Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
May 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,561 of 3,047
I think that the real issue that I forget and come back to is that the FAs are closed headphones, which is a big plus in my situation. The sound leakage makes me have to wait until it's late and nobody is in the room. The FAs are the perfect solution for me as I can listen whenever I want and create an intimate setting - even with 2 kids running about. If I start opening doors again to other cans, it will likely dilute the enjoyment factor of these anyway. I can tell they aren't perfect, but the flaws to me are minimal. These present an entry/window into what a really good presentation of sound should be IMO - the characteristics are there.

The build quality is probably the only knock on these - particularly the "frame". They look good, but the wood cups weigh down the frame a bit, so I am careful when I handle them. 

Funny to see how these got to FOTM status, then started getting knocked for their flaws (exposed!, not giant killers, are they as good as can "y", I knew these werent going to be what everyone said they were! - not exact quotes), now are leveling out to be known for what they really are. Not as good as the best ever, but still good for the price. In fact, I still think they are very good for the price. I just hope people read through it all and can still come to the conclusion that they are good headphones, so they can be experienced.

If you come with realistic expectations, and these fit your basic needs coming into it, I think that they will please. However, this is such a subjective hobby - it's good to remember that ones favorite is another's most disliked. You may need to try until you find what you want - like many are right now.

I just peeked over in the LCD-2 thread...people debating possible "flaws", just like everything else! That's the danger in the glowing initial review, you have to take it in the right context.

Sorry, I just felt the need to bring the thread back to review the FAs for a moment, to present them for what I believe they really are. I think this is just closure for me, as I have what I need at this point and these have been reviewed enough.

Back to the 598 vs FA003 shootout to come!

May 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,562 of 3,047
I still consider the FA-003 very good. It's just that I would rather use the funds to purchase an amp since I've spent a bit much on headphones lately. I'm actually looking forward to the HD600 and see how they compare since I've always wondered how they compared.

I'm still a bit on the fence with selling the FA-003 but I'll see what happens if there's any interest. I do think they will do quite good however since as of right now I do consider the FA-003 better than the K601 level.

May 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,563 of 3,047

Quote:
I still consider the FA-003 very good. It's just that I would rather use the funds to purchase an amp since I've spent a bit much on headphones lately. I'm actually looking forward to the HD600 and see how they compare since I've always wondered how they compared.

I'm still a bit on the fence with selling the FA-003 but I'll see what happens if there's any interest. I do think they will do quite good however since as of right now I do consider the FA-003 better than the K601 level.

Completely understandable to go for improvement of other equipment in your setup. I had the 650s (as previously mentioned) and they were very nice headphones, so I would assume that the 600s are nice as well! I was thinking about them before going with a closed can. You can always come back to the FAs (or not!) I don't think anyone should feel bad if they decide to go with something else. The variety/options is one of the aspects that make this hobby so enjoyable...

May 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,565 of 3,047

Quote:
Especially how awesome they are for the price.

beerchug.gif

May 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,567 of 3,047
The HD600 and FA-003 seem pretty similar so far. The biggest difference is the bass of the FA-003 seems to have more impact but then again closed headphones in my experience tends to have more impact. It also seems to have a tad more warmth. I haven't had much time on it but I don't hear any of that Sennheiser veil I've read about. Chances are that after a month or so I'm going to have a sale of some of my headphones since I suspect some will sound too similar to each other to warrant them but I still need to get my DT880 back first.

May 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,568 of 3,047
rawster, i guess the hd600 spelled the death knell for the 003 huh...lolz
u put it up for $adoption 
wink.gif

May 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,570 of 3,047

Quote:
rawster, i guess the hd600 spelled the death knell for the 003 huh...lolz
u put it up for $adoption 
wink.gif

I've been going back and forth about selling it. It's the first full sized I really liked. Also it's not the HD600 but rather the K601 that made me put it up. I don't find the HD600 as comfortable as the K601 and for some reason with my glasses it makes a sound when it rubs against my glasses which is pretty annoying.

May 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,571 of 3,047
oh yes...there is tat creaking sound whenever the hd600 headband is stretched a little..
i get that all the time, might add some grease one day..lol.

=============

i am still in the midst of 3 wars...
war of the open cans..
war  of the closed cans..
war of the expensive cans...

maybe another two more wars...
usb cables, and powercords. lol

ohhh....
maybe war of the tubeamps will be further down the line.
deadhorse.gif

May 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,572 of 3,047
I'm pretty sure it is my glasses that is making the noise. I had it with the FA-003 as well and the K601 but only at certain positions. The HD600 is by far worse with that sound but getting it at the right position fixes it. Having the HD600 makes me see how great of a deal the FA-003 is. I just had to try for myself but the FA-003 more than holds its own against the HD600.

Good thing I don't really have any wars until my DT880 comes and I can't afford the really expensive cans such as your HD800 so all is good here. I'm just planning on buying a good SS sometime in the next few months and a tube down the line and hopefully be done with it..

May 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #1,573 of 3,047

i prefer the 003 to the 880....compared it over a few orchestra passages, and sold it within a week of the arrival of the 003.
its a merciless world in head-mania...we take no prisoners, cept to torture our ears for just a while longer.
popcorn.gif

edit : and i prefer the hd600 to the 003....lolz. 
and the dt770 over the hd600 in some sense...
now i am confused which should be sacrificed.
or should i just get the 003 back into the fold.
tongue_smile.gif

May 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,575 of 3,047
USB, an oddity i must say.

theoretically its supposed to be zeros n ones...
but its floating on a wave of watever its sitting on..
and tat wave of wateveritis can affect the sonic character of your music...
tat change of sound is enough to extract some$$ from my steelsafe.
And many companies including Nuforce L.A.T Oyaide etc are glad to make some money out of people like me...lol.
we are just zeros and WANTs. 
tongue.gif

yes...and there are powercords and other EMF black arts tat perplexed my wallet now and then.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back