Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Mar 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,411 of 3,047
I'm just saying the Bose are doing 80% of what the FA-002w are capable of a decent source... The sound does feel a little congested on the bose AE but that's pretty much the only difference my inexperienced ears are hearing

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,412 of 3,047
I'm not saying your ears are lying, but quick little comments here and there with little articulation don't look good. If you really want to express your findings (that the AE Bose cans do indeed trump the FA-003/2w), then write up a small comparison between them so there can be some validity and basis in your findings. I just don't think jumping to conclusions on a dedicated 100 page headphone thread is very effective or convincing to anyone.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,414 of 3,047
Okay, just nevermind. I just did a splitter setup with my signal to be able to hear both of them at the same time, and yeah, I can clearly say the AE sound is congested compared to that of the FA-002w, the bass is less impactful and the sound is less detailed, the voices are somewhat artificial and there is also less soundstage. The soundstage doesn't have this deepness that I only found in the FA-002w. There is also less separation. Well, in fact, they are just lacking on many things compared to the FA-002w. Next time I do a comparison, definitely going to go with that setup again, because when you try a headphone, then unplug it and plug the other one in, you quickly lose the memory of the sound

Edit: Wow, okay the FA-002w are indeed way better than the AE in so many ways.
Edit #2: Just tried a ultrasone demo and wow, the FA-002w just blows the AE out of the water. I'm sorry, I'm really a beginner to that stuff

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,415 of 3,047
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw a comment on this forum a while back where the guy compared his ear's memory to that of a goldfish. I agree with him lol
beyersmile.png
A lot of the Head-Fi reviews take time and effort to find the (sometimes) subtle nuances, so be careful when you try to dethrone them :wink:

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,416 of 3,047
yea im really horrible of comparing headphones... i think in the end, the one i use the most will be my favorite one.. right now im just using skullcandy ink'd that my gf found on the floor in school 

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,417 of 3,047

Quote:
Okay, just nevermind. I just did a splitter setup with my signal to be able to hear both of them at the same time, and yeah, I can clearly say the AE sound is congested compared to that of the FA-002w, the bass is less impactful and the sound is less detailed, the voices are somewhat artificial and there is also less soundstage. The soundstage doesn't have this deepness that I only found in the FA-002w. There is also less separation. Well, in fact, they are just lacking on many things compared to the FA-002w. Next time I do a comparison, definitely going to go with that setup again, because when you try a headphone, then unplug it and plug the other one in, you quickly lose the memory of the sound

Edit: Wow, okay the FA-002w are indeed way better than the AE in so many ways.
Edit #2: Just tried a ultrasone demo and wow, the FA-002w just blows the AE out of the water. I'm sorry, I'm really a beginner to that stuff

Lol it's ok. I remember when I first started out I thought cowon's stock buds sounded as good as my Pana HJE900's... up until I really let the sound of the pana's burn in and then realized that they really didn't 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,418 of 3,047

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw a comment on this forum a while back where the guy compared his ear's memory to that of a goldfish. I agree with him lol
beyersmile.png
A lot of the Head-Fi reviews take time and effort to find the (sometimes) subtle nuances, so be careful when you try to dethrone them :wink:

Agreed! Which is why I haven't tried writing any reviews yet, it really takes time to sit down and commit the sound signature to your auditory memory so that you can make proper comparisons.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,420 of 3,047
Finally dispatched my 003...sobsob.
And received a Sony Z1000 in the mailbox.

First impression of the Sony, must say i am quite surprised by the sound presentation,
its quite alike the tunnel funnel sensation u find in the 003.
I was expecting a studio monitor type of sound...flatAKG analytical n clear.
But its not...there is a hall-ish echo to the sound sig...very airy.
Also reminded me a little of the Audio Technica W5000..just a little.
there is a small hump in the mid treble...very very little hump.
Not annoying but its noticeable. Maybe the japs like it this way.

Definitely a grade clearer than the 003.
Comfortwise, as good as the 003.
Its very hansdome looking, minimalistic.
If the 003 is sleeker looking, it would have been much better.

But price/value wise, the 003 is hard to beat.
The Sony is two to three times more $$$.
This is just my initial impressions...
now going thru the albums.
Its a good refined-replacement to the 003 if u dun mind dishing out the $$$.

The T5p is one level up above these..quite CLEARLY, to my ears.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #1,421 of 3,047
Someone was comparing the FA=003s to the denons? Completely different sound signature. I'm listening to some d2000s now as I wanted to compare the sound  signatures. The FA-003 has that huge wide open sound. Great with highs/mids, bass could be better but, as its been pointed out the 003 is a reference headphone.It has detail like nobodys business. The denons have a lot more bass and a very forward sound. The soundstage is a lot more closed in than the 003s. With the 003 you can tell where everything would be. With the denons everything sounds closer together. The vocals aren't as clear and everything seems to be sharing the same space. What I mean by that is the background is closer to the forefront. I'm not really a reviewer but, I hope this helped clarify that.

I used flac,320k mp3 and 250K M4a files with Foobar, and PS audio digital link 3 with a PS audio GCHA.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,424 of 3,047

Quote:
there is a small hump in the mid treble...very very little hump.
Not annoying but its noticeable. Maybe the japs like it this way.

I thought exactly the same thing when I heard them.  It actually bothered me a bit but not as much as the EX1000 did.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,425 of 3,047
my hippo player died on me ...again. So i played the Z1000 on the ipad,
and it sounded marvelous with less of the mid treble hump. 
Think its tuned to players like ipod or sansa with a more neutral analytical mode.
the Z1000 is looking more n more adept at replacing my departed003.

My first session with the z1000 was on the EF5 hybrid amp, which might have boosted the warmth, 
thus my initial less-impressed-impression. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back