Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,326 of 3,047
Got my FA-003 reterminated to balanced today and they exhibit all the traditional benefits of balancing. Darker background and better control and tighter sound that seems to reach deeper. And as the stock cable is 4 wires all the way it is easy to do (just the wires are varnished so a bit of a pain to solder). For my preferences they are now scarily close to the Ed8 I had before (I might actually prefer the more balanced/neutral sound of the FA-003).

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,327 of 3,047

Quote:
if the brainwavz hm5 = fa 003, then your experience sounds exactly like mine. here's what i'll tell ya. burn in. burn in. burn in. (left it for my brother to use for 3 weeks)
in the end though, your satisfaction depends on whether you like to HEAR the bass, or FEEL the bass. if feel is what you're after, and taking into consideration how similar your experience is to mine, you'll never be satisfied. if hear is good for you, burn in solves the problem.

p.s. i don't know what they sound like with PROPER bass boosting amps like the zo, on fiio e5, i hear coloration too easily and that's not the kind of sound i want from these headphones

I left my FA-003s burning in for some 80 more hours - basically I just left them running on my iPod in shuffle mode until the battery ran out, charged up and did it again.  The difference to the bass is PHENOMENAL - deeper, tighter, much more present.  I' sure the overall sound has improved in all aspects, but most noticeable was the improvement to the lower frequencies.  Great tip...I think I'll do it again to see whether it continues to improve even further.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,329 of 3,047
Hey guys. Is there a way to reduce the clamping force? I can't wear these headphones for too long before it gets painful. I remember reading a solution but have been unable to locate it. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,330 of 3,047
I have tried the "place over several books" method and only found it to smash the pads. Not for me.

Then I tried to bend the top internal plastic band....until....it snapped. Still using them just fine, since there is still metal/plastic holding the rest together. So, don't do what I did and bend the headband; it is a hard plastic that cannot be re-formed.

If you do not have the ear pieces adjusted all the way to the smallest size, then you will see the spring steel exposed (on each side above the yoke, where you see the indicator lines pressed into the steel).

This is what I bent to get the the right fit. It is also how I adjusted the clamp force on my HD600. Carefully bend each (left and right) metal band that exits the yolk holder.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2,332 of 3,047
I just got my FA-003s, and they're wonderful. They beat my HD25 in almost every way -- better comfort, better detail, better soundstage. The one place where the HD25 still seems better is in reproducing the sound of electric guitars. This is especially evident in the song Thor by Manowar, which seems boring and flat on the Fischers in comparison with the Sennheisers. But I noticed that when I mess with the EQ on the FA-003, adding a boost around 1 kHz, the guitar sounds better. Has anybody played around and found good EQ settings with these to emphasize electric guitar sounds?

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,333 of 3,047
Does anyone else find the jacks that connect into the cans are annoying? During my time with the FA003 I found them quite annoying because I have a tendency to slump when listening to music, and these things just got in my way alot, knocking off my shoulder and such.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,335 of 3,047
Anyone have a suggestion for a portable/semi portable amp for these? I'm thinking iBasso d-zero, FiiO e10, maybe Fiio e17 if I can be convinced it's worth the extra $60 or so

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #2,337 of 3,047
They sound fantastic balanced from a SR71-B

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #2,338 of 3,047
Hi all,

Been using these for about a year now? with an iBasso D6.. still loving them  :)
Question: Am thinking of upgrading to a DAC... Benchmark DAC 1 may be...
My question, is basically will the FA-003's then be the weak link in the system or will it just make them shine more!?
Would be interested who has tried them with what and in comparison to more expensive headphones?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,339 of 3,047
has anyone ever thought of removing all the felt/fiber material that is covering the spaces around the driver.  I'm referring to the white visible fiber that covers the holes around the driver when you twist the cups off.  They may just be dust protectors.  Removing them might make the sound more open?

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2,340 of 3,047
Quote:
has anyone ever thought of removing all the felt/fiber material that is covering the spaces around the driver.  I'm referring to the white visible fiber that covers the holes around the driver when you twist the cups off.  They may just be dust protectors.  Removing them might make the sound more open?

I wouldn't mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back