Review: Fiio E7
Dec 13, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #316 of 548

Quote:
As I am retired now and although I am blessed to have a disability pension,my "fun money" is limited.So I am glad to read on these many informative pages that I can add a good sounding amp to my portable device for around 100 bucks.Heck,it took a while for me to just move up to a Sennheiser HD-448 headphone in addition to the Sennheiser EH-150 I have had for a year.I like my 448 but would like to add a little more bass to my music sometimes depending on the recording.This amp may be just the ticket.I can say without reservation that all the reviews and opinions sure help even us folks on limited budgets.

I run the 448s on the e7, and bass impact was absolutely improved.  The response was already there, but the e7 (with EQ, of course) did the job bringing a little more life to it.
You won't regret that combo, and a better choice than upgrading the phone at this point IMO.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #317 of 548
Many thanks for that info R-Audiohead.I am sure that like many folks who read these many informative pages,I get overcome with "gotta-have-itis" but then after checking the dealer or manufacturer sites I get brought down to earth with "sticker-shock". LOL But thankfully there are many less expensive options open to those of us who have champagne tastes tempered by beer budgets.I look forward to adding an amp after the Christmas season and finally hearing for myself what so many here have been enjoying and talking about.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #318 of 548
I'm slightly confused by my E7. I received the amp/DAC today and I tried it with my Iphone. To tell you the truth, the SQ sounded so much better without the E7 amp/DAC. Disappointed? Yes, I am. Confused? Yes, I am. Maybe my settings are wrong, butt I tried changing the volume setting from 20 to 60 and nothing changes. The sound quality just sounds so bad... I really have no idea why. Anyone wanna help me find out why or I'm thinking about returning this product.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #320 of 548
Hey guys, I received my E7 in Sept and I have enjoyed it since.  However, I have a LD MK III coming in Jan and was wondering if I could use the E7 as a dac with the MK III?  Something like PC -> E7 -> MK III -> Phones.

I really don't know if I can or not.  I have searched a lot of not a lot of results.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #321 of 548
Hey guys, I received my E7 in Sept and I have enjoyed it since.  However, I have a LD MK III coming in Jan and was wondering if I could use the E7 as a dac with the MK III?  Something like PC -> E7 -> MK III -> Phones.

I really don't know if I can or not.  I have searched a lot of not a lot of results.

Currently E7 can't be used as a DAC only. However the LOD kit is in development and should reach market early next year, which will allow you to use it as DAC only.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #322 of 548

Quote:
Currently E7 can't be used as a DAC only. However the LOD kit is in development and should reach market early next year, which will allow you to use it as DAC only.

Thanks for the info! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #324 of 548

Conrthomas said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am hesitant to say my first impressions, because I was using the SC's as said above. I did however plug it in to my PC and plug my 'phones in, and WOW there was an amazing improvement over the headphone out of my M-Audio USB recording platform. I didn't anticipate it to be such a noticeable difference, but the clarity and bass were WAY better than any other sound card I've ever heard.

EDIT: I am also very thankful for the quick delivery, this now means I can take my ATH-A700s, my E7, and my iPod (with Line Out cable to hook up to E7) to Florida with me next week! Sweet!

Thanks for your instruction! It's good for reference, I got more deep understanding about this part.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #325 of 548

Quote:
I'm slightly confused by my E7. I received the amp/DAC today and I tried it with my Iphone. To tell you the truth, the SQ sounded so much better without the E7 amp/DAC. Disappointed? Yes, I am. Confused? Yes, I am. Maybe my settings are wrong, butt I tried changing the volume setting from 20 to 60 and nothing changes. The sound quality just sounds so bad... I really have no idea why. Anyone wanna help me find out why or I'm thinking about returning this product.

You definitely want to be connecting the E7 to your iPhone with a LOD, and not using the headphone output on the phone to connect to the E7. I use this and it works great. The SendStation LOD will also let you charge the phone at the same time as you are playing music.

Actually, now that I think about it...you said changing the volume from 20 to 60 does nothing. The only reason I can think of for that happening is you actually are plugging your iPhone into one of the two headphone outputs on the E7. I just tried that myself just to see what even happens and yes it sounds terrible and changing the E7 volume indeed does nothing. Be sure to connect your iPhone to the input on the bottom of the E7.

I just got my E7 about two weeks ago and it's made a definite improvement with my M50s and AD700s.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #326 of 548
Can you use LOD with Ipod touch 4th gen? and which LOD cable will work (if working) for it? I am looking to buy an amp/DAC combo such as E7 for my laptop (home) and Itouch (portable).

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #327 of 548
As mentioned by FuzzyD both Sendstation and and Fiio Offer LOD solutions compatible with Ipods (touch and classic) and other sources. Check their websites.

Personally, I have a FiiO L3 and a Sendstation Pocketdock AV. Both work great with my E7 or my Airbit and my iPod/iPhone.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #328 of 548
In keeping up with this thread and using my recently purchased Fiio E5 with my AKG K142's (bugdet sound quality), I have been salivating over this puppy. I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon to replace my comparably gigantic 3 year old one, and (potentially) a tower as well. What are thoughts on the E7 and E9 combo compared to the E7 and this little gizmo for the tower?

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #329 of 548
I just ordered E7 along with FiiO L1 cable for my setup. So the setup will be like this: Itough 4th gen -> L1 -> E7 -> Sunrise SW-Xcape for portable use. For home use do I need to use E7 if I have this Art USB Dual Pre (It acts as a DAC for my laptop)? Will it improves the sound? The Art USB Dual Pre definitely improves the sound from my laptop by a lot. My laptop phone out has static noise, hiss and sound tiny compared when using the Art USB, the sound is very clear, warm and I can boost the volume even more than my laptop can do. My 1st priority from getting E7 is for portable use because before I am using the Art DAC, I love my Itouch sound, but now it sounds so tiny and not solid enough to my ear :frowning2:.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #330 of 548
I just ordered the e7 and next month I will be ordering the e9. I honestly need to stop reading these forums. Every time I come on here I end up buying something. I hate you guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back