I will only be able to listen with the stock ones to start.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2,362 of 4,469

Quote:
What's bad about the stock tips? You haven't even heard them yet

I get the best sound from the stock single flange tips or Shure gray soft flex (basically same as the stock tips but tighter on the nuzzle). I've tried Ety tri-flange, Shure biflange and Shure Olives. Don't have any of the latest DBA's (yet) so no idea how the new alternate DBA tips compare.

Other ears (slater70, rawster and others) have very different tip experiences. Your ear MMV.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #2,364 of 4,469
Just plugged on to my Nokia N82
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Really?? I'll find out tomorrow when I get my DBA's. I always thought "Hell Freezes Over" was a very good recording, especially considering it's live. Saw the tour, loved it - and the album sounds great with just about any decent phones I've used. What source are you using? I'm using a Sony X, but I've heard the album with several other daps/phones combo and have never noticed the hum you're talking about. Hmmm
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #2,365 of 4,469
I've finally found the right tips for me, which are the tri flange which come with the DBA's... and I got hold of a lossless Muse album (FLAC), and my god.... They are not comparable to when I was using the olives with standard MP3's.

Those who are skeptical.. Take your time to find the right tip.. Even play with the angle that they're inserted. I've got the housing sticking out at 90 degrees to my head with the cable coming out of the housing about 45 degrees upwards going forwards, and then over the ear.

Get some good quality content.. And enjoy. Well worth the effort!

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #2,366 of 4,469

Quote:
Eagles' Hell Freezes Over is said to be a perfect performance from this super band... musically yes... but if you listen to it with the DBAs - you'll hear the shortcomings in the recording e.g. ground hum here and there
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Very true.  Lots of issues w/ the recording of the live performance.  If you know the album well its a good test for lots of aspects.  Tequila Sunrise is my sibilance check along w/ The Darkness, 'I believe in a thing called Love'.  I also use Hotel California for a quick and basic string resolution and bass check.  Also for SS and imaging which the DDMs failed on that song which was weird to me.  

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #2,368 of 4,469
Yesterday I did my tip tests.
I found virtually no difference between the Shure Olives and Comply's (P trimmed flat, T-100 untrimmed). That's actually very good as the P type gives me the maximum isolation, but if I want to be a tiny bit aware of my surroundings, it's good to know the smaller tips will provide the same sound. That said, the DBA's stem is a bit thicker than the Westone's or Shure IEM's and so the foamies are a real bitch to put on... and pull off. Do-able, but it roughs the foamies up a bit..
That's it. Since I don't 'flange', I haven't more to say on the subject.

Now, tonight I did my Test Tones. And here is where the fun is. Remember, this is how I hear it, these were not measured by any device other than my ears.

I used the flat-trimmed P-type Comply's for consistency, and with them these IEM's were capable of producing an amazing bandwidth. Clean highs were heard through 15khz. Lows were present down to 20hz. OMG!! These puppies have some serious extension. Granted, after 100hz things drop off a bit, but the tones were produced and audable (and actually 'feel-able'). 20hz is more of a 'flutter' than anything else, but it's produced.
As suspected, there seems to be a very slight rise at about 2khz, but it's minimal. Also, another rise at about 9khz, but again very minimal. The highs roll off ever so slightly at about 13k (but that could be my hearing too...
wink_face.gif
 ).

As I heard the DBA-02 with the Comply's... these IEM's produce a seemingly flat response. Other than those two very small rises I detected no obvious recessed frequencies or abnormal accentuations.

Also, the more I listen to them, the more they reveal in my recordings. Things I haven't heard in my last few IEM's (and some full-sized cans) are revealed and back to where I expect them. My test tracks sound as good as they ever have, with a wonderfully open and natural sound. It didn't matter what I threw at them, they excelled at every style of music. Early Music is simply gorgeous. Jazz is lively. Rock is forward and fun.

These are transparent to the equipment. They are the epitome of GIGO. They will change with the track, so be careful of crap. Low quality source files, Amp, DAC... and of course recording will be revealed. The converse is true. A brilliant recording will shine brilliantly. Better equipment will yield better sound. Get some real juice behind these (as has been said many times before) and some of the dispassionate 'sterility' seems to go ever-so-slightly away (not that there's anything wrong with it...). Even better quality SS amps make a difference. I don't have any Tubes, but I can only imagine they would do very well together. 
ksc75smile.gif

Nothing romantic about these IEM's. They do not polish anything with warmth and sweetness. I really like that.

As I said in another post. Fit is great and easy. Cable is perfect for my uses. No microphonics or bone conduction (with foamies, of course). Build quality seems just fine, they did not snap as I desperately pushed and pulled on the tips. I haven't intentionally put undue stress on the reliefs for obvious reasons...
A real no-regrets purchase. 
beerchug.gif
 100% recommended.

Cheers

shane

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2,369 of 4,469

Quote:
Yesterday I did my tip tests.
I found virtually no difference between the Shure Olives and Comply's (P trimmed flat, T-100 untrimmed). That's actually very good as the P type gives me the maximum isolation, but if I want to be a tiny bit aware of my surroundings, it's good to know the smaller tips will provide the same sound. That said, the DBA's stem is a bit thicker than the Westone's or Shure IEM's and so the foamies are a real bitch to put on... and pull off. Do-able, but it roughs the foamies up a bit..
That's it. Since I don't 'flange', I haven't more to say on the subject.

Now, tonight I did my Test Tones. And here is where the fun is. Remember, this is how I hear it, these were not measured by any device other than my ears.

I used the flat-trimmed P-type Comply's for consistency, and with them these IEM's were capable of producing an amazing bandwidth. Clean highs were heard through 15khz. Lows were present down to 20hz. OMG!! These puppies have some serious extension. Granted, after 100hz things drop off a bit, but the tones were produced and audable (and actually 'feel-able'). 20hz is more of a 'flutter' than anything else, but it's produced.
As suspected, there seems to be a very slight rise at about 2khz, but it's minimal. Also, another rise at about 9khz, but again very minimal. The highs roll off ever so slightly at about 13k (but that could be my hearing too...
wink_face.gif
 ).

As I heard the DBA-02 with the Comply's... these IEM's produce a seemingly flat response. Other than those two very small rises I detected no obvious recessed frequencies or abnormal accentuations.

Also, the more I listen to them, the more they reveal in my recordings. Things I haven't heard in my last few IEM's (and some full-sized cans) are revealed and back to where I expect them. My test tracks sound as good as they ever have, with a wonderfully open and natural sound. It didn't matter what I threw at them, they excelled at every style of music. Early Music is simply gorgeous. Jazz is lively. Rock is forward and fun.

These are transparent to the equipment. They are the epitome of GIGO. They will change with the track, so be careful of crap. Low quality source files, Amp, DAC... and of course recording will be revealed. The converse is true. A brilliant recording will shine brilliantly. Better equipment will yield better sound. Get some real juice behind these (as has been said many times before) and some of the dispassionate 'sterility' seems to go ever-so-slightly away (not that there's anything wrong with it...). Even better quality SS amps make a difference. I don't have any Tubes, but I can only imagine they would do very well together. 
ksc75smile.gif

Nothing romantic about these IEM's. They do not polish anything with warmth and sweetness. I really like that.

As I said in another post. Fit is great and easy. Cable is perfect for my uses. No microphonics or bone conduction (with foamies, of course). Build quality seems just fine, they did not snap as I desperately pushed and pulled on the tips. I haven't intentionally put undue stress on the reliefs for obvious reasons...
A real no-regrets purchase. 
beerchug.gif
 100% recommended.

Cheers

shane

x2 

Spot on!

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2,370 of 4,469
Tubes are indeed a nice match - just a tad of warmth that's nice to have. Mind you, my amp is rather bright for a tube amp, but it sounds slightly tubey all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back