Review: Fiio E7
Jun 6, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #481 of 548
Ha, that's strange, but you know what, the only difference I can tell between my Xonar DS/ALC888/e7 is the boomier bass on the e7. Compared to the laptop onboard there is no contest however as it was horrible in every way, so I do not regret my purchase no matter what. 

I have no idea if it's the AMP or DAC but it is slightly annoying to me. The EQ is set to 0 but I've been wondering if it could be bugged or something? I've tried using it and couldn't really notice a difference between 0 & 1, above that it kept getting worse though. 

Did all those tests rather quickly mind you and I used a mere Superlux HD668b (with velour pads) and some old Pantronic IEMs. The latter sounded great with the e7's bass but the former did not, it felt boomy. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #485 of 548
The E7 has a very neutral bass response out of its DAC and with the EQ at 0, and the amp section is not very sensitive to load impedance changes, especially driving very low impedance headphones. While I am not certain of the Cowon S9 or the sound card in question, many DAP devices do suffer early bass roll off when driving very low impedance headphones. So what the listener could be hearing, is bass that was missing previously. 

I am only guessing here, however, as this would require some measurements with the actual devices in question to confirm.

Jack

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #487 of 548

Quote:
AFAIK, the E7 only works as an amp when connected via a LOD to an iPod - i.e. like the E5?

E7 works as an amp when connected to any player (iPod, Cowon, HiFi Man, Marantz CDP, Vinyl Turn Table, etc.) through its Line-In. And when any USB playing host device is connected to its USB DAC. 

The only time it doesn't work as an Amp is when it is docked to the E9, or docked with an L7 and using the L7's Lineout.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #488 of 548
It's also true that the E7 only works as an amp when connected to an ipod - in that there you are skipping the e7 DAC.  Which only makes sense since you are connecting with an analog connection.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #489 of 548
and if you buy the optional L7 attachement you can use the E7 also without the E9 as DAC only!!

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #490 of 548
Hi my first post here =)
I have read in some threads that someone from fiio is active in this forum, might be a shot in the dark but hope he reads my request =)

I discovered that the E7 works as DAC with the Nokia N8 through the N8's USB on the go cable. I have posted my observation in Headphile.org, a Filipino forum for headphiles.
You can find the link here: http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,2657.30.html

I hope FiiO could make  a customized USB cable, similar core with the stock E7 usb cable but the other end terminates to nokia N8's mini-USB input. Of course, shorter length, maybe between 10cm to 20cm and if  possible make both ends  "90degree angled", even better.

That will ditch the USB OTG connector on the N8, but im not sure if the USB OTG is proprietary, if not then it would be easier to make one.

That will make the N8 + E7 really portable without the long USB cables. 
grin.gif

If they could make one of some sort, i'll definitely order one.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #491 of 548

Quote:
They sound the same whether connected to my ipod or my laptop. I really couldn't tell the difference. And I've never amped these phones.

This amplifier is as expensive as my headphones itself
smile_phones.gif
 But I'm thinking that it will be useful when I buy better headphones than ATH-M50s in the future.

Just a quickie and i know it's so far past the date you posted it...but i just wanted to make sure you are using the usb input for the e7 and setting it as your default soundcard on your laptop. It will only work as a dac if you do that and thats how you'll notice the improvement in sound quality. If you are using the headphone out from your laptop into the headphone in on your e7 then it's not taking advantage of the dac.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #492 of 548

Quote:
The point is that E7 no longer acts as a portable device; it becomes a desktop device like any other USB powered gadgets. It is also good for the longevity of the battery, if you don't constantly charge the battery when you are not going to take it out. That's whyit is best to turn the charge off unless it is necessary to have a fully charged battery.

Oh ok so if I am planning to have the E7 plugged in with my laptop exclusively, I should set the USB charging to 'off' and it will keep the battery charge and instead drain power from the USB directly? Is that how it works?

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #493 of 548

Quote:
Oh ok so if I am planning to have the E7 plugged in with my laptop exclusively, I should set the USB charging to 'off' and it will keep the battery charge and instead drain power from the USB directly? Is that how it works?

From my experience, turning USB CHARGE = OFF just means that the E7 will not charge when connected via USB.

It will not run off USB power in this mode and the battery will continue to drain on its own.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #494 of 548

Quote:

From my experience, turning USB CHARGE = OFF just means that the E7 will not charge when connected via USB.

It will not run off USB power in this mode and the battery will continue to drain on its own.

Then what does Kingpage mean when he says its best for the battery to turn USB charge off? So that I will be doing drain/charge cycles even when the thing is plugged in constantly?

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #495 of 548

Quote:
Then what does Kingpage mean when he says its best for the battery to turn USB charge off? So that I will be doing drain/charge cycles even when the thing is plugged in constantly?

By changing it to USB Charge OFF, the E7 will use the available battery level appropriately and discharge like your mobile phone would.

I think what Kingpage means is that you should only set the E7 to USB Charge ON when you need to charge the battery from a drained state.

Leaving USB Charge ON at all times means the E7 will constantly be charged when connected via USB, and this could be detrimental to the battery life if you use it as a portable (no USB connection).

I'm pretty sure there is some protection mechanism that prevents the E7 from being overcharged but I am used to power cycling my mobile devices so I do the same for the E7.

If there is only 1 bar battery life left on the indicator, I set it to USB Charge ON. When it's finished charging I turn USB Charge OFF.

At any other battery level, I set it to USB Charge OFF and let it drain as usual if I am using it with my E9 or as a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back