Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Apr 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,471 of 3,047
Quote:
duck fixed
biggrin.gif
accidentally dragged over an extension link

Well I guess he's just gonna hang out in my reply
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,472 of 3,047
So how disappointed will I be with these compared to my old Stax SR-5 or Grado HF-1? I am looking for some good phones for trance/electronica/psy/dub and really am at a loss... these appear to be the best option for under $200?

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,473 of 3,047

Quote:
So how disappointed will I be with these compared to my old Stax SR-5 or Grado HF-1? I am looking for some good phones for trance/electronica/psy/dub and really am at a loss... these appear to be the best option for under $200?

Not a bad phone for dub, I found the FAs to be extremely versatile. I mean, every music that has gone through them sounded really good. One thing to note is that I do not own the FA-003, but the FA-002w.

If you're coming from a Stax, can't really comment on that. There is surely some things that the Stax will do better, but I have no experience with the headphones you listed, ... If those Stax are better than the HD600/HD650, then you'll be somewhat disappointed.

I found that using Dolby Headphones with the FA-002w was significantly better than without. The soundstage increased immensely, separation is a lot better, more details! Some of you should really try

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #1,475 of 3,047

Quote:

Don't know about the Stax but I think the FA-003 is a clear upgrade over the Grado HF-1. Also keep in mind that John Grado headphones have a very colored sound signature. The FA-003 sounds like nothing really.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,478 of 3,047
Could somebody please throw down a bias-free comparison of these to the ATH m50s, HD25-1 IIs, and other cans in this price range?

Google.

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

I think legodt asks for a comparison of FA-003s with M50s etc.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,480 of 3,047

Quote:
Don't know about the Stax but I think the FA-003 is a clear upgrade over the Grado HF-1. Also keep in mind that John Grado headphones have a very colored sound signature. The FA-003 sounds like nothing really.

So then my basic impression of the FA-003 is correct? Extremely neutral and transparent with a big soundstage that will handle anything?

It seems that they focus more on using a really good driver and smart design than charging for prestige or trademarked BS. Sounds like my kind of headphone.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,481 of 3,047
You'll probably find better cans for classical (SS), but for just about everything else (especially female vocals) I really liked my FA-003s.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,482 of 3,047
So then my basic impression of the FA-003 is correct? Extremely neutral and transparent with a big soundstage that will handle anything?

It seems that they focus more on using a really good driver and smart design than charging for prestige or trademarked BS. Sounds like my kind of headphone.

I'd say the soundstage is above average.. not huge.  It is however, very accurate and has good width and depth.. imaging is excellent.  How well the 003 handles practically everything I've thrown at it (jazz, blues, to classical, metal, hip hop, downtempo, DnB, etc.) is one of the main reasons I like this phone so much.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,483 of 3,047

Quote:

It is neutral and transparent with an great soundstage. Keep in mind that soundstage depends on how the music is mastered. The FA-003 portrays the soundstage information very accurately. I have noticed that if the FA-003 sounds bad with anything, it's not the FA-003 but rather, the culprit is either the music itself or the system.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,484 of 3,047
The FA-003 portrays the soundstage information very accurately. I have noticed that if the FA-003 sounds bad with anything, it's not the FA-003 but rather, the culprit is either the music itself or the system.

Good point about the soundstage, LFF.. I have gotten some seriously amazing soundstage on music that's mastered to have it.. some concert hall recordings were simply incredible.
As also stated, it's very unforgiving.. even more than the DBA.. but again, it's something I appreciate and works both ways in that it rewards well recorded/mixed music.. and most all my music is in 256-320Kbps MP3/AAC so it's really a non-issue for me.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,485 of 3,047
You'll probably find better cans for classical (SS), but for just about everything else (especially female vocals) I really liked my FA-003s.

for classical, I'd probably prefer less lower end and relatively more prominent mids. (002w). Then again, it depends how bright your amp is. I can't stand these out of MD11 hp out (too dark), but with bright external amps or D100 it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back