Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jun 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,621 of 3,047
My FA-003 finally arrived this morning. I had some concerns given all the hype, and how difficult these were to obtain, and the fact that I didn't purchase them through the usual channels. I steeled myself for a letdown. I have to say, these are very nice. Their presentation is pretty honest and accurate, and it covers the whole frequency range well. The soundstage really caught me off guard. I was very surprised at how open they sound. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are also quite good, without anything that in the presentation that feels artificial. I'll have to do more listening to better articulate what I'm hearing. Not that I'm complaining about that. I look forward to putting these through their paces. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,622 of 3,047
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here.

I will be visiting Melbourne next week so I wonder if any guys down under would like to meet up to try out the FA-003, DBA02, Eterna and any other models?

Drop me a message if any is interested.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,624 of 3,047

Quote:
I did a short A/B with the FA-003 and HD600 before I sold the FA-003. I think they were both good just with slightly different presentations but still more similar than different.

between the z1000 and 003, i would sell the z1000;
between the 003 and k702, i would sell the 003,
between the k702 and hd600, i would sell the k702; 
between the hd600 and DT770, i would keep both.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #1,625 of 3,047

Quote:
I got my pair of FA003s today from spaceconvoy, as a upgrade/sidegrade from the HD558s.

AWESOME cans!!  I think neutral really is a great way to describe them; that's how they sound to my ears.  The HD558s were excellent but they had a warm kind of coloration, which was great for acoustic music, but made me want a little more out of bands and thicker rock mixes and such because they sound just a tad congested.

I went through the HD555 which had a warm midrange, and the M50, which had a scooped midrange, and I ended up wanting something that fused their sound signature and combined the strengths of both.
HD555: Great soundstage, good on acoustic and classical because of their warmth.
M50: Great bass, great for bands and pop and rock.

The last cans I owned were the HD558.  Coming from them, I notice these differences:
- Faster!  These things have a lot of speed and control.  I am listening to Vivaldi, and wow, the super quick violin passages sound so effortless, yet so well textured.
- On that note, more detailed.  I listened to a Rachmaninoff Prelude I'm pretty familiar with, and suddenly I hear all these subtle nuances associated with the sound of the piano... hard to explain but the piano just sounds more like a piano than I've heard in my past headphones, partly from the neutrality, and partly because of the detail in each note.
- Very well-controlled bass.  Not as prominent as I expected, but notes are very distinct and tightly controlled overall.  Good sub bass too, but it doesn't dominate the song! very nice.
- BALANCED across the spectrum!  As I'm listening to well-mastered pop and rock, I really feel that the accompaniment, guitars, bass, and the vocals, as well as the drums, are all equally present, yet not at all competing for attention.  The whole song is shining, and not just vocals, or the bass, or the cymbals.
- Electric guitars are crunchy and I love it.  Vocals sound more human because of the detail.
- Soundstage and separation is very nice.  I think the HD558s did it just a little better being open cans but I don't miss it at all with the FA003s.

I really have yet to find a well-mastered song that sounds bad on these.  Every song just sounds so right, which from my experience means the cans I'm using are very neutral.  I can hear what people mean when they say there is a mid treble peak, but it doesn't bother me.

Best purchase I've made.  Now listening to "Gentle Breeze" by Sneaker Bird.  Never knew how well this song was mastered until I put these on!

Were they this way to you out of the box? I am having problems with the upper midrange peak these things have.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,627 of 3,047
do you think speaker fiberfill can also do the trick since what its supposed to do is make the sound feel like its in a bigger enclosure like what the wood cups woul do?

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,628 of 3,047
I haven't tried it with the 003 but did with the D1001.. didn't really notice much of a difference on it though.  I don't think there is enough space in the 003's cup chamber for fiberloft to make an impact, honestly.. give it a shot and let us know though!

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,629 of 3,047
I gave it a shot. There is a little difference in the definition of the bass and it becomes slightly more damped but the upper mids are still too forward around 2 to 3khz

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,630 of 3,047
So I finally tried the velour pads, and while they were comfy, they definitely reduced the fullness of the sound.  I wasn't sure until I switched back to compare.  The sound is more hollow with the velours imo.  Don't know if anyone cares at this point, just my $0.02!

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,631 of 3,047
I agree that the sound gets hollower with the velours. I think this is due to the fact that  they are deeper making the ears get further away from the drivers. The material itself though isn't really velour so far as the acoustic properties are concerned because the space from the drivers to the ears are covered with some kind of pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back