Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Oct 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2,086 of 3,047
I think I'm one of the few that has both in my possession. Two I know that had them..

What do you want to know specifically?

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,089 of 3,047

Quote:
Look what I've found:
http://www.avguide.com/review/fischer-audio-fa-002w-master-series-high-edition-headphones-playback-49
Review of the High Edition..
wink.gif

Waiting for LFF's!!! Though around $390 is too much for me, so probably I'll just buy the 003

If LFF rates the fa-002w high edition in a direction that I wanted for my next pair of headphones I do not know of a place that this selling the high edition 200ohm version at this time. I will be using the wonderful 2359glenn amp design for the headphones.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2,092 of 3,047
tks for the review. this phone gone be my upgrade phone , soon

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2,093 of 3,047
well got mine today...wont comment on the sound yet
the construction is pretty solid the "weak" part is the haeadband which doesnt stay completly in place after you adjust the position and moves pretty easily in other words there isnt the solid clik...
the comfort isnt bad was expecting a bit more after some users decribed it as very comfortable but definitly not bad
with leather pads gets a bit worm but nothing extreme

after burn-in will comment on sound: the first thing I noticed for now is the lack of body in the bass section with electronic music
lets hope it gets better

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,094 of 3,047

Quote:

after burn-in will comment on sound: the first thing I noticed for now is the lack of body in the bass section with electronic music
lets hope it gets better

If I remember well, Pianist wrote the same when he got them, but after burn-in the bass section (and everything else) became much better... These do need some burn-in, say 80-100hrs and then everything falls into place... (all based on reading this thread)

My m50 is gone, so I need to get new phones...I don't even know why I'm still hesitating on buying these...
blink.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,095 of 3,047
well all I can say for now is that if u are a basshead they probably arent for you
but if u arent a basshead but still want some nice bass when listening to electronic they will deliever enough
so for now no they do not lack in bass

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,096 of 3,047

Quote:
well all I can say for now is that if u are a basshead they probably arent for you
but if u arent a basshead but still want some nice bass when listening to electronic they will deliever enough
so for now no they do not lack in bass

Thanks!
Honestly a few times I though the m50 had a bit more bass then needed, but most of the time I was ok with that... my Monster Turbine Pro Gold truly has too much though what is not that appropriate with some genres for my ears..I really feel like trying to experience a true neutral sound...

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,097 of 3,047
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #2,099 of 3,047
I had no luck in the 'advice' thread and I think this is most appropriate Fischer Audio thread as it's the one I'm currently leaning towards.

I've been considering either Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT100/150/250. I'm after broadly neutral and wanted this from the closed 'phones, or a slightly sweet sound (think a softening in female vocals) from the HD650.

It seems that Fischer may provide an interesting (and hopefully cheaper!) alternative. As far as I can make out:

FA-003 neutral, FA-002 not quite as good, FA-002W slightly better than FA-003, FA-004 emphasized bass and treble, FA-011 sound signature similar to HD650, FA-006 ??

Given the price differential, although the FA-011 is being compared to the HD650, surely the FA-003 is superior but has a different signature? How does the FA-006 fit in?

In terms of which signature to go for, I think it comes down to how well the Fischer alternatives compare to the respective Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic 'phones (above). I'd really welcome thoughts on the latter as I've not seen anything yet. My understanding is that the DT150 is the most neutral of the three. Overall sound quality is at least as important as sound signature.

The only UK outlet I've found is frogbeats. I'd welcome thoughts on the price-value ratio based on their prices.

So, can some one clarify the FA range and comparisons? Cheers.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,100 of 3,047
FA-003 neutral, FA-002 not quite as good, FA-002W slightly better than FA-003, FA-004 emphasized bass and treble, FA-011 sound signature similar to HD650, FA-006 ??

Given the price differential, although the FA-011 is being compared to the HD650, surely the FA-003 is superior but has a different signature? How does the FA-006 fit in?

In terms of which signature to go for, I think it comes down to how well the Fischer alternatives compare to the respective Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic 'phones (above). I'd really welcome thoughts on the latter as I've not seen anything yet. My understanding is that the DT150 is the most neutral of the three. Overall sound quality is at least as important as sound signature.

The only UK outlet I've found is frogbeats. I'd welcome thoughts on the price-value ratio based on their prices.

So, can some one clarify the FA range and comparisons? Cheers.

I've listened to and/or owned every FA phone you mentioned.  The FA-002w are not "slightly better" than the 003.. it's more of a slightly different sound (more spacious, smoother sounding while the 003 possesses a smooth, (but relatively crisper) slightly forward sound).  Also, I'm under the assumption the 002w sound varies a fair bit based on the wood/steps used, so it's not accurate to peg all 002w's with a "particular sound."

The 003 is much close to the HD600 than the HD650 in terms of sound signature.  I've extensively A/B'd the 600 & the 003.. I found them very close in technicalities, but preferred the 003 sound more.  The big draw is that the 003 plays much better with unamped sources than the 600 does & despite the 003 being closed, it sounds impressively "open."  Being a closed phone affords the 003 more isolation and privacy vs. the "open" HD600.  As far as sound sig, they're very close.. the 003 sounded more musical to my ears, though.

The 011 sounds nothing like the HD650.. not sure where you heard that info.  The 011 is more colored and has a wide U shaped curve.. while the 650 has a warmer, more "natural" tinge.

The 004 does not have emphasized bass & treble.  The upper mids are slightly warmed up but it's more natural sounding than anything.. possessing mids that are quite balanced with the bass and treble.. rather  than the v-shaped curve you describe.  The 004 reminds me of the 003 in many ways.. albeit a little thicker & more colored sounding.  Same goes for the 006.. it's essentially the little brother of the 003.. a natural sounding, smooth, monitor-oriented phone that compares very favorably to the 003.  I got it this week from FB and really enjoyed the 006 sound.. an absolute fave in the under $100 market.. but it simply didn't clamp tight enough for me.. so I had to return it.  I had absolutely no qualms with the sound though.

I can't comment on the Beyers since I have not heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back