Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jan 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,281 of 3,047
I think that a good IEM would isolate sounds better than some of the closed headphones. I think you are going to hear some of the airplane and the train sounds.

I agree. A good well fitted iem will isolate better than FA-003. If I read Tylls charts correctly some lower frequencies are actually amplified by the FA-003 so louder with it on than off. That said nothing but active noise cancelling will be really effective against airplane engine hum

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,282 of 3,047
^ Thanks John. I agree with you IEMs isolate better. On my flights, my Westone ES3Xs or Sleek SA6 isolate very well. However, I just do not like wearing IEMs for longer than  2 hrs.

I guess I can tolerate some engine noise, as long as it can be drown by music from FA-003s. Just trying to see if there are some isolating full size cans that are known to work well on air plane flights.

I know Ultrasone Edition 8s isolate very well, but I am not paying that much. AKG K550s look like they isolate well too. But I think FA-003s or Shure 840s are better value.

Edit: Thanks nc8000. So FA-003 may amplify the engine noise? hmm.....

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,283 of 3,047
Edition8 isolates at lot better than FA-003, it's probably the best isolating can I have owned but a lot more expensive

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,285 of 3,047
From personal experience Edition8 isolated a lot better than FA-003 from external noise

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,288 of 3,047
[size=medium]I have the Shure 940 which is my latest headphone and I did a quick test on it and compared it with my FA-003 with wood cups. I heard my speaking voice a bit less with the Shure. Since I do not have the 840 I cannot give a straight answer on SQ. The fa-003 is a bit warmer than the 940 which I heard is a bit brighter than the 840.  The 940 has a very analyzing type of sound which will made poor recording sound even worst.  [/size]

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,289 of 3,047
Thanks a lot for helping me, John.
I read about 840 vs 003 a bit before and think I would like the open and neutral sound of 003 more, which is why I am asking here in stead of at the shure thread. People say 840s isolate quite well. I have a gut feeling that 840s and 003s should both clamp quite a bit on my big head. In view of the clamping, and looking at the thick pads of 003s, I guess they should be decent isolator?

Anyway, I am not expecting great sound on a plane with sub 200 usd cans, just want something decent and isolating. i am only buying 003 or 840 as flight cans, because my other needs are well met by other headphones /IEMs that I have owned.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,290 of 3,047

I think that's right.  I don't think they've done anything to the FA-003 since they're selling just about as many as they can ship and so long as that is the case there's no need to change anything.  What they're doing is also offering enhancements like wood cups, dampeners, etc. as well as somehow different tuning on the "High Edition" model (separate product, I'm guessing an attempt to optimize the sound signature for their wood cups) to add some value, which is great.

On the other hand, (trying to state this carefully) if you're just looking for the CD-880 model (it seems Yoga has stumbled onto a home run in this case), it would seem you can get that from Fischer - with their cool logo plate on the side - as well as from other resellers that haven't modified the original model aside from branding.  I believe that Brainwavz are one such reseller, and there may be others that offer a better price/availability depending on where you're ordering from.  So far it seems that Fischer is offering the most in terms of value-add opportunity.

No need to offer better deals if the FA-003 has additional high-edition tuning compared to the other Yoga CD-880's on the market, right? If the FA-003 are different from the Brainwavz HM5 and other CD-880 rebrands you don't have to worry about any competition since they aren't the same headphone anymore. But only if they indeed sound better because of the FA-tuning.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,291 of 3,047

Quote:
[size=medium]I have the Shure 940 which is my latest headphone and I did a quick test on it and compared it with my FA-003 with wood cups. I heard my speaking voice a bit less with the Shure. Since I do not have the 840 I cannot give a straight answer on SQ. The fa-003 is a bit warmer than the 940 which I heard is a bit brighter than the 840.  The 940 has a very analyzing type of sound which will made poor recording sound even worst.  [/size]

Could you elaborate more on their similarities and difference? Such as:

- is the 003 more full bodied in the midrange than the 940?
- does the 003 has more bass than the 940?
- does the 003 has less treble than the 940?
- I think I can assume that the 003 is more forgiving on bad recordings than the 940. But from the grand scheme of things, is it a forgiving headphone?
- Can you compare it to other headphones such as HD650, HD600, DT880, K701 and others in this league.

I have heard the 940 and like it, I also have heard those headphones that I mentioned. But I have no way of trying the 003.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,292 of 3,047

Quote:
Could you elaborate more on their similarities and difference? Such as:

- is the 003 more full bodied in the midrange than the 940?
The 003 is a bit more mellow fuller sounding can than the 940
- does the 003 has more bass than the 940?
The 003 seems to have a bit of a dip at 300Hz otherwise it seem similar to the 940.
The 003 is a bit more mellow and would make the bass more noticeable that the 940. However, I do like the 940 not making the males voices not too husky.  
My Beyer T70 has far better sub bass than either of the two.
- does the 003 has less treble than the 940?
The 003 treble has a dip and the 940 has a treble peak that can be a bit strong on some recordings. The 003 treble dip does makes the treble slightly a bit disconnected from the midrange.
- I think I can assume that the 003 is more forgiving on bad recordings than the 940. But from the grand scheme of things, is it a forgiving headphone?
For complex dense music the 940 will bring out the details better or better separation of instruments than the 003. It depends on the quality of the recordings.
- Can you compare it to other headphones such as HD650, HD600, DT880, K701 and others in this league.
The above headphones are open cans and I would put my FA-003 woodies between HD600 and HD650 with quite of bit of soundstage.
I have heard the 940 and like it, I also have heard those headphones that I mentioned. But I have no way of trying the 003.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,293 of 3,047
jut my short opinions of how these sound. mine have had about 30 hours burn in so far. also own the ultrasone 780, RE0 and compulsory portapro's. can give detailed comparisons if requested.

i bought these last week, been using them solid since monday. so far, very pleased. i bought mine from LINDY in the uk for £77 inc  next day shipping (theres a discount code TENFB to get 10% off) but they should be identical to the fischer audio FA-003 and the brainwavz HM5. 

for me, they sound very similar to the sennheiser HD600, but with a bit less detail (still v.good level of detail). ive not had a huge amount of ear time with the HD600 but from what i remember they sounded very similar. to me, they both sound a little "dark", laid back and lacking in treble, but thats the sennheiser "house sound". if you like the HD600 but cant afford them or want a closed version these are a great buy.

i eq'ed them to personal taste a bit by reducing the 125-250 midbass hump slightly, adding a bit of 4khz treble and giving the 32hz sub bass a bit of a boost to reduce the roll off. the mid bass could do with being tighter but i think thats personal preference. 

rock and metal sounds great on these, DnB, Hip-Hop and dubstep could be improved with a bit more speed to the bass and acoustic sounds pretty good due to the fairly small amount of resonance within the headphone cups. vocals are nice and clear too, but a touch more treble would be nice just to make them a bit more intimate and bring you a bit closer to the stage. 

very comfy, with a good amount of clamp reducing the amount of pressure on your skull from the headband. nice and light weight too. 

the sound stage on these is impressive, just been playing COD and you can hear people across the map, behind walls etc, but the imaging makes it a little difficult to pinpoint them on such a large stage. its just not quite as accurate as i would like, my ultrasone 780's having the more precise (but smaller) soundstage. 

all in all, these are great for the money. for a quarter of the cost of the HD600 you can get a closed, easy to power portable headphone that has very similar sound characteristics, albeit a bit less detailed.
they do benefit from an amplifier, but still sound exceptional from any half decent source. 8.5/10

anyone agree/disagree? 

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,295 of 3,047

Quote:
jut my short opinions of how these sound. mine have had about 30 hours burn in so far. also own the ultrasone 780, RE0 and compulsory portapro's. can give detailed comparisons if requested.

i bought these last week, been using them solid since monday. so far, very pleased. i bought mine from LINDY in the uk for £77 inc  next day shipping (theres a discount code TENFB to get 10% off) but they should be identical to the fischer audio FA-003 and the brainwavz HM5. 

for me, they sound very similar to the sennheiser HD600, but with a bit less detail (still v.good level of detail). ive not had a huge amount of ear time with the HD600 but from what i remember they sounded very similar. to me, they both sound a little "dark", laid back and lacking in treble, but thats the sennheiser "house sound". if you like the HD600 but cant afford them or want a closed version these are a great buy.

i eq'ed them to personal taste a bit by reducing the 125-250 midbass hump slightly, adding a bit of 4khz treble and giving the 32hz sub bass a bit of a boost to reduce the roll off. the mid bass could do with being tighter but i think thats personal preference. 

rock and metal sounds great on these, DnB, Hip-Hop and dubstep could be improved with a bit more speed to the bass and acoustic sounds pretty good due to the fairly small amount of resonance within the headphone cups. vocals are nice and clear too, but a touch more treble would be nice just to make them a bit more intimate and bring you a bit closer to the stage. 

very comfy, with a good amount of clamp reducing the amount of pressure on your skull from the headband. nice and light weight too. 

the sound stage on these is impressive, just been playing COD and you can hear people across the map, behind walls etc, but the imaging makes it a little difficult to pinpoint them on such a large stage. its just not quite as accurate as i would like, my ultrasone 780's having the more precise (but smaller) soundstage. 

all in all, these are great for the money. for a quarter of the cost of the HD600 you can get a closed, easy to power portable headphone that has very similar sound characteristics, albeit a bit less detailed.
they do benefit from an amplifier, but still sound exceptional from any half decent source. 8.5/10

anyone agree/disagree? 

I have the HM5 and Senn' HD580/600 and must say your description of the Lindy sounds pretty much like my HM5. IF you would feel so inclined, could you post some pictures of the drivers? We could try and compare them to see what's up. Some RMAA's would be helpful too! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back