Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #226 of 3,047
Just a note - the ear caps are removable.

I will also post a direct link the images listed above.

I'm telling you guys and gals...the FA-003 sounds fantastic and is an amazing bargain considering, IMHO, that they are reference quality 'phones. As for the pads, I have yet to get the new "soft" pads. Hopefully Ethan will get back to me. As for any pads that fit these, I don't know. I'll try to see if I can put Senn HD-600 pads on them for fun.

I'm also very happy to see that they kept the original case and dumped the box.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #227 of 3,047
Sure, it is my honor!! Please feel free to use these images. 
I will post a review later. 

Some personal feeling toward the earcaps:
1. with original ones, it sounds much similar with HD600. 
2. with soft nap ones, the sound signature is much similar with DBA-02 for its clarity and details. 

I prefer the original ones more  than the soft nap ones because I already have DBA-02. 
Anyway, it is quite fun to change the sound signature by simply replacing the earcaps. 
Quote:
Great pics seven. When can we see a review?
biggrin.gif
 Perhaps LFF can copy these images to the first post, or a link.

By the way, I have been finding my FA003 a bit bright/edgy lately, but I think its my amp/dac fault, so I am going to replace the amp/dac. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #228 of 3,047
Just ordered a set.  The supplier is in Canada and I should have them by Monday.  I am very interested in comparing them to my growing stash of headphones.  This is probably the last pair for a while since the wife is putting the financial hammer down. 

Current list:

M50 - solid headphone
Grado 325 - A bit too bright for me
HD-540 Reference Gold - very well rounded and smooth - like better than HD600
HE-5 - Favorite - fantastic - amazing
D7000 - Smooth like butter - second favorite
D2000 - Smooth
K702 - Great open sound
DT990 - Great detail - unique sound - less open - good bass - third favorite
Ultrasone 750 PRO - veiled high end but great punch in bass
Shure 840 -  Least Favorite
HD-600 - dissapointed with this one after all the reviews - expected a more unique sound

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #229 of 3,047

Quote:
Just ordered a set.  The supplier is in Canada and I should have them by Monday.  I am very interested in comparing them to my growing stash of headphones.  This is probably the last pair for a while since the wife is putting the financial hammer down. 

Current list:

M50 - solid headphone
Grado 325 - A bit too bright for me
HD-540 Reference Gold - very well rounded and smooth - like better than HD600
HE-5 - Favorite - fantastic - amazing
D7000 - Smooth like butter - second favorite
D2000 - Smooth
K702 - Great open sound
DT990 - Great detail - unique sound - less open - good bass - third favorite
Ultrasone 750 PRO - veiled high end but great punch in bass
Shure 840 -  Least Favorite
HD-600 - dissapointed with this one after all the reviews - expected a more unique sound

If you didn't like the HD-600's, then you might not like these. They sound very similar in that they don't have a unique sound. They are very transparent and the major difference is that the FA-003 is closed, so they are better for late night listening. Of course, you can always get these and sell the HD-600's.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #230 of 3,047
I love to find good value nuggets in headphones and look forward to giving them a listen.  I may give the HD-600's another good go.  I purchased them from a fellow that rewired them and perhaps he fouled something up.  I may listen to a set at a local dealer and compare to mine.  I quite like the HD-540's though. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #231 of 3,047
I am looking forward to ur review about how they sound compare to other high end headphones , these are my first expensive headphones and i really like them very much. I am still suffering in the process of finding good dac/amp or sound card for them because i am tight in budget.

Mind to give me some suggestions? I have read about Fiio E7 , Zero Dac , one unknown brand in head-fi forum Topping TP-D2 ( details here :  http://cgi.ebay.com/Topping-TP-D2-Portable-Head-AMP-USB-DAC-sound-card-/110595385197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 )  Audio-gd Sparrow , and Asus Xonar Essence STX , all of them are between 100-200 usd.

Please help me , i really want to give them a good input because i believe that they can sound even better!!!

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #232 of 3,047
I received a new set of FA-003s from backorder last week, presumably from the latest production run.  I ordered these on the strength of some early reviews that compared them favorably to HD-600s.  Since my favorite headphone is a late HD-580 with HD-600 screens and an HD-650 cable, this sounded good.  Moreover, I wanted to acquire a decent set of closed cans, and the price was right.  Here are my impressions.  (My apologies for any redundancies; I haven't reviewed the whole thread, and it's been a while since I last looked in.)

Physically, the packaging is impressive, with a nice nylon carrying case, and an extra set of fabric ear cups to complement the leather ones it comes fitted with.  Quality of materials, fit, and finish are good.  The cable is of decent gauge.  No instructions or other paperwork is included.  Like most over-the-ear closed cans, things get a bit warm after a half-hour or so of listening, but it wasn't uncomfortable.  I didn't perceive any major difference in heat buildup between the leather and fabric ear cups, nor any real acoustic differences.  BTW, the ear cups come off with a quarter-twist of a bayonet mount.  (I'm glad I fooled around with them for a while, rather than marring the cans trying to pry them off.)

These closed cans do a good job of insulating your roommate from your music, but a relatively poor job of keeping exterior noises out.  These are not cans to take on an airplane.

I did a straight-up comparison between my modded HD-580s and the FA003s.  Source was a Sony SCD-CE595 feeding the CD Direct circuit of my Yamaha RX-797, thence via the tape output to a Matrix M-stage headamp. (I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in this setup as well, but kept it turned off for the test.)  The M-stage drives both cans effortlessly, and unlike the Sennys, the FA003 doesn't need an amp this potent.

I gave the FA-003s a 200 hour burn-in (with frequent on and offs) prior to the test.

Test sources:

Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disk
Chesky's Audiophile Vocal Recordings
Chi passa per'sta strada -- from Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Journeys
Saint-Saens Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major - Stephen Hough
The Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis
The Quintet - Gillespie/Parker/Mingus/Roach/Powell
Songs for Swinging Lovers (20 bit) - Sinatra
A Hard Day's Night (mono) - Beatles
The Way I Feel - Gordon LIghtfoot
Basket of Light - Pentangle

As you can see, I'm not much of a rocker, and I don't present my impressions as having any particular authority for those who are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the FA003s 'like' the modded Senn HD-580s?  No.  I will agree that both cans are relatively neutral and unobtrusive, and I think that's fair, as far as it goes.  Compared to the modded HD-580s, the FA003s were more forward in the bass, and lighter in the upper frequencies.  In terms of transparency, resolution, and imaging, however, they give up a lot to the Senns.

How significant a difference is this?  Depending on the music, a little or a lot.  With  music that lives mostly in the mids, and is dominant for one location and/or instrument, the FA003s compared very well.  There was little to choose between the cans when listening to the Saint-Saens, Sinatra, and Lightfoot recordings.  The Beatles recording also held up well.  At the other extreme, certain elements in the Quintet recording simply disappeared (at least at my preferred volume level) in going from the Senns to the FA003s.

This may be coming across as a negative review, but it's not.  The takeaway should be not how these cans fall short of the Senns, but how close they come for the price.  At $188.05 shipped (versus a delivered price $318.96 for HD600s at Amazon, plus $12.55 for a 650 cable, a must), these FA003s are a steal.  For someone with an under-$200 budget, the FA003s are a great choice.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #233 of 3,047

I am looking forward to ur review about how they sound compare to other high end headphones , these are my first expensive headphones and i really like them very much. I am still suffering in the process of finding good dac/amp or sound card for them because i am tight in budget.

Mind to give me some suggestions? I have read about Fiio E7 , Zero Dac , one unknown brand in head-fi forum Topping TP-D2 ( details here :  http://cgi.ebay.com/Topping-TP-D2-Portable-Head-AMP-USB-DAC-sound-card-/110595385197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 )  Audio-gd Sparrow , and Asus Xonar Essence STX , all of them are between 100-200 usd.

Please help me , i really want to give them a good input because i believe that they can sound even better!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You may want to check out the offerings from Hot Audio (search on Ebay). I have his DAC Wow USB with a built in amplifier and it sounds very good. The price is reasonable. Also check out used amps since they sell for much less. I purchased a Hifiman EF-5 for a very good price from another member. Depreciation is rapid in audio. Many people Chase the the holy grail and dump good gear with little use. I believe in spending on good  headphones rather than worring about amplifiers. I my opinion, the differences are subtle and the ear adjusts quickly. I have listened to many amps and speakers over the past 30 years and even built both.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #234 of 3,047

Quote:
This may be coming across as a negative review, but it's not.  The takeaway should be not how these cans fall short of the Senns, but how close they come for the price.  At $188.05 shipped (versus a delivered price $318.96 for HD600s at Amazon, plus $12.55 for a 650 cable, a must), these FA003s are a steal.  For someone with an under-$200 budget, the FA003s are a great choice.

I can agree with that.
It's not a bad phone - but it's also not the killer that some people are trying to make out of it.

m00h

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #235 of 3,047
I should have a pair of these in a week or so. I'm not much of a headphone guy since most of my listening is not done at home and I haven't had many headphones that I've kept for longer than a couple weeks with the exception of the Denon D1001. If these are near mid-fi I should be happy and in the rare case I don't like them I can sell them and buy a MS2i which was the other phone I was looking at but I found a good deal on these phones so I'll try this out first.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #236 of 3,047

Quote:
I should have a pair of these in a week or so. I'm not much of a headphone guy since most of my listening is not done at home and I haven't had many headphones that I've kept for longer than a couple weeks with the exception of the Denon D1001. If these are near mid-fi I should be happy and in the rare case I don't like them I can sell them and buy a MS2i which was the other phone I was looking at but I found a good deal on these phones so I'll try this out first.

Look forward to your impressions.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #237 of 3,047

Quote:

From what I recall, the FA003 have a level of refinement on par (or very near) with the D2000, and so should also be better than the D1001 (of course the D1001 is also cheaper). Much prefer the FA003 though, because I am easily overwhelmed by too much bass and can't live with too recessed mids. I say "too" recessed mids, because I wish the FA003's mids were just a tad more forward but I feel like I can live with that compromise (neutral; meh). I have been playing with equalizer just a tiny bit though. 

I was also thinking about crushing the extra set of pads overnight to make them flatter, in order to make the mids more upfront. Of course it will also affect the rest of the sound spectrum, including congesting it (go ahead and push the cups closer to your ears while wearing the headphones and see what I mean)... If I cannot effectively and permanently squish the pads, then I was thinking about trying to make my own... And eventually I will take the covers off to hear what that does too, even though I find these phones worthwhile mainly because they work well as a closed phone. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #238 of 3,047
Hi guys and gals. I'm a headphone newbie so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question.
I am looking for a good headphones to listen mostly at work in the office. Fischer sounds really great. Initially I was looking at noise cancelling ones but I'm not sure how useful they are for office noise,
Anybody has an idea how would FA-003 compare to Audio Technica AH-ANC7 or Sennheiser PXC450 sound quality wise? Would I lose a lot in isolating external noises like people talking if I opt for Fischer?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #239 of 3,047

Quote:
I received a new set of FA-003s from backorder last week, presumably from the latest production run.  I ordered these on the strength of some early reviews that compared them favorably to HD-600s.  Since my favorite headphone is a late HD-580 with HD-600 screens and an HD-650 cable, this sounded good.  Moreover, I wanted to acquire a decent set of closed cans, and the price was right.  Here are my impressions.  (My apologies for any redundancies; I haven't reviewed the whole thread, and it's been a while since I last looked in.)

Physically, the packaging is impressive, with a nice nylon carrying case, and an extra set of fabric ear cups to complement the leather ones it comes fitted with.  Quality of materials, fit, and finish are good.  The cable is of decent gauge.  No instructions or other paperwork is included.  Like most over-the-ear closed cans, things get a bit warm after a half-hour or so of listening, but it wasn't uncomfortable.  I didn't perceive any major difference in heat buildup between the leather and fabric ear cups, nor any real acoustic differences.  BTW, the ear cups come off with a quarter-twist of a bayonet mount.  (I'm glad I fooled around with them for a while, rather than marring the cans trying to pry them off.)

These closed cans do a good job of insulating your roommate from your music, but a relatively poor job of keeping exterior noises out.  These are not cans to take on an airplane.

I did a straight-up comparison between my modded HD-580s and the FA003s.  Source was a Sony SCD-CE595 feeding the CD Direct circuit of my Yamaha RX-797, thence via the tape output to a Matrix M-stage headamp. (I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in this setup as well, but kept it turned off for the test.)  The M-stage drives both cans effortlessly, and unlike the Sennys, the FA003 doesn't need an amp this potent.

I gave the FA-003s a 200 hour burn-in (with frequent on and offs) prior to the test.

Test sources:

Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disk
Chesky's Audiophile Vocal Recordings
Chi passa per'sta strada -- from Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Journeys
Saint-Saens Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major - Stephen Hough
The Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis
The Quintet - Gillespie/Parker/Mingus/Roach/Powell
Songs for Swinging Lovers (20 bit) - Sinatra
A Hard Day's Night (mono) - Beatles
The Way I Feel - Gordon LIghtfoot
Basket of Light - Pentangle

As you can see, I'm not much of a rocker, and I don't present my impressions as having any particular authority for those who are.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the FA003s 'like' the modded Senn HD-580s?  No.  I will agree that both cans are relatively neutral and unobtrusive, and I think that's fair, as far as it goes.  Compared to the modded HD-580s, the FA003s were more forward in the bass, and lighter in the upper frequencies.  In terms of transparency, resolution, and imaging, however, they give up a lot to the Senns.

How significant a difference is this?  Depending on the music, a little or a lot.  With  music that lives mostly in the mids, and is dominant for one location and/or instrument, the FA003s compared very well.  There was little to choose between the cans when listening to the Saint-Saens, Sinatra, and Lightfoot recordings.  The Beatles recording also held up well.  At the other extreme, certain elements in the Quintet recording simply disappeared (at least at my preferred volume level) in going from the Senns to the FA003s.

Thank you for the review.

I agree about the FA003 being a good closed can. I would not keep them if they were open headphones. The only other closed headphones I have tried that I liked were much more expensive (W5000 and CD3000).

I am also disappointed by transparency, resolution, and imaging, but I wasn't expecting very much because I was coming from Stax. 

I thought there was an obvious difference when switching from the cloth to leather pads. I will try again later, but it might be too late since I started the process of squishing the cloth pads lastnight... 
redface.gif

Poor job of keeping exterior noises out? My first closed headphones were the D2000, and they didn't seem to block out anything. The FA003 are like IEMs in comparison. I definitely wouldn't take them on an airplane though.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #240 of 3,047
Destroyed my unused cloth pads in order to try and turn them into something useful... 

Inside the cloth pads was this nice soft yellow foam. I carefully sat them on the driver housings and placed on my head. Sounded okay, but still not what I wanted.

I wanted the least possible amount of distance between my ears and driver. I deconstructed the pads piece by piece, while stopping at each layer to reattach to the headphones and have a listen. I also reversed (inside out) the pads at each layer and listened. I was not satisfied until I reached the point of minimum pad. In the picture, I put felt underneath that rim-of-rubber-quality-material, and yes that part of the pad I am using as the top which touch my ears:

Final product:

The sound (only quick impressions, and I am still working on the earpads):
Reminds me a lot of the modded MS1 I owned, except more resolving, deeper bass, with less piercing highs. I like it!

The comfort:
Less comfortable than a modded MS1 I owned. Ouch. I will try adding a slim layer of the leftover foam into the modded pads and see if that will improve comfort.
EDIT: I have to clarify, the modded MS1 had wood distancers and bowls which I thought was not really uncomfortable at all. It was the completely plastic SR225i with bowls I found uncomfortable.

Isolation:
Pretty much gone. 

My goal is to end up with two pairs of pads, the original sound with isolation of the leathers, and a fun Grado/AT sounding set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back