Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,711 of 3,047

Quote:
I just heard my FA-003s on the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA and several other tube amps.

What. Huge improvement over an already awesome phone!  If you like more warmth to your sound, consider a nice tube amp and the FA-003s bloom really well.  Soundstage and positioning also improves!

By the way... the FA-003s were called a "big surprise" by Vinnie of RWA, who said they were really nice for $200, amidst a room full of LCD-2s and HD800s :D

Hahaha I'd like to hear them through an amp too, but didn't get the chance to... yet.
Huge improvement? Mind to explain?
Do you think the FAs need amping?
Last question: is amping worth the price?

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,712 of 3,047
Do you think the FAs need amping?
Last question: is amping worth the price?

Need? No.  Like it and take noticeable advantage of it? Yes.

Worth the price? Depends on the amp.  I have the Arrow & MX-1.. the 003 sounds noticeably better through them both.  So in the case of those amps, yes.. they're worth the price.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,713 of 3,047

Quote:
Need? No.  Like it and take noticeable advantage of it? Yes.

Worth the price? Depends on the amp.  I have the Arrow & MX-1.. the 003 sounds noticeably better through them both.  So in the case of those amps, yes.. they're worth the price.

Let's say that it must be noticeable, else it wouldn't be worth it,... right? =)
How much noticeable

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #1,714 of 3,047
Catching up on the FA happenings at their FB site.. it looks like they're going to be unveiling a new, official, WORLDWIDE store (yay!).. I've always assumed GD-Audiobase was their storefront but it looks like this might be something different.

Also, they will be releasing a FA-003 revision.. not sure what's there to revise, honestly.. it's a pretty **** good phone as is.  Considering it's a revision & not a full blown upgrade (which might warrant a new model #), my wallet is safe... for now.

I'd love for the FA folks to chime in & let us know what the next big Master series phone is going to be.. LFF, you seem to have the inside track on them.. can you drop us any hints?

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,715 of 3,047
Hey guys. I've noticed something with my FA-002w-LBR. Sometimes I'm too lazy to put them on while watching youtube, etc, so I crank up the volume and use them as speakers. They get pretty loud. And later when I put them on for some music pleasure, I hear an improvement... Sound got clearer, and more pleasant and just.... I don't know, better. I don't think it's placebo this time.... So if you are about to sell them, I'd give them this express-burn in and then listen again. And no, my headphones did not get damaged after this.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,716 of 3,047
Haha! Well I know for one thing these FA-003s get a lot livelier when the volume goes from medium to just a tad more than medium volume... and it's not a "durr that's cause it's louder" kind of thing.

But I think I'll try that out.  How many hours did your FA-003 have in the first place?

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,717 of 3,047
Hi all.
I'm looking for to buy the Fischer Audio FA-003 but i'm not sure to buy it because normally i don't like "closed headphones" sound but for what i have readed on this post the FA-003 sounds more like an "open headphone" than a closed one; so i need someone who can tell me the most differences betwen the FA-003 and the FA-002 versions. Are they very different signature or sound very similar one to other?? someone can tell me what version it's better?
I can't found stock of the FA-003 on my country and internet shops but i have found a shop with the FA-002 at good price but i wanna be sure to buy the better option about both headphones. Need your advices, it's better to wait to the stock of FA-003 or buy directly the FA-002 version??
Thanks for the responses, regards.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,718 of 3,047

Quote:
By the way... the FA-003s were called a "big surprise" by Vinnie of RWA, who said they were really nice for $200, amidst a room full of LCD-2s and HD800s :D

Same thing happened with Craig Uthus from Eddie Current. He really liked the FA-003, so much so, I let him borrow them. This was also in a room full of LCD-2's v. 1 and v. 2, HD-800's and other high end headphones.

Quote:
 LFF, you seem to have the inside track on them.. can you drop us any hints?

I have not heard a single thing.

Quote:
Hi all.
I'm looking for to buy the Fischer Audio FA-003 but i'm not sure to buy it because normally i don't like "closed headphones" sound but for what i have readed on this post the FA-003 sounds more like an "open headphone" than a closed one; so i need someone who can tell me the most differences betwen the FA-003 and the FA-002 versions. Are they very different signature or sound very similar one to other?? someone can tell me what version it's better?
I can't found stock of the FA-003 on my country and internet shops but i have found a shop with the FA-002 at good price but i wanna be sure to buy the better option about both headphones. Need your advices, it's better to wait to the stock of FA-003 or buy directly the FA-002 version??
Thanks for the responses, regards.

They are very different sounding. The FA-003 sounds like an open headphone and the FA-002 sounds like a closed headphone. Ironic...I know. I much prefer the sound of the FA-003 to the FA-002. You could always buy the FA-002 and replace the open cups with wooden cups.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,719 of 3,047

Quote:
They are very different sounding. The FA-003 sounds like an open headphone and the FA-002 sounds like a closed headphone. Ironic...I know. I much prefer the sound of the FA-003 to the FA-002. You could always buy the FA-002 and replace the open cups with wooden cups.

Thanks for the response, i'm starting to think i must wait for the stock of FA-003 on GD Audiobase... maybe must to write an email to see dates... thats happends to powersellers :) hehehe

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,720 of 3,047

Quote:
Haha! Well I know for one thing these FA-003s get a lot livelier when the volume goes from medium to just a tad more than medium volume... and it's not a "durr that's cause it's louder" kind of thing.

But I think I'll try that out.  How many hours did your FA-003 have in the first place?

Well, it's hard to tell. But it should be over 500 hours. I have them since february 2011 and listen almost every day. I'm eager to get home from work and put them on. Something really happened to them...

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #1,721 of 3,047
Well, it's hard to tell. But it should be over 500 hours. I have them since february 2011 and listen almost every day. I'm eager to get home from work and put them on. Something really happened to them...

Interesting.. I've had mine for longer but haven't noticed any significant change since the ~200 hour mark.  Eimis, you've recabled your 003/002w too, right?  Could that be something to do with it? 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,722 of 3,047

Quote:
Interesting.. I've had mine for longer but haven't noticed any significant change since the ~200 hour mark.  Eimis, you've recabled your 003/002w too, right?  Could that be something to do with it? 

Yes, they are recabled, even though I have mixed feelings about headphone recabling....
But 002w really have improved recently. Yesterday I listened to Bjork and Pink Floyd The Wall -- it's music that I know quite well and it sounded more 'alive' and dynamic. That kind of cotton-wool layer between me and music disappeard.

Those 500 hours might not be accurate, because I'm having trouble keeping the count.

Or, something happened to my ears and I'm just wasting your time. I'm sorry 
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #1,723 of 3,047

Quote:

Yesterday I listened to Bjork and Pink Floyd The Wall -- it's music that I know quite well and it sounded more 'alive' and dynamic. That kind of cotton-wool layer between me and music disappeard.

You should hear my version of The Wall or Animals on the FA-002w or FA-003. Really awesome.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #1,724 of 3,047
You should hear my version of The Wall or Animals on the FA-002w or FA-003. Really awesome.

Umm, what do you mean? MFSL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back