REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Nov 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,056 of 2,116
Most fischer audio headphones are made by yoga.  Most of the time there are some more affordable rebrands available, fa-003-digitech, fa-004-ace mp68, fa-006-renkforce cd-340. But I've never seen another rebrand based on yoga cd-440 except fa-011. Has anyone seen more affordable rebrand of cd-440 than fa version? Of course it would sound very different from fa-011 because yoga version would not have wood parts etc... But it would be nice to hear out a simplified fa-011 for 40$ or something...

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,057 of 2,116
  Most fischer audio headphones are made by yoga.  Most of the time there are some more affordable rebrands available, fa-003-digitech, fa-004-ace mp68, fa-006-renkforce cd-340. But I've never seen another rebrand based on yoga cd-440 except fa-011. Has anyone seen more affordable rebrand of cd-440 than fa version? Of course it would sound very different from fa-011 because yoga version would not have wood parts etc... But it would be nice to hear out a simplified fa-011 for 40$ or something...

Is the FA-011 really a rebranded Yoga CD-440? They look a little different..

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,058 of 2,116
So I've heard, but now that I look at the specs those all all different. Changing the headband would not be such a big issue, allthough that would definately reduce the profit margin compared to something you could order from a one oem. Yeah...I guess there is no way those are yoga, atleast not cd-440. Any idea who has made these headphones? Most are yoga made and some are esmooth. I doubt these are made by fischer considering everything else is oem...And having their only 100% self made headphone not being their flagship sounds kind of...well off..I doubt that even the titanium drivers on fa-003TI are not fischer made. Upgraded metal hinges suggest that its actually cd-2500 but they bought a patch from yoga and ditched yoga wood cups so they could sell their own cups.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,059 of 2,116

so they could sell their own cups.

I've bought Fischer wood cups before, without the headphone.. But anyway.

Looking at the Yoga CD-440:

It actually looks a little closer to the Fischer "Jubilate":

...But with more wood. Which I personally approve of.
tongue.gif

Come to think of it, I haven't heard the Jubilate before, but in person, they look and feel pretty solid. It's crossed my mind to buy them as a "show piece".

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,060 of 2,116
I think jubilate is improved version of fa-006 (cd-340). Jubilate is listed with 103db sensitivity, fa-006 and cd-340 are 102db. and cd-440 96db. Other than that specs are same except for jubilates 160ohm impedance. Hmm... I personally would not mind if jubilate is cd-340. I have renkforce cd-340 and it is great headphone. Good soundstage and very detailed. Lacks bass but propably wood cups would fix that. Can't really go wrong with a wooden headphone for that price jubilate sells for :)

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,061 of 2,116
103db vs 102db sensitivity.... Hmm. I wonder if cable thickness/impedance could make that difference? This is all so confusing!

Either way, I'm trying to search for FA-011 clones/OEM. These Turtle Beach HPA2 certainly look familiar:

FWIW, I've listened to the FA-011 LE, and it sounded fantastic. I'm not sure it's worth the asking price, but it had a different sonic signature to the original FA011. Perhaps it is an original model made by Fischer? 

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #2,062 of 2,116
I did some research also. So far it seems that there are atleast 3 headphones with that same housing. Turtle beaches you mentioned, razer barracudas and fischer audio hyperion which apparently has been discontinued. Turtle beach and razer have multiple speakers and I think I found where those headphones are coming from. http://iwonston.en.alibaba.com/product/800758071-218376940/Real_5_1_Surround_channel_PC_headphone_with_detachable_microphone.html

However I did not find any headphones that were not multichannel gaming headphones. Perhaps wonston technology makes the headbands for fischer audio and they use some other drivers in that housing. I guess it's pretty much impossible to find out where the drivers are coming from.  Even if one could get his hands on original drivers and slap on wood housing it would not sound the same without the audio passive enchanger and similar cable fischer uses. Not sure what that ape-02 does though...if it just affects the impedance perhaps using resistors would work. Not being able to get fa-011 sound easily from somewhere else is actually good news. I love the looks but I was unable to justify myself buying a pair before I was certain that I could not get a cheaper rebrand somewhere :)

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #2,063 of 2,116
   Perhaps wonston technology makes the headbands for fischer audio and they use some other drivers in that housing.

This makes sense to me. Unfortunately the headband is the only part of this headphone I'm not a huge fan of, and I would jump at the opportunity to replace it.. Somehow. 

Great detective work! Nicely done. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,066 of 2,116
  that looks nice but doesnt it get hot after extended periods of use?

I tried the same setup but with the angled pads from NVX XPT100.  I ended up removing them after about a minute, not because of the heat, but because they created too good of a seal and created a negative pressure every time I adjusted em.  It ended up killing the bass and felt like the the FA-011a where making out with my ears! 
eek.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,067 of 2,116
  It ended up killing the bass and felt like the the FA-011a where making out with my ears! 
eek.gif

I'm not sure how that would feel, but it's not my experience. The FA003 pads were the best upgrade I did. They have the normal side effects of using pleather over velour, but with the increased seal, I found a terrific increase in bass impact.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #2,068 of 2,116

I'm not sure how that would feel, but it's not my experience. The FA003 pads were the best upgrade I did. They have the normal side effects of using pleather over velour, but with the increased seal, I found a terrific increase in bass impact.

Happy it worked out for you. Not so much for me (and the bass was a tad too much for me stock, so I run Hifiman's Velours instead now.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,069 of 2,116
I did not like the FA-003 pleather pads with the FA-011 at all, muddy and congested sounding. 

Prefer the original pads by a far margin.

As with the FA-011 clones, there are no clones for the FA-011 the resistor zobel alike network inside soldered to the driver does alter the frequency roll-off and sensitivity a bit. The Turtle-beaches are a piece of crap not even the same thing inside except the similar physical structural.

FA-011 LE (Limited Edition) are a re-tuned, better quality FA-011. I wouldn't say it's a step up but more of a side grade or alternative "younger brother" to the original FA-011's.

Reference: Have pulled apart 5+ pairs of FA-011's.

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #2,070 of 2,116
I've pulled a couple apart as well, I have some sitting on my table looking pretty sad.. Ah well. One day!

I did like the longer cable on the FA-011 LE, and overall it certainly looked nice. I wish they changed the headband - some love it, I personally don't.

I agree with you about the sound, too - "Side grade". It's different, I wouldn't necessarily say "better".

But then, we get to the price tag.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back