Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #961 of 3,047
two other headphones and a buzy schedule just wont do justice to the 003...
dun get me wrong, i love the 003.... but its not an unto death do us part item.
 its an item tat i will pick up again..maybe with a coconut husk attached.
beerchug.gif

i know its a decision i will regret, but when i saw the glee in the face of my v young buyer...
i know i made his DAY!!

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #962 of 3,047

Quote:
beerchug.gif

i know its a decision i will regret, but when i saw the glee in the face of my v young buyer...
i know i made his DAY!!

Yeah I've sold my fair share of great sounding stuff.  It's not always about not liking something.  Inventory space, usage, etc.  Otherwise I'd still have my modded M50's, HFI580, DBI700, RS1 unbuttoned, D7000, etc.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #963 of 3,047
For those who ordered the FA-002w, how much days did it take to get the cups crafted?
I ordered them on Feb 16 (6 days ago)

I'm still waiting on mine to be shipped... (I didn't receive any message from Dmitry)

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #966 of 3,047

Quote:
Thanks. From the forums it looks like the average time to Canada is 20 days, so basically a month for the entire process. Not too bad.

Sounds about right. It takes ~ 20 working days to California, USA.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #967 of 3,047

Quote:
Absolutely.. I still enjoy the MS-1i/Grado sound, but I can't get over the small soundstage (despite doing the 414pad/reverse quarter mod).. at least for the genres I listen to.  After listening to how lifelike, accurate, and lively mids can be reproduced by the DBAs & 003s (and even my beloved iM-590.. which has been characterized by many to have a slight mid-forward/grado-ish sound, w/ better soundstage, bass, and airiness), mids from lower end Grado products, the frequency range that has become their calling card, sound almost artificial and honky.

I haven't given the MS-1i's their full chance though (I've had 'em for over 6 months, but they haven't got a ton of play, maybe 50 hours) as I've heard they improve quite a bit after 150-200 hours (mids smooth out and bass becomes a little fuller), but why bother when the 003 wink at me every time I glance at them?

For those with the 003 wood cups (5 or 8 step).. can someone go into a little more detail in how the vocals sound vs the stock 003 cups?  I'm just curious..

FlySweep, how does the FA-003 compare to a stock MS-1?

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #968 of 3,047

Quote:
If you don't mind answering, how old are you guys? I'm 29 and I too notice the harsh treble. Also, it seems like the high end is forward relative to the bass, making the bass seem slightly recessed. And yes, they've been burned in over 100 hours.

I'm curious about age because it seems like the FA-003 would sound perfectly balanced for a person with slight hearing loss in the upper frequencies, ie, older people :p

I'm not one of the posters that you're responding to, but yes, at 53 I don't hear the harsh treble, while my sons do . . . <sigh>.  (Or maybe it's just a 'benefit' of age . . .).  In deference to some ear problems, I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in-line with my headamp and, interestingly, with the 003s I find less need to attenuate the highs and lows than with most other cans -- which tends to confirm what you're saying about the bass being a bit recessed (and the forward high end I can't hear, anyway . . .
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #969 of 3,047

Quote:

Mine took approx 8 days from order to ship...

Must be nice...I ordered mine on the 9th and there has been no update or package at my door. Did your account get updated when they shipped or did they just show up at your house?

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #970 of 3,047
Can't stop listening to FLAC Tord Gustavsen Trio with my HUD-MX1, Kicas and FA-003s
beyersmile.png

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #971 of 3,047
I am spending the last few days with this amazing 003 before packing it away for the next beneficiary....sob sob. Tried to convince myself it ain't TAT good...but to no avail.
:rolleyes:

Dion Warwick singing some spirituals....."we sing because we re happy..."
so real she made me cry. What have I dun....y did I sell:p

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #973 of 3,047

Quote:
beerchug.gif

i know i made his DAY!!

Well mate my will has just been changed. Mine are coming with me into the coffin :)

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #974 of 3,047
Quote:
I'm not one of the posters that you're responding to, but yes, at 53 I don't hear the harsh treble, while my sons do . . . <sigh>.  (Or maybe it's just a 'benefit' of age . . .).  In deference to some ear problems, I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in-line with my headamp and, interestingly, with the 003s I find less need to attenuate the highs and lows than with most other cans -- which tends to confirm what you're saying about the bass being a bit recessed (and the forward high end I can't hear, anyway . . .
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Interesting, thanks for the report.... it's weird because the FA003 do have a good amount of bass - it can be full and rumbly while somehow sitting slightly behind the treble in the mix. That's how I hear it at least.

Does anyone else get easily fatigued by the FA003? Since I haven't heard anyone else mention it, I think it's probably just me not being used to closed headphones... but I'm curious if anyone else feels this way.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #975 of 3,047

Quote:
Well mate my will has just been changed. Mine are coming with me into the coffin :)

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

if ever the world runs out of 003 fifty years from now...i know where to dig for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back