Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #498 of 3,047
Has anyone bought the cups? I'd like to buy one eventually and unfortunately the one that looks the nicest is $198 from gd audiobase. Are the plastic cups easy to remove and the wooden cups easy to install?

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #499 of 3,047
I have a question in relation to these phones' portability; it seems like they should be driven fine by a DAP but what about form factor? how big are they on one's head? I understand that they are lightweight but they seem bulky in terms of just sheer space. Thoughts?

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #500 of 3,047
@ legogt - I'm happy with the cans as they are. They get so much better once burnt in that the wooden cups seem to me an expensive option. I'm pleased you like them. And worth the wait don't you agree :)

@ acegazda - they actually can be powered fine straight from my iPad or iPhone. And sound great. But with my Fiio E7 and E9 even better. If you look back around page 25-29 I took some photos. They are big but then I like that. Used to wear Sony mdr-xb700s on the train :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #501 of 3,047

Quote:
Has anyone bought the cups? I'd like to buy one eventually and unfortunately the one that looks the nicest is $198 from gd audiobase. Are the plastic cups easy to remove and the wooden cups easy to install?

Yes, my friend does and it is not difficult to change the cups. Here is his article about changing the cups.

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=180&t=1790326&m=f&p=5#25090124

Although this article was written in chinese, you still could get an idea about how to remove the cups through the pictures he put. Perhaps I will ask him if he is able to write in English and put it at this thread.

According to his description, the sound becomes better after using the wood cups, especially in the bass and classical music. He also feels that the sound signature become much closer to HD600 than before.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #503 of 3,047

Quote:

Thank you for the comparison.

About the AH-D1001 recable, I think it's more of a placebo effect. I tried to plug them (already recabled) to the provided extension cable (which I think is the same wire as the original cable) and heard no audible difference. I'm not sure if that was fair to compare like that...

Hmm.. very interesting.. most all the other reviews of the 1001 recable state a fairly dramatic improvement.  Also, the extension provided with them is widely considered utter crap (it uses the same stock cable material).  Have you plugged the recabled phones directly into a DAP/other source? How do they sound then?  I've read the recable with the Mogami pulls the mids right up, which would makes these phones an absolute gem.. can you confirm this?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't notice your post 
redface.gif
 I was sure that I subscribed to this thread...
I can try to test them again, now with the Yulong D100, if you're still interested.

Also, how does AH-D1001 compare to FA-003?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #504 of 3,047
The FA-003 is superior in many ways to the Denon. This is from memory however so keep that in mind. 

The FA-003 offers greater extension, resolution, dynamics and overall a step up. The FA-003 is more neutral than the Denons and they had a boosted bass and a mid bass hump. It also had a slight recession in the mids and the treble is not as extended. There was a hint of a veil as well. I'd say the Denons are a bit more comfortable but hard to compare without having them both in my possession. The FA-003 is a pretty good bang for your buck while the Denon is a good entry level at around $80-$100 but I think it's discontinued.

Also thanks for the link smallfish! It looks like you just need to unscrew the 4 screws on each side to remove the cups. I'll probably look into that after I get a proper dac/amp since the one I'm using right now is one I intended for transportable and wasn't planning on getting a headphone setup for a few years but I think I'm done with adding/removing things from my portable gear so time to focus on different things.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #505 of 3,047
Now I'm selling my denons and planning to buy FA-002 8-stepped amphitheater woodies. Thank you FlySweep and rawrster for comparisons.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #507 of 3,047
Why do the woodies say 002? Can they be used as closed on the 003? And are those the prices for the cups only ($198, etc.)? I am in the boat for 003s right now but weighing them between D1001/D2000/HD580

Edit: Nvm, I see that all the woodies are closed.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #508 of 3,047
The D1001 shouldn't be in the same consideration if you are thinking about these. They are in different leagues of performance. I've never heard the others however.

The price of $198 is only the cups. The headphone costs around the same however but can't remember what the price is.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #509 of 3,047
Today I had a chance to compare my recabled AH-D1001 to AH-D1100 with stock cable both plugged in to Yulong D100. Will try my best to explain with my poor english. Listened to When The Levee Breaks by LZ (44.1/16 FLAC), because I 'know' this song very well. First what I noticed is comfort of AH-D1100. They feel just like AH-D1001, but more comfortable with bigger ears. There's more space in AH-D1100's cup.

And the sound: My recabled AH-D1001 sounded quite better. My AH-D1001 had little bigger soundstage on that song. Higher resolution in high frequencies -- cymbals sounded more realistic, just the way they should. 
AH-D1100 sound reminded me of AH-D1001 + stock cable. Also bass on AH-D1100 sounded less controlled than on my AH-D1001. AH-D1100 sounded 'narrower' and something like 192kbps mp3. I'm sure these differences were caused by that thin cable of AH-D1100. I suggested the owner of AH-D1100 to recable them.

And I think it's now safe to say that racable really did improve the sound of my AH-D1001.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #510 of 3,047
According to my friend and his friend's description, the wood cups definitely improve the sound a lot (like d2000 ---> d5000). The overall sound become warmer and the vocals move forward.

He currently owns DT880 600 ohm, HD650 and his friend owns DT880 03, HD600 with hd650 cable.  They all have much experience with many other headphones. At first, his friend thought the performance of Fa-003 is just soso, not bad. But after changing into wood cup, his friend just feels "wow". One shortcoming is that Fa-003's presentation of classical music is just soso. Despite this shortcoming, they still feel that it is very unlikely to find a headphone which sounds as good as Fa-003 wood cups at this price range. 

After getting their review of Fa-003 wood cups today, I am planning to buy a pair of wood cups for my fa-003 recently although I already have DT880 600 ohm 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back