Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Oct 29, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #2,101 of 3,047
That's some really good information, thanks.

With regard to the FA-011 and HD650, I may have erroneously inferred something from the comparisons, I've been through a lot of posts!

You make the FA-004, 6 and 3 sound similar. Could you elaborate on the differences please? It appears as though the FA-004 and FA-006 occupy the same segment in the range. I also assume that the FA-003 is a step up despite the signature similarities? For your money, is the FA-003 worth twice as much?

At the moment, I'd find it difficult to chose between the FA-004 and FA-006, I need to research a bit more. I'm tempted to make that a non-issue and go for the FA-003!

It seems finding a comparison with studio Beyers is not going to be easy, I may have to shelve that idea for now. If the Fischers have the sound I want, I think they'll win out in the comfort stakes, so the Beyers will have to wait.

Edit:
After some reviewing of the FA-004 and FA-011 threads, here's what I've taken away. Feel free to correct me.
FA-004: not transparent enough, bass may be a little muddy. Very difficult for me to assess whether these will be too bassy for me.
FA-011: released as a replacement for FA-004? tightens and deepens bass of FA-004. The sound comparison started with HD650, which is where I got the impression that they sounded similar. It now seems FA-011 has a lot more bass? Quite a bit away from H650-like neutrality?

I'm more familiar with higher impedance headphones. Has anyone had any noise issues due to the low impedance and sensitivity combination?

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #2,102 of 3,047

Quote:
I had no luck in the 'advice' thread and I think this is most appropriate Fischer Audio thread as it's the one I'm currently leaning towards.

I've been considering either Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT100/150/250. I'm after broadly neutral and wanted this from the closed 'phones, or a slightly sweet sound (think a softening in female vocals) from the HD650.

So, can some one clarify the FA range and comparisons? Cheers.

i had the dt250 for the longest time, a decade , never tot of buying another can, then i heard the dt770/880/990....
its like a whole new world opened up to me...fresh air.. i wont touch the dt250 ever...watever it is called monitor or otherwise.

if u like broad...wide...neutral...type of presentation, like i do...then the dt770/600ohms is a good place to start.
with a good amp, listening to orchestra pieces is a treat.
the 003 has a narrower.....and i am going to say it again...hall-ish presentation... 
some love it, some sold it.
i did love the 003 for what it is, and i sold it. 
i love the dt770 for what it is, and i sold it LATER too..muchmuchmuch later....why....i am still investigating my psyche...lol.

deadhorse.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2,103 of 3,047
A few words about the 006.. I ordered them a couple of weeks ago from FrogBeats.. got them early last week.  Package contained the same, plush carrying case that the 003 has.. plus a singled-sided cable, 6.3mm adapter, and a pair of velour pads (aside from the leather ones that come on the phones).  I found them very comfortable as far as fit.

In terms of sound, I was reminded of the 003 in many ways.. kind of like its "little brother."  Refined, natural, detailed, smooth.  Like the 003, they are closed but sound surprisingly spacious & open.  It was a very slightly warmer sounding that the 003 but "natural sounding" is what comes to mind first & foremost.  Bottom line.. I LOVED how they sounded.

My only gripe with them.. was the fit.  More specifically, they didn't clamp tight enough.  The structural headband is "moldable"/flexible.. so you can tweak them to fit the shape of your head.. but I was unable to get a sustained, tight fit that was needed to get the most out of them.  Sadly, this was the reason had to return them.

Like I said earlier, they sounded wonderful, but a certain aspect of the fit was the downer.  I'll wait for LFF's review before commenting further cause he can articulate the sound much better than me.. but if you're a fan of the 003, you'll like the 006 very much, IMO.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #2,104 of 3,047
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any part of LFF's review on that guide. I still don't see how that guide (which I will admit is obviously sponsored), has anything to do with this one. Just because Fischer Audio sent him a sample to test doesn't mean that he was typically endorsed to write a glowing review about it.

Quote:
the review is in the guide

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,105 of 3,047

Quote:

My only gripe with them.. was the fit.  More specifically, they didn't clamp tight enough.  The structural headband is "moldable"/flexible.. so you can tweak them to fit the shape of your head.. but I was unable to get a sustained, tight fit that was needed to get the most out of them.  Sadly, this was the reason had to return them.

hi Flysweep...

The band looks like those AKG70x type, if thats the grib on the head , i am fine with it.....or is it d2000 loose?
....or worse...looooser than d2000??
blink.gif
 .....would the beyer  j$pads fit this 006shell?

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #2,106 of 3,047
hi Flysweep...

The band looks like those AKG70x type, if thats the grib on the head , i am fine with it.....or is it d2000 loose?
....or worse...looooser than d2000??
blink.gif
 .....would the beyer  j$pads fit this 006shell?

I haven't tried on the D2000 (only the D1001 I had for some time.. which were perfectly snug), so I can't compare the fit there.

I haven't seen the J-money pads but they look an awful lot like the Stax O2 pads (which I bought for the T50RP).  My O2 pads are with LFF as he's modding my T50RPs so I couldn't slap 'em on the 006 when I had them.. but.. I've got a feeling the O2 pads would be too big for the 006.  If the J$ pads are smaller in size than the O2 pads, they might work.

As far as grip.. it all depends on the head the phones will be resting on.. I don't think there's anything odd about the shape of my head (only what's inside 
tongue_smile.gif
).. but I had to squeeze the sides of the phones on my head to get the kind of seal most other phones provide.  David @ FrogBeats said they're designed to have a looser fit.. bit, IDK.. the fit just didn't do it for me.  I think you should take the plunge and order them from FrogBeats.  They give you 7 days to try out anything and even paid for my shipping back to them when I returned them.

Sucks cause, honestly, there were aspects of the 006's sound I liked even more than the 003!

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #2,107 of 3,047

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any part of LFF's review on that guide. I still don't see how that guide (which I will admit is obviously sponsored), has anything to do with this one. Just because Fischer Audio sent him a sample to test doesn't mean that he was typically endorsed to write a glowing review about it.

the review that was posted (link) is the same review which is in the guide which is sponsored by fischer audio
I wasnt referring to LFFs review

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2,108 of 3,047
alas.......alas.........i will need to order the O2 pads.
i just snaggged a T50rp. and i havent got a clue/glue on how to mod the paradox.
LFF is putting the wintersocks on your T50rp..???  i caught a glimpse of his paradox.
jecklinsmile.gif
floatsmile.png

=============================================================================================================
LFF's review on the 006 is out..http://www.head-fi.org/t/578046/review-fischer-audio-fa-006-baby-brother-to-the-fa-003-antithesis-to-the-beats

I suspect it will cannibalise the sale of 003, for those who prefer a wider sounding can with the same soundsig of the 003...LIKE ME!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2,109 of 3,047
Thanks to everyone for the updates.

@Lorspeaker, that info about the Beyers has definitely helped. I haven't heard the DTxx0 range but based on impressions and the DT931, I think they'd be brighter than I'm after. Don't know if that put the DT250 into context but I'm leaning towards the Fischer's over the Beyer studio range now.

Currently trying to decide between FA-003 and FA-006 (and maybe even Lindy). Now that the FA-006 thread is up, I'll be eagerly reading the impressions and comparisons.

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2,110 of 3,047
Well this "new" 006 seems interesting, but I still have no idea about what can it do better than the 003...wider soundstage maybe, but loose fit on the head....
Still waiting for the 003 though from Frogbeats, but I'm very happy with the purchase already...I'm paying only 98.80 GBP for them shipped
cool.gif

As it seems I'm going to get them on Monday, and hopefully it will live up to my expectations...
I only have my Turbine Pro Golds right now....I miss my M50 a bit, but luckily Monday is pretty close!

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2,111 of 3,047
I purchased a pair of headphones from GD audio base little about two weeks ago.. They shipped they day after much to my surprise. However, I sent them an email asking about a tracking number and have got no response.. anybody know if they normally give those out? Or is the arrival date going to be a complete surprise for me? I'm not really sure how long it takes to get packages from russia to the u.s. but I wouldn't think too long..

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2,113 of 3,047

Quote:
I purchased a pair of headphones from GD audio base little about two weeks ago.. They shipped they day after much to my surprise. However, I sent them an email asking about a tracking number and have got no response.. anybody know if they normally give those out? Or is the arrival date going to be a complete surprise for me? I'm not really sure how long it takes to get packages from Russia to the u.s. but I wouldn't think too long..

My experience in getting parts from Russia is almost three weeks. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,115 of 3,047
I'm just getting the light beech brown for now, I am still broke and in college. At least I know I have the option later to upgrade to better wood/whatever the name of the higher end model is, but when I do get them ill post some impressions compared to my K701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back