Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,636 of 3,047
Is there a post around here comparing 002w cups for these? Did anyone actually buy a bunch of cups to compare?
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2 

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,637 of 3,047
Would just like to note again how much I love these cans... ESPECIALLY with music that is well-recorded, and isn't dynamically compressed.  The detail and the natural imaging these things give is simply amazing.  It's really just me and the music.

I found a good track to show off how capable these cans are: Electronic Demo Track

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,638 of 3,047

Quote:
Would just like to note again how much I love these cans... ESPECIALLY with music that is well-recorded, and isn't dynamically compressed.  The detail and the natural imaging these things give is simply amazing.  It's really just me and the music.

I found a good track to show off how capable these cans are: Electronic Demo Track

Did you just link a compressed file to showcase uncompressed dynamics?  Just sayin.....
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,639 of 3,047
well, that demo was more for the FR extension and clean tones they produce XD but good point hahaha.
I think the Chesky CD's Visceral Response track gives a good impression of how dynamic these are (when I listened to that track I was just like THESE DRUMS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD), as well as a lot of well-recorded orchestral stuff.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,640 of 3,047

Quote:

As a newbie, FA-003 made me notice and care about recording and mastering quality.  I am not sure this is a good thing or not :)  they made me start listening to Diana Krall and Dave Matthews Band and whatever else I see as cited as good quality recordings at Head-fi, just because they sound so great with those music. on the other hand, you can notice something is wrong with bad quality recordings with them, and those constitute a big bulk of my existing collection. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #1,641 of 3,047
I have some questions regarding the FA-003:

a. Did anyone try the (unmodified/modified) FA-003 with a MF X-Can v3 (stock/6N1P-EB tubes)? If so, what are your impressions?

b. Especially @LFF: I know that mastering with headphones is a bit of a no-no but I sometimes have to do it (partially) that way. In your review you wrote:
LFF said:
 These are mastering grade headphones and I wouldn’t hesitate for one second to recommend them for such critical sound applications.
So my questions are: Did you ever use the FA-003 for mastering? In which way? Did they prove useful?

Cheers

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,643 of 3,047
So! lets dive into this thread! 110 pages, but I have the whole night
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty much torn between the FA-003 and the 011, but somehow I feel this would be better for me...

I mentioned this earlier.. but one phone is open (FA-011), one phone is closed (FA-003).. if you're torn between the two, the environment you use them can be a helpful determining factor.. also, the 003 is much more portable DAP friendly.. the 011 really require an amp to shine.. so, taking into account an open design (sound leaks in & out) & power requirements to get a good sound, the 003 is the better choice if you're on the go or don't have an amp.

Owning both, I would go with the 003 if I had to choose.. I find them a little more versatile and accurate.. I also love that my iPhone 4 can drive the 003 quite well.  The 011 is an excellent change of pace, fun phone that doesn't leave my living room.. it strictly made for home use, imo.  I wouldn't give up my 011 either.. having both the 003 & 011, as LFF said.. you're pretty much covered for a lot of types of music.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #1,644 of 3,047

Quote:
I mentioned this earlier.. but one phone is open (FA-011), one phone is closed (FA-003).. if you're torn between the two, the environment you use them can be a helpful determining factor.. also, the 003 is much more portable DAP friendly.. the 011 really require an amp to shine.. so, taking into account an open design (sound leaks in & out) & power requirements to get a good sound, the 003 is the better choice if you're on the go or don't have an amp.

Owning both, I would go with the 003 if I had to choose.. I find them a little more versatile and accurate.. I also love that my iPhone 4 can drive the 003 quite well.  The 011 is an excellent change of pace, fun phone that doesn't leave my living room.. it strictly made for home use, imo.  I wouldn't give up my 011 either.. having both the 003 & 011, as LFF said.. you're pretty much covered for a lot of types of music.

Thanks FlySweep!
I'd only use these at home...I don't like using my M50 on the go and it is more portable then these....I prefer IEMs for this purpose
I haven't heard an open hp yet, so its a bit more tempting, but not a must (as I know the general opinion is that open phones are better for listening, enjoying music...this is what keeps getting me back to the 011)...AND the 003 has a great open sound as well...(I know, not the same feeling...)
I can't get an amp at the same time with the phones, but I'm going to get one (~$100)...

There would be around $60 difference between the two phones, what I'm about to pay if the 003 is better...

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,646 of 3,047

Quote:
I have some questions regarding the FA-003:

a. Did anyone try the (unmodified/modified) FA-003 with a MF X-Can v3 (stock/6N1P-EB tubes)? If so, what are your impressions?

b. Especially @LFF: I know that mastering with headphones is a bit of a no-no but I sometimes have to do it (partially) that way. In your review you wrote:

Quote:
LFF said:
These are mastering grade headphones and I wouldn’t hesitate for one second to recommend them for such critical sound applications.

So my questions are: Did you ever use the FA-003 for mastering? In which way? Did they prove useful?

Cheers

A) I haven't tried the FA-003's with that amp in particular but I can tell you that the FA-003's sing with tubes. I have heard them on vintage receivers, on the Schitt amps as well as a few others. Tubes really bring out the midrange goodness on these.

B) Mastering strictly with headphones is a big no-no IMHO because you can't accurately verify some things like soundstage and other such matters which only speakers can provide. However, headphones, especially neutral headphones, are an excellent addition to the mastering process and one tool which I have come to heavily rely on.

Do I use the FA-003 for mastering?
Yes, I use them almost daily for double checking my final masters and always use them during any restoration project.

In which way?
I do a lot of restoration work. This involves selectively removing noises and other distractions without affecting the main part of the audio, be it music or dialogue. This is where headphones really come in handy for me. How? Pick up any Norberg Sinatra re-issue on the Capitol label. Play it on normal speakers and most people will tell you it sounds great. People with golden ears will tell you it sounds bad when heard on a good system. However, play them on headphones and it becomes apparent to a vast majority of people just how much life has been sucked out of the recordings. Headphones tend to magnify problematic areas on recordings (if you know what to listen for) and I find the FA-003's perfect for listening for these flaws. Sometimes a speaker will not resolve a faint tick or a slight warble but it will be apparent on the FA-003's. Also, a lot of mixes are sometimes either spaced out too much or not enough and you can't always rely exclusively on speakers, especially if you are working at another studio and are not intimately familiar with the room and set-up. I always double check adjustments on my FA-003's. Why the FA-003's and not the HP-2's or HiFiMan HE500's? The HP-2's are too uncomfortable for extended listening and I don't own a pair of HE-500's yet. However, if I did have a pair of HE-500's, I wouldn't take them outside of my studio. If my FA-003's are lost at another studio, I wouldn't be out too much in $$ and they can be immediately replaced.

Do they prove useful?
I use them almost daily, especially during restoration work. I have noticed that when I master something on my speaker rigs first and do the final go-around with the FA-003's, I get a final master that will sound great on 80% of the stuff I play it on, regardless of hi-fi level, and will sound absolutely amazing on the other 20%. Excluding personal preferences from clients (ie, make it louder), I have never received a master back due to a failure to remove a noise or low level feedback or space monkeys or any other noise problem. When called in by friends to double check, the FA-003's make it immediately apparent to me when someone has applied too much noise reduction or when there is any sort of noise issue which needs to be addressed. Due to their neutral flavor, it also become readily apparent when there is too much bass or not enough mid-range or too much high-end, etc etc.

I hope those answers help. Like I said, I would never master exclusively on headphones, but the FA-003's in particular, have become an essential workhorse for me and I highly recommended them for mastering due to their affordable price, sonic signature and overall comfort and performance level. I still do.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #1,647 of 3,047
So, for the last "few" hours I was just reading and reading, but I could only get through the first ~70 pages and a few recent pages...and my head hurts a bit so I finish it for now....

I see no reasons against the 003, and the wood cups got my attention as well...only the cheapest version though.
One question about that (for now): If I order the 002w, can I ask them to include the cups of the 003 instead of the stock 002's? So this way I could get a 003 with wood cups?
As I can see (re-)dampening the stock cups could work better...

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,648 of 3,047
well, I am one of the people who redampened my stock cups with dynamat, but some posters have said me and FlySweep did it wrong.  So if you order FA003s, I think you should try and order the leather dampers that Fischer Audio makes for 10$ as well, and post some comparison impressions.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,649 of 3,047

Quote:
well, I am one of the people who redampened my stock cups with dynamat, but some posters have said me and FlySweep did it wrong.  So if you order FA003s, I think you should try and order the leather dampers that Fischer Audio makes for 10$ as well, and post some comparison impressions.

Well, you didn't do it wrong.  You just need to add foam to kill back wave resonances from the foil backing or at least remove it.  Plus I was just saying you used more material than necessary is all.  Some apparently think you need to drown an entire structure in dynamat to completely eliminate vibration.  

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,650 of 3,047
I'll be reattaching the foam on top of the dynamat lined cups soon.. first, I plan on hitting up the local fabric shop to get some leather cutouts (using the foam dampers as a stencil) instead of waiting for the leather dampers from GD-A.. who hasn't had them in stock for many months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back