Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Jul 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,641 of 3,047
Quote:

Any first impressions? Also, did the headphones arrive within the specified timeframe?

They said 2-4 weeks. It took 3. The issue was that it took 16 days to get it out of their warehouse. They obliterate the M50s, and I really like the bass on them. I think that a balanced headphone (like the Jaycars) works really well with the overtone series (kind of hard to describe consisely, but it's interesting stuff) which makes for very accurate sounding instruments/vocals. Soundstage is decent, but not super expansive. One thing that is surprising is how easy these are to drive. I only put my tablet at about 2/3rds volume, whereas my M50s need to be at almost full blast to get a comfortable volume. They don't have much of an adjustment/mental burn-in period. I've thrown everything from electronica to classic rock to acoustic, and it sounds very transparent. When I get my Shures, I'll be sure to do some A/B/(C?) testing with the Jaycars, the SRH840s, snd the M50s.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #2,643 of 3,047
You can relax, it seems to be working. I got my tracking number today from jaycar. No additional shipping cost.
cool.gif

Quote:

Do keep us updated please. If you encounter any problems I will most likely encounter them later on as well. But this way everyone will know if they can avoid the absurd Australian shipping costs by buying off the UK website. 

Quote:

It doesn't mean that they won't. :D
In the meantime, i'm waiting patiently.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #2,644 of 3,047
Quote:
You can relax, it seems to be working. I got my tracking number today from jaycar. No additional shipping cost.
cool.gif

That is good news! If I seem stressed out it is because I leave for vacation at the end of July and I am afraid the headphones might not make it in time. It's rather nice they provide a tracking # for no additional shipping cost. 

Quote:
They said 2-4 weeks. It took 3. The issue was that it took 16 days to get it out of their warehouse. They obliterate the M50s, and I really like the bass on them. I think that a balanced headphone (like the Jaycars) works really well with the overtone series (kind of hard to describe consisely, but it's interesting stuff) which makes for very accurate sounding instruments/vocals. Soundstage is decent, but not super expansive. One thing that is surprising is how easy these are to drive. I only put my tablet at about 2/3rds volume, whereas my M50s need to be at almost full blast to get a comfortable volume. They don't have much of an adjustment/mental burn-in period. I've thrown everything from electronica to classic rock to acoustic, and it sounds very transparent. When I get my Shures, I'll be sure to do some A/B/(C?) testing with the Jaycars, the SRH840s, snd the M50s.

Thanks for your update! Now I really can't wait to get them! 

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,645 of 3,047
Quote:

That is good news! If I seem stressed out it is because I leave for vacation at the end of July and I am afraid the headphones might not make it in time. It's rather nice they provide a tracking # for no additional shipping cost. 

Thanks for your update! Now I really can't wait to get them! 

If you have a tracking number, be un-worried. It only took them 4 days to get from Australia to the Mid-Northern US from DHL, and a tracking number means that they're in DHL's hands.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #2,647 of 3,047
Quote:
Carefully remove the foam plug from behind the driver and replace it with some cotton, a fairly dense little wad. It makes for an impressive increase in soundstage size.
You can always put the foam back if you don't like it.

What's the theory behind that?

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,648 of 3,047
No idea, just got a wild hair when I was about to put them back together, so I removed the foam altogether. That sounded wrong, very airy and unfocused, so I tried the cotton in the thought that it might make a good mid point between the two. I think it sounds better, some may not.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,649 of 3,047

Quote: Originally Posted by CashNotCredit 

If you have a tracking number, be un-worried. It only took them 4 days to get from Australia to the Mid-Northern US from DHL, and a tracking number means that they're in DHL's hands.

Got my tracking number! Although the headphones are dispatched through Australia Post Air Mail, not DHL. 

Quote:

[size=small] Originally Posted by Magick Man 

No idea, just got a wild hair when I was about to put them back together, so I removed the foam altogether. That sounded wrong, very airy and unfocused, so I tried the cotton in the thought that it might make a good mid point between the two. I think it sounds better, some may not.

[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]
Did you do this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615030/unleash-the-full-potential-of-your-brainwavz-hm5-or-fa-003-with-mods ?

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #2,650 of 3,047
Jul 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,653 of 3,047
Quote:

How do the velour pads sound compared to stock?

Well, first off, they are not as thick as the stock pads.  So your ear is a little close to the driver.  Which resulted in a little more bass responce than I liked.  So I put a little more padding into the Shure pads.  Worked perfect.  They are just about as thick as stock now.

Isolation is less, as you would imagine.  Also, you can hear the sound "breathe" a little better.  Makes for less of an echo sound, as the stock pads would trap the sound and it would bounce around a little.

Comfort is about the same.  Just does not get as warm.

The Shure Pads fit PERFECT too, almost like they were meant for them.  Really can't beat them for the price.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2,654 of 3,047
Quote:
Well, first off, they are not as thick as the stock pads.  So your ear is a little close to the driver.  Which resulted in a little more bass responce than I liked.  So I put a little more padding into the Shure pads.  Worked perfect.  They are just about as thick as stock now.

Isolation is less, as you would imagine.  Also, you can hear the sound "breathe" a little better.  Makes for less of an echo sound, as the stock pads would trap the sound and it would bounce around a little.

Comfort is about the same.  Just does not get as warm.

The Shure Pads fit PERFECT too, almost like they were meant for them.  Really can't beat them for the price.

Right after I sell my pair all these cool modding ideas come out. >_<

The echo sound was one of the problems I had with these. I found it really distracting. I wish I could have tried this, because it sounds like exactly what I wanted out of them. Looks comfortable too. Combined with kingpage's mods and maybe some tinkering these could have become as awesome as they are reputed to be. I wonder what effect it would have if in combination with the Shure pads you covered up the vents to compensate for the increase in bass...

Man this sucks, now I'm really curious to try modding a pair of these, haha.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,655 of 3,047
Quote:

Right after I sell my pair all these cool modding ideas come out. >_<

The echo sound was one of the problems I had with these. I found it really distracting. I wish I could have tried this, because it sounds like exactly what I wanted out of them. Looks comfortable too. Combined with kingpage's mods and maybe some tinkering these could have become as awesome as they are reputed to be. I wonder what effect it would have if in combination with the Shure pads you covered up the vents to compensate for the increase in bass...

Man this sucks, now I'm really curious to try modding a pair of these, haha.

Well, I would not say all of the echo is gone.  It is still there on some songs.  I think I might try some of the other mods out there to see if I can get the sound a little more to my liking.

Still, for the price, I have been very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back