Review: Fiio E7
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #496 of 548

O_o happy E7 user here and ya have it with L7 when feeding my speaker amp and enjoying it's multi usability/flexibility when @ work with my laptop + cans 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
and if you buy the optional L7 attachement you can use the E7 also without the E9 as DAC only!!

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #497 of 548
Hi! I just bought an AKG Q701, and I am about to buy the E7... But I need to know what connection (X) do I need to connect iPad>X>E7>AKG Q701. I am aware that you cant connect the E7 through the 3.5mm headphone jack, I read that you need to connect it through the 30-pin connection to have un-amped sound. But what is the difference of doing it through the apple camera connection kit, or an LOD? ( http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_cp_e_3 ) does the sound change in any way if it is connected to the E7 through USB rather than the 3.5mm line-in? 

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #498 of 548

Quote:
Hi! I just bought an AKG Q701, and I am about to buy the E7... But I need to know what connection (X) do I need to connect iPad>X>E7>AKG Q701. I am aware that you cant connect the E7 through the 3.5mm headphone jack, I read that you need to connect it through the 30-pin connection to have un-amped sound. But what is the difference of doing it through the apple camera connection kit, or an LOD? ( http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_cp_e_3 ) does the sound change in any way if it is connected to the E7 through USB rather than the 3.5mm line-in? 

If you use a standard iPod/iPad/iPhone connector to 3.5mm to the E7, your iPad will bypass its usage of the internal amplifier and instead send the sound signal to the E7. The E7 in turn acts as the amplifier, which is what you want. This is suppossed to provide the cleanest signal and sound to the E7 as the iPod/iPad/iPhone's internal amp is disabled when the LOD cable is used.

Fiio has two LOD cables (standard iDevice connector -> 3.5mm plug) to handle this duty:

1. L1 / L9 (standard cable - L9 is right angled)
  2. L3 (better quality cable)

In the absence of the LOD cable, you can use a 3.5mm interconnect to use with the E7 as an amp, but I imagine the signal isn't as clean.

Hope this helps!

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #499 of 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMarioZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But what is the difference of doing it through the apple camera connection kit, or an LOD? ( http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_cp_e_3 ) does the sound change in any way if it is connected to the E7 through USB rather than the 3.5mm line-in? 

When you use LOD to connect iPad and E7, iPad internal DAC will do the digital to analog conversion and send the line-level analog signal (which is cleaner than the headphone-out signal) to the E7, then E7 only acts as an amp to amplify the signal. But when you use the camera connection kit, you iPad will send digital data to E7 internal DAC (which in assumption should be better than iPad's own DAC, ) for digital to analog conversion and amplify it with E7's amp. So using the camera kit should give you better sound quality than using LOD, so to speak.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #500 of 548

Quote:
If you use a standard iPod/iPad/iPhone connector to 3.5mm to the E7, your iPad will bypass its usage of the internal amplifier and instead send the sound signal to the E7. The E7 in turn acts as the amplifier, which is what you want. This is suppossed to provide the cleanest signal and sound to the E7 as the iPod/iPad/iPhone's internal amp is disabled when the LOD cable is used.

Fiio has two LOD cables (standard iDevice connector -> 3.5mm plug) to handle this duty:

1. L1 / L9 (standard cable - L9 is right angled)
  2. L3 (better quality cable)

In the absence of the LOD cable, you can use a 3.5mm interconnect to use with the E7 as an amp, but I imagine the signal isn't as clean.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! So there is no difference whatsoever between the USB(camera connection kit) and the L3?

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #501 of 548

Quote:
When you use LOD to connect iPad and E7, iPad internal DAC will do the digital to analog conversion and send the line-level analog signal (which is cleaner than the headphone-out signal) to the E7, then E7 only acts as an amp to amplify the signal. But when you use the camera connection kit, you iPad will send digital data to E7 internal DAC (which in assumption should be better than iPad's own DAC, ) for digital to analog conversion and amplify it with E7's amp. So using the camera kit should give you better sound quality than using LOD, so to speak.

Thanks a lot! I will be buying the camera connection then! 

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #502 of 548
Along the same lines I have two questions.

Will the L6 LOD work the same way (bypass my Sansa View's internal amp) and deliver straight sound to my E7?

If this is the case will this give me far more battery time from my Sansa?

I tried out the E7 with my Sansa/HD280s and was astonished at the bass punch delivered to my Senns - I've never heard them like this. But that said I thought that they weren't as clean sounding as they should be.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #503 of 548
Answered in bold.

Quote:
Will the L6 LOD work the same way (bypass my Sansa View's internal amp) and deliver straight sound to my E7?
Yes, it will bypass the headphone amp section, but you should read this first.

If this is the case will this give me far more battery time from my Sansa?
It won't give you a lot more battery life. If you want more battery life, you should use the headphone-out on double amping instead (low volume on fuze and amplifies with amp)

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #504 of 548
Hi,  Just got my E7 and a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's and I'm thrilled with the set up.

I performed a search for this review, but only found 2 instances outside this thread.

It's a pretty good synopsis of the E7 and beats up the menu / keylock issue quite a lot; but still worth a read:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/03/fiio-e7-headphone-amplifierusb-dac-review/

Enjoy.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #505 of 548
Hi guys, just a quick question since I also got this E7 and I'm planning to bring this baby with me on a trip soon. Will it be safe for me to use the USB adapter (wall charger) that came with my iPhone to charge the E7?

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #508 of 548
HeadRushFan,

I have this amp on order and will be using it with Sony V6, Grado SR-90, Koss PortaPro and Shure SE530.

Explain to me what about the 530 was not impressive. The phones are impressive anyway by themselves. Did the E7 degrade the sound?

Thanks,

Viper

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #510 of 548
in other news, my Fiio E7/E9 arrived yesterday i've been using it since with my Sennheiser HD 598 and Shure SRH 940. I can say there is just maybe a slight improvement from my onboard sound but not a big night and day difference as suggested around the forums. So either:

a) my onboard sound is really good to begin with
b) the Sennheiser HD 598 and Shure SRH 940 dont need/dont benefit much from amping
c) the Fiio E7/E9 isnt just quite as good as I expected it to be
or maybe a little bit of all three.....

For me the E9 is the only reason why I'm happy with the purchase....at first I tried the E7 by itself and the sound was pretty much the same with my onboard sound card if not maybe worse, both on my netbook and my HP notebook. I even tried it with my iPod shuffle and it completely muddied the sound, although maybe that would be because I was using it with the headphone jack and not a line out jack since the iPod Shuffle doesnt have one. However with the E7/E9 combo used with my computers, I guess what I notice is that on songs with alot of bass, the bass no longer overshadows the other frequencies since I tend to use a u-shaped curve in my equalizers. I'd be listening to a song that sounded fine and as soon as a bassy part kicked in such as maybe the chorus the mids and vocals would be recessed, but the E7/E9 solves that problem. Also, many people said that the E7/E9 greatly increases sound clarity and sound crispness, but I'm not so sure about that at least for me.
Well at least, using these has made me like my HD 598 again over my SRH 940! Using both of these headphones with the amp really highlights the lack of bass impact on the SRH 940 which makes alot of my music not as fun to listen to since there is alot of pop and hip-hop in my library. And I can always upgrade to a better DAC, since I suspect that may be what is bottlenecking the sound in this case....HRT Streamer II+, I have you in my crosshairs!!! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back