Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #2,131 of 3,047
Yes, actually powering E10 through USB port is the ONLY way to power it, since it work as bot DAC and Amplifier. So if you plan to use them on the go (plugin them to your S9), you should put your eye to other portable DAC/Amp (like ibasso D Zerro or FiiO E7). E10 is small, but it can NOT work without plugin it to USB since it doesn't have battery.

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking about it! It can be powered only through USB right?

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,133 of 3,047
Nov 13, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,134 of 3,047
Quote:
Yes, actually powering E10 through USB port is the ONLY way to power it, since it work as bot DAC and Amplifier. So if you plan to use them on the go (plugin them to your S9), you should put your eye to other portable DAC/Amp (like ibasso D Zerro or FiiO E7). E10 is small, but it can NOT work without plugin it to USB since it doesn't have battery.

Thanks for clarifying! Now that I've read a bit more about it, I've found it out as well...

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #2,135 of 3,047
I've just ordered one from Frogbeats! As I'm from the UK I will probably receive it on Tuesday or Wednesday by latest as they managed to get me the DUNU Tridents in less than 48 hours!

Their customer service is second to none! They also do free delivery on all orders to the UK now it seems, when I ordered my DUNU Tridents less than 2 weeks ago (IIRC) I still had to pay postage. It seems they're rapidly gaining a place in the UK and Europe as well as worldwide for the rarer OEM designers like Vsonic and FA.

I'm no audiophile though but I'll post short initial impressions as well as impressions after some burn in.

I notice most of you say it's very comfortable, did any of you put it around a set of books to loosen them up at all?

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2,136 of 3,047
I have to add to that as well. Excellent customer service from Frogbeats. Quick replies (<15min) even on sundays. I would definitely do business with them again. 

And also, the FA-003 are incredible cans, regardless of price. But I ended up selling them, because I liked the KNS8400 a bit more. Both excell really with any material: music flows naturally and is easy to follow. Comfort was good: the clamp took away pressure from the top of your head. Were they looser, it would start hurting on the top sooner. But they are light, so not anytime soon after putting them on.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,138 of 3,047
GD-Audiobase Im sure, Bugden is out of stock and theyre the only other online store that ships to Canada. Dunno what the shipping is but its 155 for the FA-003's right now, and if you sign up for the newsletter thing they give you a 5% coupon code.

Forgot Frogbeats ships worldwide I believe, but dont know if its cheaper there or not. Would definitely get there a lot quicker, thats for sure.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2,142 of 3,047

Funny story: My FA-002w shipped from Russia 21 of Oct. I get a text from my roommate at 3 yesterday saying I missed a package and it's at the post office. I leave for work early, race home, get the delivery note, go to the post office and the guy tells me that my package is still out for delivery but should be back by the time they close at 5.. Why headphones? Why??
I go sit in my car and wait and when I go back at 5 he says they're still not back, but he's a nice guy so he tells me to wait in the lobby and he'll try to get it to me asap. After 10 minutes or so he opens the window, and I feel all the waiting of the past ~4 weeks culminating as I'm about to see the box that contains my first nice headphones. He smiles at me (I had told him the package was very important to me) and turns around and presents the package..... a large paper thin envelope, a return to sender from the last tenant where I just moved in last month.. 
My soul was temporarily shattered, but the masochist in me kicked in a second later and I just found it all amusing. These headphones are such a tease.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #2,143 of 3,047
The only stores that sell this seem to be online stores. I'd like to be able to try them on before I buy them for fitting and style purposes. Is there any way I can do that?   Also, is an amp reccomended for these? If so, what is a good one to get for an iPod (not desktop!) Thanks so much!

Edit: also, I know you all have said that this headphone is good for classical, but how about really large symphonic works? I am going to be listening to mainly classical, and from what I have read here it will be good with solo instruments (piano, violin), but I am wondering how it does with soundstage.  Could it bring out a Mahler Symphony as well as a set of open cans? 

I'm new to hi-fi headphones, excuse the n00bishness

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2,145 of 3,047
hey guys, I'm new here and I just got the FA-003 :)
anyways, I'm looking for an amp for this headphone. I'm currently using Xonar DX and I feel that I need a little more oomph.

Thing is, i'm thinking of having this route, Xonar DX -> optical out -> amp/dac (suggest one for me) -> FA-003
Or should I just get a usb dac amp? i.e Audinst

Users who are viewing this thread

Back