Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Mar 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,306 of 3,047
The bass on mine is definately tightening up at about 130 hours use.  Just stellar.  I seriously could not ask for a better sound.  

As for burn-in, I just run mine in 2-3 hour spurts, when I can, at slightly more than listening volume, to random tracks. 

These are so stimulating to me, I can't fall asleep!  That's a good thing!  

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,307 of 3,047
so after stretching the headband, i finally hit my comfort sweetspot, added some foam rings onto the pad faceplate, and attached the pleather pads over them, and viola, great seal and comfort. Just by getting a good seal alone gives me the bass i always wanted, not overpowering, but definitely present. Now i truly see why these headphones are garnering so much attention. Thanks for those who talked about these phones enough to make me aware of them. I feel the assessment of these being balanced and natural sounding are very accurate. That's not to say they are boring, when push comes to shove, they adapt very well, if i put electronic and hip hop music i feel they keep up with the fun factor.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,308 of 3,047
thats sounds interesting bro, can i see pictures of it?

Quote:
so after bending the headband in a variety of ways, i finally hit my comfort sweetspot, added some foam rings onto the pad faceplate, and attached the pleather pads over them, and viola, great seal and comfort. Just by getting a good seal alone gives me the bass i always wanted, not overpowering, but definitely present. Now i truly see why these headphones are garnering so much attention. Thanks for those who talked about these phones enough to make me aware of them. I feel the assessment of these being balanced and natural sounding are very accurate. That's not to say they are boring, when push comes to shove, they adapt very well, if i put electronic and hip hop music i feel they keep up with the fun factor.

Edit: i want some portable cable for fa-003 are there any?

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,309 of 3,047

Okay, here's how i made my pair more comfortable. Twist off the pad plate off of the headphone, and take off the pads as well. Working with just the plate, cut foam in the shape that follows the plate, a ring or "c" shape if you will. Once you finalize the shape of the foam and placement, I stuck some double sided tape to secure the piece of foam onto the plate ( double sided tape works best in that it has no mess and is easy to work with )

Here's my finalized piece for the right side, be sure to copy the exact shape and do the same to the other side so both right and left earpads will be balanced.

This is how it looks when you put the pads back onto the plate, you see through the mesh that the foam is underneath and secure. Now twist the face plates back onto the headphones and there you have it. A very quick and easy way to improve comfort. For an easier and quicker way, people can just tuck some foam ( or whatever else material ) right under the pad as opposed to the plate, but I find the way I outlined looks more professional and it will protect the foam better, as it won't be as exposed so it won't flake off as badly as well as not shifting in position.  Important thing to note is that everyone's head is different, people might like less foam, no foam, or like the foam to be placed elsewhere, this configuration suits me best where i wear thick framed glassed and have a narrow head. I did this merely to improve comfort and it works, at the same time its giving me a better seal and the perception of better sound when comparing with added foam vs no foam. This is just about where my mods will stop, as i have played around with the cup and different dampening materials and was not successful at that front. This mod just showed me that comfort and seal comes first, and sound will follow once you achieve these.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,310 of 3,047
I really like these cans but, I want to modify them some. Is there any way to get some real true deep sub-bass out of these?How about just denon 5000 quality? I've used several bass heavy cans and thats the one thing that these are really lacking.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,311 of 3,047

Quote:
I really like these cans but, I want to modify them some. Is there any way to get some real true deep sub-bass out of these?How about just denon 5000 quality? I've used several bass heavy cans and thats the one thing that these are really lacking.

You are not going to get a bass canon here. What you probably want instead is another headphone.

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,312 of 3,047
Quote:
You are not going to get a bass canon here. What you probably want instead is another headphone.

Lol, what rawr^ said. A neutral can (FA-003) is not going to appease a basshead because it is neutral. It attempts to reproduce all frequencies without bias for another. A bass canon, which you seem to be looking for, is not neutral.

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,313 of 3,047
How about EQ?... In my opinion, the lack of an emphasized bass response is more of a feature than a drawback. I don't think "real" and "true" applies to what you're seeking, I seldom hear such sounds in my daily life, so I don't really get what the LFE obsession is about. That said, have you considered other bass-heavy headphones?

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,315 of 3,047

interesting, so these made the bass better? and did you put the foam in front of ear or back of ear ? or a whole circle each plate?
Quote:

Okay, here's how i made my pair more comfortable. Twist off the pad plate off of the headphone, and take off the pads as well. Working with just the plate, cut foam in the shape that follows the plate, a ring or "c" shape if you will. Once you finalize the shape of the foam and placement, I stuck some double sided tape to secure the piece of foam onto the plate ( double sided tape works best in that it has no mess and is easy to work with )

Here's my finalized piece for the right side, be sure to copy the exact shape and do the same to the other side so both right and left earpads will be balanced.

This is how it looks when you put the pads back onto the plate, you see through the mesh that the foam is underneath and secure. Now twist the face plates back onto the headphones and there you have it. A very quick and easy way to improve comfort. For an easier and quicker way, people can just tuck some foam ( or whatever else material ) right under the pad as opposed to the plate, but I find the way I outlined looks more professional and it will protect the foam better, as it won't be as exposed so it won't flake off as badly as well as not shifting in position.  Important thing to note is that everyone's head is different, people might like less foam, no foam, or like the foam to be placed elsewhere, this configuration suits me best where i wear thick framed glassed and have a narrow head. I did this merely to improve comfort and it works, at the same time its giving me a better seal and the perception of better sound when comparing with added foam vs no foam. This is just about where my mods will stop, as i have played around with the cup and different dampening materials and was not successful at that front. This mod just showed me that comfort and seal comes first, and sound will follow once you achieve these.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,316 of 3,047

i noticed with e7 vs ipod classic is that when i use the e7 it sounded more full i like it better i dont know how to explain it tho.. maybe cleaner or warmer depending on the amp,for e7 it just sounded thicker, ^_^ on my yamaha receiver, it sounds perfect, more refined sounding, more pleasing to my ears, and you get more details and such.. especially the dts when i watch stuff,
Quote:
How does the FA-003/002w change in sound when amped (by the MX1 or cheaper amp?)

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #1,317 of 3,047
How does the FA-003/002w change in sound when amped (by the MX1 or cheaper amp?)

My impressions HERE & HERE.  I think the MX-1 is a near perfect pairing for the 003 if you want to maintain it's neutral signature.  The MX-1 now has over a hundred hours on it.. and it's something else.. lovely lovely sounding w/ every headphone/IEM I've thrown at them.. of all my headphones, the 003 probably sounded the best out of all of them when run through the MX-1 (DBA was right on it's heels).  With the MX-1, what I found was an increase in the 003's already impressive soundstage, instrument separation & depth was very impressive, mids & treble sound cleaner and gain depth.. as I said in the previous review.. you'll gain a whole new appreciation for what the 003 can do bass-wise when they're properly paired/amped.. the low end has such authority, detail, & texture when run through the MX-1.  Mind you I've also got the wood cans which helps with resonance.. but even before I swapped those in, the stock 003 sounded downright euphoric with the MX-1.  For a <$200 setup, I don't think it gets better than an MX-1 if you own a 003 and want as little sound coloration as possible.

If you're on a (relative) budget, grab the MX-1 as your desktop amp & an Arrow 3G as your portable.. it's my setup & I don't see myself upgrading for quite sometime.  I haven't even looked at the HF amp sub-forums since both these have arrived.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,318 of 3,047
The HUD-MX1 is a relatively inexpensive solution for those on a budget or for people like me who are not home very often so wouldn't be too wise to spend much on a headphone rig. I'll get a better dac/amp in the future but that will be much more expensive but that's on hold for a couple of years probably. The HUD-MX1 basically improves on the sound of the FA-003 when plugged into a not as good source such as say my Cowon J3. While the FA-003 off my J3 does sound good it becomes much better when the dac/amp is in the middle instead of the J3. The same goes if it is straight from my netbook and then my dac/amp. FlySweep basically covered it all. Take what the FA-003 is good at and it makes it better due to the better source.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,319 of 3,047

Quote:

there is a ultrasone pro750 on sale...tat can should give u a good headshake instead of the oo3. 
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,320 of 3,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back