REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #2,101 of 2,116
I haven't been on head-fi for a while and this thread has been dead for a while but just had to say I really miss my FA-011's...am having a really nice session with my HD6XXs but am sorry I sold the Fischers...they just get under your skin despite other headphones being 'better'...

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #2,102 of 2,116
They really do. I've sold my limited edition FA-011's but still rocking the originals as they still are quite excellent.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,104 of 2,116
I never got to listen to the LE's. How did they compare to the originals?

To be honest, there wasn't a big difference. Some of the difference came from the different pads which felt nicer, but were too shallow for me. Simply described it was a bit more refined FA-011, the bass was a tiny bit tighter, soundstage slightly bigger and maybe a tad smoother sound. The build quality of the cups was better and so was the cable, but I was really dissappointed that they hadn't improved the headband which they should have at that price. Basicly the issue for me was that they still used plastic at the ends of the headband (the bits that keep the leather in place) as those parts were the only things breaking on both my original FA-011's and the LE's. They still haven't fixed that even on the AE...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #2,106 of 2,116
1.JPG 7.JPG PC130067.JPG PC130069.JPG

such a great looking phones !!! Unfortunately never managed to fall in love with the sound signature so I sold it. Now going trough some of my photos found these and remembered how beautiful they were

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,107 of 2,116
I haven't been on head-fi for a while and this thread has been dead for a while but just had to say I really miss my FA-011's...am having a really nice session with my HD6XXs but am sorry I sold the Fischers...they just get under your skin despite other headphones being 'better'...
Right? they just have an alluring sound signature that makes all genres extremely satisfying to listen to. I've listened to hp's that have had better performance in nearly every category but they always had some gaping flaw or drawback that made them a dealbreaker for casual all-rounder use.. especially for the prices. While the fa-011 is definitely not the last word in cleanliness or balance, thats not the main reason i listen to headphones. the main reason i listen to headphones is for music enjoyment, and the fa-011's are perfect for my particular sound signature taste, and are so great for the money (i have the 1rst gen ones with the darker wood). My only direct upgrade path for my desired sound sig that I've been able to identify is the emu teak/lcd2 rev1/2 route, but i still have my doubts that they will be worth 2-4x the price hike nor do i think they will be perfectly suited for everything (like poorly mastered stuff, which I listen to a lot of). The denon d2ks were the closest thing I've had thus far to a similarly perfect sound sig for my taste but the highs in poorly mastered stuff (especially poorly mastered metal) were occasionally so bright and tinny that it made them a no-go for certain things. tl; dr Never getting rid of my fa011's :D

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,108 of 2,116
My only direct upgrade path for my desired sound sig that I've been able to identify is the emu teak/lcd2 rev1/2 route, but i still have my doubts that they will be worth 2-4x the price hike nor do i think they will be perfectly suited for everything (like poorly mastered stuff, which I listen to a lot of).

Actually the Philips Fidelio X1/X2 are a good upgrade. I have the X1 and love them to bits. (still thinking about LCD2 lol)

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #2,109 of 2,116
Actually the Philips Fidelio X1/X2 are a good upgrade. I have the X1 and love them to bits. (still thinking about LCD2 lol)
Never tried the X1's, but I had the X2's and they were way too sucked out in the mids for my liking. I had the version with the gibson pads though and I heard that made a difference.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #2,110 of 2,116
Never tried the X1's, but I had the X2's and they were way too sucked out in the mids for my liking. I had the version with the gibson pads though and I heard that made a difference.

Yeah I'd suggest you try a vanilla one again. It's definitely got a U curve but not any more than the FA01 I'd say.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,111 of 2,116
These were the some of the best gaming headphones around when the first and third editions were released. Wide open soundstage for positional audio, a sound profile that fits FPS'es like a glove.
Easily moddable wooden cans to insert a 3,5mm female jack input so you can use a VModa Boom Pro mic to turn it into one of the most cost effective gaming headsets at €120 for the cans + €30 for the Vmoda Boom Pro at the time.

The only negative was the cheap OEM head band, which caused mine to break down due to internal cable failure. I switched to a Fidelio X2HR + Boom Pro since, but still think they weren't worth double the price of the FA-011, even though they're way more comfortable and built like a tank.

However, both of them blow any pair of dedicated headsets I ever heard (even €200+ ones) out of the water. Especially coupled with the Creative Audio Sound BlasterX G6 USB DAC/AMP/Positional Audio, that can be used with my PC as well as consoles (Dolby Encoded 5.1).

I recently found out the Chinese Oneodio Studio DJ Pro headband would probable fit the FA-011 cans to a T, so I now ordered their cheaper non-pro counterpart which has an identical headband to be a donor to my FA's.
Can't wait to try them again after gaming with the Fidelio's for some time. I can't imagine how FA can ask the current $460 for the 10th Anniversary Edition with the same cheap head band,

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,112 of 2,116
Thank you a ton, LFF for creating the thread for the FA-011 and for the superlative review! It remains relevant even almost a decade down the line, and appreciated.

I have followed your reviews/threads, and have found them insightful and on-point.

You got me looking and searching for the FA-011 with your description of the sound signature - just exactly what I was looking out for rounding up my collection of headphones.

And I am glad to say that I found a good bargain on a re-sell on eBay, and I love the thumping clarity of this headphones!

I thought I must convey my gratitute and appreciation to you for the yeomen service rendered by individuals such as you who share their personal experience for the rest of us to benefit from in some way, and this forum seemed apt and appropriate.

Hope you are keeping well!

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,113 of 2,116
Right? they just have an alluring sound signature that makes all genres extremely satisfying to listen to. I've listened to hp's that have had better performance in nearly every category but they always had some gaping flaw or drawback that made them a dealbreaker for casual all-rounder use.. especially for the prices. While the fa-011 is definitely not the last word in cleanliness or balance, thats not the main reason i listen to headphones. the main reason i listen to headphones is for music enjoyment, and the fa-011's are perfect for my particular sound signature taste, and are so great for the money (i have the 1rst gen ones with the darker wood). My only direct upgrade path for my desired sound sig that I've been able to identify is the emu teak/lcd2 rev1/2 route, but i still have my doubts that they will be worth 2-4x the price hike nor do i think they will be perfectly suited for everything (like poorly mastered stuff, which I listen to a lot of). The denon d2ks were the closest thing I've had thus far to a similarly perfect sound sig for my taste but the highs in poorly mastered stuff (especially poorly mastered metal) were occasionally so bright and tinny that it made them a no-go for certain things. tl; dr Never getting rid of my fa011's :D
I went ahead and sold my HD6XXs and got the last available pair of FA-011s...ahhh sweet bass, lush mids and the soundstage...very happy camper :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #2,114 of 2,116
Mind to do some comparisons to 6xx from memory?

I'm currently in upgrade zone (I came about some free time) and have been looking at a few headphones that I might consider closest upgrade path (elear/elex, Atticus/aeolus) but I still use my fa011s as daily driver and have been for over 6 years despite owning he500 and thx00s because they are so light, have the closest thing to my ideal FR I've heard to this day (punchy midbass, downward tilt/Nike swoosh fr, open sounding) and I can listen to them unamped straight to my computer audio out and they sound great with everything, whether mastered good or bad. I don't hear the headphones with them, I hear the music. I still cheat on them when Im in the mood for thumping subbass or the speed and clarity of planar but 80 percent of the time, they are on my head

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #2,115 of 2,116
Mind to do some comparisons to 6xx from memory?

I'm currently in upgrade zone (I came about some free time) and have been looking at a few headphones that I might consider closest upgrade path (elear/elex, Atticus/aeolus) but I still use my fa011s as daily driver and have been for over 6 years despite owning he500 and thx00s because they are so light, have the closest thing to my ideal FR I've heard to this day (punchy midbass, downward tilt/Nike swoosh fr, open sounding) and I can listen to them unamped straight to my computer audio out and they sound great with everything, whether mastered good or bad. I don't hear the headphones with them, I hear the music. I still cheat on them when Im in the mood for thumping subbass or the speed and clarity of planar but 80 percent of the time, they are on my head
Sorry for the late response - its been pretty crazy for a while...

I would have loved to have been able to keep the HD6XXs as I love their sound out of the amp I've got. It's actually not all that far off the FA-011s but definitely a flatter and more reference tuning. I've never really understood the whole 'veil' thing as I've only ever had them with the Audio-GD SA-31 which is a bit of a monster which outputs 10W into 40ohms and about 1.3W into 300ohms which is plenty of juice for them. I can only assume that they are veiled when not fed properly.

Really nice bass, a little on the warmer side but not much. The Fischers are a lot more impactful - they have this amazing ability to be thundering but not boomy nor overwhelm the mids. The HD6XXs have an amazing midrange, much more intimate vocals, clearer horns, acoustic guitar strums - they really are beautiful. A little more forward than the Fischers and (this will probably change somewhat as my ears get more used to them again) not quite as dark as the Fischers. The highs are crisp, clear, not super airy but again, really nice. The Fischers can get a bit excited up there at times compared to the Sennys. Definitely a wider soundstage on the Fischers. All up, I probably preferred the HD6XXs for jazz and classical but for Drum n' Bass, EDM, rock, metal and most other genres the FA-011s are my preference. They also happen to be great for jazz and classical, just not as good as the Sennys.

I will definitely get another pair when I can afford them and I also have my eyes on the Atticus/Aeolus as their tuning seems to be right in line with my preferences. The HD6XX is also close to these, but you definitely need proper amplification - a bare minimum of an O2 or a CTH from Drop but if I get them again, I'll be aiming for an OTL tube amp this time around. I'm curious that you can drive your FA-011s straight from your PC - mine sounded really subdued and way too dark and boomy straight from a PC and even from my old Fiio X1 DAP. You must have a decent soundcard or the edition you have may just be easier to drive.

As a side note, the HE500s are supposed to be a bit of a magical match with my amp and I am dying to hear the THX00s, which version do you have? I'd love to get some purplehearts. Anyway, so far am very happy again with the FA-011s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back